“Unforgettable...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Iquitos
Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge
You added Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge to your Saves list
Iquitos, Peru   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
cupertino, ca
“Unforgettable...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Wonderful operation managed by the owner, excellent staffs and food, super-talented guides, especial ours: ORLANDO.
Plus... pure mother nature.. local village.. Zip lines..
Will be back!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Visiting the Amazon and the Andes has long been a dream of mine. Amazonia Expeditions popped up when I started researching, and I noticed that their Tahuayo Lodge was described as the best location of its kind in my Moon Handbook. So I signed up. To begin with, they organized my week in the Andes through Coltours. Due to all the potential coordination mishaps, I expected a lot of problems, but everything went without a hitch, and the coordinators and guides were brilliant. After the Andes, I took the Amazon part of the tour for a week and was constantly amazed, right from the start, at the quality of everyone involved. As soon as I arrived in Iquitos, I was met by my guide, Christian Silva, at the airport. He was my own personal guide and "protector" for the week (I did not expect a personal guide when I arrived), and he took me through jungles and rivers and villages all day every day. Christian should have his own TV show. He has the knowledge of an anthropologist and biologist, and a great sense of humor! He's also pretty good with a camera as he sees things than my city boy eyes just couldn't get a focus on! Christian was also extremely patient with me, particularly when there were huge spiders around! Christian, as well as his assistant Mario, and the other staff, went out of their way to make the trip the valuable memory that it is now. The 2 lodges are back to basics eco-tourist fare, high on stilts to accomodate the rising waters of the rainy season. Solar powered electricity keeps the kitchen powered, but you will need a flashlight for the evenings. Obviously there is no air conditioning (and it gets pretty hot), but sleeping comes very easily after a day of jungle trekking, and with the added attraction of the soothing sounds of the night calls of the insects and birds. I almost felt hypnotized at night. Everybody, and everything, about Amazonia Expeditions, made the whole experience the trip of a lifetime, that I hope to do at least one more time!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have nothing but praise for Amazonia Expeditions. Our entire trip was wonderful - the perfect start to a month in Peru. Our guide, Anselmo, was the best. He combined just the right mixture of professionalism, humor and kindness. With his keen eye for finding birds and wildlife, he made sure that every trip on the river was an adventure and a learning opportunity. The entire staff at both lodges was friendly and helpful. Their love of the river was obvious and contagious. Food was good and plentiful. Rooms were basic but clean. Accommodations in Iquitos were extremely nice - right on the river. Swimming with the dolphins was an amazing experience, as was floating down the river at night with no lights, no talking - it was magical. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We arrived at the pleasant and homey Tahuayo Lodge as a family of four, school-age children in tow, one of whom was exhausted and sick from previous travel, and the staff greeted us like eager family. First, we were met by energetic, knowledgeable, and doting people at the Iquitos Airport, transferred to a small river boat, and escorted to the distant lodge seamlessly. The lodge experience is rustic and activities are focussed very much on actually getting out and seeing animals, birds, and plants. The beds were wonderfully comfortable, and the jungle heat is intense enough that one doesn't even want for hot water, of which there is none due to the remote location of both lodges. They use solar panels to power themselves, river water to wash with, pure bottled water for all cooking and drinking, take good care with the environment around them, and employ lovely local people. The food is homemade, plentiful and served as you would at home: no menu, but delicious and appealing. Our guide, Cristian, was full of good outing ideas, local knowledge, stories, fun, and a quick laugh always! Our children were welcomed by the affectionate staff and felt right at home, playing on the porch with the kitties, and swinging on the amazing Tahuayo swing between forays into the jungle. Our huge family bedroom was charming, breezy, the beds amazingly comfy, and the night sounds wafting in the screened windows were melodic and peaceful. On our long travel day home, our guides even cooked us lunch and toured us around Iquitos before our flights. We loved our time spent at Tahuayo Lodge and hope to return in the wet season some day!

Room Tip: The rooms are all charming. Away from the main lodge will be the quietest.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I highly recommend the Tahuayo Lodge to all. It's in a remote area of the Amazon, and you rise and go to sleep each night with the sounds of birds and frogs and everything else in the jungle. What made the trip most special were the guides and staff who were always doing whatever they could to make the trip everything we wanted it to be -- from catering to our food wishes to allowing us to individually plan each day's activities to letting us know a lot of information about all the birds, monkeys and plantlife we were seeing. The guides were knowledgable, kind and sweet and always made us feel happy, adventurous, safe and at peace in such a beautiful place. I fell in love with the jungle - its sounds, its sights, its animals, its adventures -- and want to go back as soon as I can. I won't go into detail into all the incredible activities we did because they're on the web site or in the packet you'll get (feel free to email me for more info - alli.harper13@gmail.com), but suffice it to say that from 6am to 10pm each day, there was never a moment that wasn't full of beauty, fun and/or peace. 5 days wasn't enough. I highly recommend this lodge and its guides and staff, who know the jungle inside and out, which allows for an incredible introduction into this beautiful place in the world. Thanks to all at the lodge who made for such a special experience for me and my mother.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

What can I say, the proof is in the pudding, which is why I keep going back to the Amazon, and why I keep using Amazonia Expeditions as my tour company of choice. This is my fourth time using them as my jungle outfitter. It all started in 1997 when everything on the internet seemed to be just a scam. I discovered Amazonia Expeditions while working at Lincoln Park Zoo. Paul Beaver the owner was giving a presentation at Lincoln Park Zoo and so I looked him up on the Better Business Bureau and he had great reviews, in addition to presenting his company at a renowned zoo, I felt confident this was the company I wanted to go with. With guides who are not only knowledgeable in the wildlife and plants, his staff has the highest level of ethics in terms of preserving the forest and the people and wildlife in which it supports. Our guide was Alfredo and in addition to his ability to guide us on night excursions, boat excursions, day trips to the village where we played volleyball and soccer with the kids, ziplining through the jungle, he is the guide to be with if you are an avid photographer. Most of the pics you see on the Amazonia Expedition website are his. I can say that from the time you get off the plane to the time you leave Iquitos, I felt very safe and looked after while touring with this company, thank you again Paul, Dolly and Alfredo, you made this trip as memorable as the last. Karen.

Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We had a great time while we stayed here and the food was good. We had a lot of nice an unexpecting ecperiences in the jungle with the animls we saw. It was very interesting and can recomand it to others. We got our own guide, and the only thing that was just little bit negtive ws that the guide did not listed good enough for our wishes for things we wanted to do, so we did not do all the thing we would have. But I loved the stay here. Just great :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge? Share your experiences!