“I felt very safe and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

You added Muyuna Amazon Lodge to your Saves list
Muyuna Amazon Lodge
2.5 of 5 Ranch   |   Putumayo 163, Ground Floor, Iquitos, Peru   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
“I felt very safe and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I would never come to jungle by myself, but my cousin convinced me to go there with her. Now I, m glad about that. It was a very good experience for me. I' m a fearful person but with our guide Edson I felt very safe. I never thought that I would see there so many different animals. The Logde is very clean, the staff is very helpful and cares about the guests. I liked the food. Every day another very delicious buffet. The rooms don't have electricity, but the oil lamps give a very romantic atmosphere.

Room Tip: We sleep in Lucky 13 with the cute bats on the roof, but every room has its own charme
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I only stayed 4 days at Muyuna Lodge but that was the best time of the entire stay in Peru (1 month). I don't think you can be closer to the nature anywhere else than at Muyuna Lodge! I have seen many birds, monkeys, sloths, spiders, lizards etc.. Piranha fishing was real fun! Those little creatures are really fast so the meat was disappearing from the hooks very quickly ( I managed to catch only 4 but I'm very proud!). All the experience I had with the jungle is thanks to the lovely staff and the guide. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. My guide Edson has an amazing knowledge about different species of animals. He could spot the animals from the distance and call them straight away in scientific names in English, Spanish and Latin! I was very impressed when he caught a caiman for us, so that we could hold it and take pictures. He was also showing us different plants and explaining the medical use of them. He took us to the local village where he explained the day to day life of people living there. I could write even more about canoeing, walking in the jungle at night time, swimming in Amazonia river... but the best thing is to experience this yourself, so don't hesitate to go there! Thank you Muyuna Lodge and Edson for the best time of my life!

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool so ignore the "poor" selection above. It was impossible to untic...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Muyuna Lodge and did their 5 day Majestic River package. We could not have been happier. If you don't mind roughing it a bit this is a great place, The rooms are basic but you are really close to nature, we loved sitting in our hamock and relaxing watching the water inbetween all the activities.
There was so much do do and see, walking, rowing, swimming, fishing, we got to see the jungle from all different aspects. Our guide was great and had alot of funny stories and always made sure we all saw what he found.
We also did their city day tour in Iquitos where we went into the Belen market which was a great experience, we really understood how the people live by walking through the market and also through the Shanty town, we felt safe with our guide and he kept a good watch out for us.
Overall our experience was great with Muyuna Lodge.

If you like roughing it a bit and want to see the real side of Iquitos and the Jungle I would definately recomend this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
reino unido
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

recently visited muyuna with my wife for the third time in 6 years..i never get bored of this place. the staff as ever are excellent.boris the new manager was extremely helpful.our guide larissa was excellent.everytime i go there its a different experience but always a good one..

simon gibb

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We spent four days, three nights at Muyuna and had a great time. Their staff in Iquitos (Rocio) was helpful in handling all of our arrangements and answering questions, and when we reached the lodge, we were surprised at how well appointed it was for being three hours up the river. Our cabin was adorable, with mosquito netting, hand fans and hammocks. Only cold water showers, but we were glad for it, because it was HOT while we were there. Lanterns at night!

They book your days pretty solid, with events before and after breakfast, again in the late afternoon and again after dinner. So it's not a place for just relaxing all day. But you CAN always back out of an event if you like.

Our one criticism: Our guide (who was funny and smart) seemed overly focused on finding wild animals for us to take photos of, without a lot of interest in talking about the plants, the region, the history. This meant that when we went on a long hike during which no wild animals surfaced, we felt like we'd been walking for an hour or two so with little learned. (It is FINE to not see wild animals all of the time, but there's lots of other things to learn about, which our guide seemed to overlook in his hunt for animals.) He always answered questions when asked, of course. We did see lots of animals and things, in the end. I think it probably just depends on the luck of the draw when you're out walking around.

The food was great, really shockingly good. And who can pooh-pooh seeing river dolphins and swimming in the Amazon? Bring long sleeves, because the mosquitoes are ferocious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I can basically only repeat all the positive feedback by the other commenters. The location is fantastic as it is remote enough to really be in the jungle. Also the houses with hammocks on the balconies overlooking an arm of the Amazon were fantastic - basic enough (no electricity) to give you a feeling of the jungle but also comfortably enough to really relax. In addition, the staff and the guides were great providing great service (good food including Piranhas fished by yourself :)) and al ot of information on the flora and fauna of the Amazon area. We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 days there and would love to do it again sometime. (The 3 days tour is packed with activity. To get some time to relax as well, you might want to plan for a longer stay.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The best thing about Muyuna is the location. It's 140km upstream on the Amazon in a really remote area that obviously doesn't get loads of tourists. Mario picked us up from the airport in Iquitos and drove us the 25 minutes into town. He's a great guy; very helpful. Just as good is Rosio, the lady who replied to my million emails and organised everything we needed. The staff at the actual lodge is brilliant too. We had an excellent guide who was so appreciative of our tip at the end. The food is unreal; varied, tasty and heaps of it. The rooms are basic, but you're in the jungle so who cares? The rooms are neat and comfortable and you feel really secluded. They're completely netted and the shower's good, but cold of course. The activities at the lodge are non-stop. Each day begins about 6.30 with a boat ride somewhere new or with a jungle walk (make sure you take gum boots; it was very muddy). There's always an evening activity out on the water or in the pitch dark jungle. We saw heaps of wildlife and had a great time. Only tip, don't sit in the back of the boat that takes you there. The diesel smoke from the motor stinks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Muyuna Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!