“A dream come true.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Iquitos
Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge
You added Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge to your Saves list
Iquitos, Peru   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Abilene, Texas
“A dream come true.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I traveled to the Amazon via Amazon Expeditions back in 98. It was pure luck that I did as I found several ads in a magazine but theirs was the only one that I didn't lose. I didn't check them out or anything...just went. It was an amazing trip !! I am a world traveler "wanna be"..this was my first trip outside of the US except for Mexico and Canada. I am an avid naturalist..majored in biology in college and read "Bomba the Jungle Boy" series as a kid growing up. Bomba grew up in South America similar to Tarzan in Africa !!! This was a dream come true...I appreciate air conditioning and other niceties like most others but also love "adventure" and doing and seeing things I've never seen and experienced. I traveled alone, so, there were some tense moments for me as it took me several minutes in a very dim Iquitos airport for me to locate my guides. That same night in a hotel?? there in Iquitos...I wasn't so sure I had made a wise decision as I had no shower and the room had 5 beds...haha...I wrote in my diary to my wife, "I am soooo glad you did not come"....but, she was a "lie on the beach with a book type". Following my first day in Peru....I had an awesome time. Yes, it is sometimes hot, sometimes cold...always humid...my guides were awesome---nevermind that our group had no idea what we wanted to do each day, so, the guides for the most part got to choose...but, since we had never done any of it..it was cool. Rudy Lazano Flores was my favorite guide...he took things pretty serious but really showed us a good time and actually talked me into getting off my rope onto a limb about 65 feet off the ground.....I was terrified that I would have to swing back over "nothingness"....haha...we sat up on the limb way above the creek bank and enjoyed watching flocks of parrots fly beneath us !! The food was good and the amenities at the main lodge were great. I really enjoyed everything we did...I did go swimming with whatever, including piranhas(sic)...I have to admit I was not comfortable about it..but we did it...!!! We did see a rare tapir in the river one day on an excursion. We ate lots of good fish !! Two weeks, in my opinion is nearly too long..however, one week is not enough....sooo, just get over it and spend 2 weeks !!! After 2 weeks, I left the Amazon and went with Amazon Expeditions again on their 47 mile hike/horseback trek with Dr Peter Lerche....viewing Inca and Chachapoyan ruins in the Andes...this was THE most awesome trip, too....the weather was great and you would want it to be...as the places we traveled would have been a nightmare in bad/rainy weather !! Kuelap fortress was explored on this trip...not as awesome as Machu Pichu...but, still a very cool fortress...amazing, actually. Our horse wranglers carried live chickens in boxes on the backs of mules...one day they disappeared and we said, "well, we're having chicken and dumplings (rice) tonight !" !!! ADVENTURE !!!

Room Tip: This form is requiring me to pick a date of travel...my trip was back in 98...so, I the date I am in...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Paul and the whole Amazonia team were fantastic. We spent 5 days at the main lodge and do not have enough good things to say. The rooms were comfortable, the food delicious, fellow travelers engaging and the staff friendly & knowledgeable.

The days are packed with activities including jungle hikes, fishing, zip lining, village visits, etc. We were especially lucky on our trip and had the chance to meet one of the few remaining authentic medicine men. That was a treat I will not soon forget!

Our only regret was that we did not book a longer stay and see the research center.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lima, Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I spent 8 days with Amazonia Expeditions both at the research center and at the main lodge. Their staff is amazing, attentive and very knowledgeable. You feel well taken care of from the first minute! I spent most of my days at the research center doing volunteer work and loved the place, it's very calm and peaceful. The food was great, big variety and they even cooked the fish that you caught if you wanted them to. The rooms were nice and clean, comfortable bed. I got to see pink dolphins, caymans, snakes, a great variety of birds and monkeys - exceptional place for people interested in photography. I also got to try spearfishing and ziplining which was great fun. To sum up, It was an unforgettable trip and I would like to go back soon again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked a couple of lodges along Amazon and had 2 nights at Tahuayo lodge. This was a fantastic, serene, isolated pearl. We, a party of 3 keen birdwatchers, was occupied all day long with exploring the surroundings by foot in the forrest and by boat along the rivers. A great deal of fantastic birds were seen with top sightseeing harpy eagle, royal flycatcher, lots of hummingbirds, antbirds, antwrens and lots of other diamonds! Food, service, beds etc was what is expected of a lodge far from civilisation. A day in the jungle makes you hungry, and food was plentyful and with lots of varieties. I loved this place with its birds, trees, flowers, butterflies, caimans, and a tour to these remote lodges along the Amazon tributary rivers is truly enjoyable. Last but not least - no need to bring your alarm clock. The jungle will wake you up before dawn....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The staff, our guide "Wenny" and the accommodations were great. What an experience! We were assisted from the time we arrived in Iquitos until we departed. Wenny's knowledge was amazing and exceeded our expectations. Don't let Wenny's quiet demeanor fool you. Comfort and knowledge with his surroundings oozes from him. Other guides that we interacted with (Jhonathan) were also wonderful. The accommodations are clean, showers are cold (a welcome relief most of the time), bed is comfortable, food is great and the people are exceptional. This was the second leg of our Peruvian trip. We began with hiking the Salkantay trail to Machu Picchu. A great wind down to culminate in a trip of a lifetime. In brief, we saw a plethora of birds, cayman, snakes, electric eels, three toed sloth, anteater, varieties of fish, bats, and monkeys. Our time was spent between the Tahuayo Lodge and Research Center.
One suggestion: Take your own insoles if you have "particular" feet. You will be wearing rubber boots to hike. I up-sized my rubber boots to accommodate my Keen water shoes. Had I taken my insoles from my hiking boots, I would have been better off.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greer, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you can't live without a hairdryer and need ice in every drink, don't go here. But if you are looking for a great experience in a very different environment, you can't beat this place. From the minute you step off the plane in Iquitos, the staff is at your side. They handle everything until you are back at the airport standing in the departure line. The food was great, the guides were all very knowledgeable and the rooms were clean. There were no hidden costs and no surprises. Be prepared to be hot and sweaty. The showers were not heated, but most days, that felt good. It was an unforgettable trip and I will consider going back to see what it is like during the rainy season (the river was very low when we were there).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sebastopol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

On my recent trip to Peru, I booked a four-night trip to the Amazon Jungle with Amazonia Expeditions. All I can say is that I wish I had booked a longer trip! This place is amazing! From my very own private guide, Jhonatan, who seemed to be able to sense and find wildlife so well that I jokingly said he had 27 eyes, to our accommodations, to our meals and especially to all the incredible employees who took such good care of us. I definitely hope to return and spend a couple of weeks exploring the grid behind the research center (with my guide, of course). My goal for this trip was to fulfill a lifelong goal to visit Machu Picchu which was fantastic, but my trip to the Tahuayo Lodge and Research Center became the highlight of my trip. I saw many different animals, birds, insects and reptiles and had the time of my life. It was unlike anything I have experienced and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge? Share your experiences!