“Nice food, fun trips, great experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heliconia Amazon River Lodge

You added Heliconia Amazon River Lodge to your Saves list
Heliconia Amazon River Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   On the bank of the Amazon River | 50 miles north of Iquitos, Iquitos, Peru   |
Roseville, Minnesota, USA
“Nice food, fun trips, great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My friend and I booked a 3-day Amazon tour at Heliconia Amazon River Lodge, and it was just fabulous! People there are welcoming and nice. The lodge is very clean and comfortable. The food is just awesome and they provide different cuisine everyday! Our tour guide is a very funny guy too. He brought us to Piranha fishing, boating and hiking in jungle, and showed us to local villages. We even had a most delicious ever pineapple in the rain forest! It was an unforgettable trip.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was a very comfortable venue, the staff were excellent, very helpful and obliging. It was a wonderful experience of the jungle and the amazon river. Altogether it was an unforgettable trip with very experienced guides and a full programme of activities together with well presented tasty food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kaysville, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our Humanitarian group of 42 people stayed at this Lodge for two weeks. It far exceeded my expectations in every way! It is located about fifty miles from Iquitos by boat and is located in the middle of the jungle. The beauty and surroundings are breathtaking! It felt like we were in paradise as we were surrounded by a variety of beautiful flowers, plants and wildlife – it was very peaceful. The Lodge itself was also very comfortable. The rooms were large, clean, screened and protected from the bugs. A small room off the side with a hammock added to the already spectacular view. It was a nice place to relax after a busy, hard working day.

Our group served a little village of just under 300 people. The guides made sure we were able to accomplish all our projects. They even worked alongside us or helped us interpret. They became part of our group and we loved them as if they were our own family. Our group pays special tribute to our guides: Victor, Llyacko, Daniel and Freddy for making this trip an experience of a lifetime. Our group worked very hard and it felt nice to come back to such a lovely hotel with staff that really took the time to care about us. Our guides also took us on some amazing tours: Piranha fishing, day and night jungle walks and pink dolphin watching. These tours made us appreciate and love the place even more.

The food was absolutely delicious. Great care was taken in its preparation and was completely safe to eat. They even went above and beyond what was expected to look out after a couple of members of our group (one was Vegan and the other had celiac disease). I can’t stress enough how good the care was here. They even baked cakes and surprised two of our team members when they learned that it was their birthdays. Marina and Betty cared for us as if we were their own. We can’t thank the staff at Heliconia enough for our wonderful stay – it was exceptional and we all shed tears when we had to go. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. You will love your experience at Heliconia Lodge!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went from 17 to 21 of June. The place was not only what I was looking for. Peaceful (no phone no internet, no tv and I am a TV person). This place is located one hour from Iquitos by boat, in the middle of the jungle and the tours and hikes contributes with the local artists and community. The tour were educational. The food was excellent, fresh, tasty, well presented, the juice and water safe. Even when I took my bottle of listerine to sanitize my toothbrush and my traveler pack (for diahrrea etc) I did not get sick from any of the fresh fruit, juice or water I ate andor drink in this place. I am peruvian and live in the U.S. for 14 years. I compare their customer service and it was just great as good if not even than a 5 star hotel in Peru or USA. I told the next day of my arrival that the size bed I booked was a king and not double and without arguing with me the manager check on it. When I came back from my tour she had my new room ready to move in. My tour guide was Daniel. He was knowledgeable and patience. He also listens. My hike took longer than expected because I got an old back injury which I mentioned in one of our conversations. I also once mentioned in one of our boat trips that I wished I could hear just the sound of the rainforest. Without even asking, on our next trip he asked his crew to turn off the motor for me. it made my whole experience along the amazon river worth it. I enjoyed my trip so much. I usually change places whenever I travel to Peru to know and learn something different but definitely I will return next year with my friendsto Heliconia Lodge.When I went bacl to my city of Lima I missed Heliconia for the way the personalized their customer service. I got spoiled! Thank you guys, you are the best!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Lima, peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I traveled with my three sons, granddaughter and her friend and a family of friends to stay in a hotel in Iquitos for one night (owned by the same people) and then traveled by launch to the Heliconia Amazon River Lodge and spent three days and two nights there. I am a senior citizen plus, my sons are in their forties and my granddaughter and friend are sixteen, the family of friends were a couple in their forties and their two children under ten. We all had a wonderful time since the activities at the lodge are many and there are appropriate things for all age groups.

The activities at the lodge included river rides in the evening to hear the sounds of the forest, fishing for piranas, hiking in the forest, early morning bird watching, visits to a local native community, excursions to a butterfly habitat, and others. There was a swimming pool, very clean and well cared for, that was available until evening. The rules at the hotel encorurage quiet and insist on it after nine oclock in the sleeping areas. There is a lounge, bar were there is singing until late but the lodge is so well planned that noise does not reach the rooms where some want to sleep early after a long day of enjoyable activities.

I take time to provide this recommendation because I greatly appreciated that the staff was extremely kind and considerate of special needs. I am a very senior citizen and would stay behind in the boat when excursions included fairly steep climbing.....the staff took care of me by checking up on me but not too much in order to let me listen to the sounds that I found so fascinating.

My granddaughter is a vegetarian with her own quite particular version and the chef of the Lodge made extra effort to prepare things that she liked very much. We were all very grateful to the chef for the special interest and care she gave to the food in general and especially for the attention to my granddaughter's needs.

The rooms are very comfortable and the layout of the lodge makes it possible for a family to have rooms together but quite independent from other guests. The rooms are immaculate and have a small balcony with a chair and a hammock to be able to hear sounds at night. The rooms are very tightly enclosed so that there was no bug in my room during the time I was there. As a matter of fact, I had no bites on the whole trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was our second stay at the Lodge (the first was 13 years ago), and we chose it because we new that we would get to experience a number of things that we wanted from our Amazon experience. The facilities are constantly being improved and the pool was a nice new inclusion. The food was good, with plenty of variety and good local juices to try. They cooked the fish that we caught for us and told us about local plates to try and were happy to prepare them for us. We got a basic fishing trip where you did catch something, jungle walks (in day time and at night), saw the pink dolphins, travelled into the jungle lakes etc. Facilities include a good games room for kids. Don't expect a raw adventure in the wilderness or a luxury resort with 24 hour electricity, but short of a luxury cruise I don't know that they exist in the Amazon. We visited with our 5 year old boy and the tours and facilities were perfect for his enjoyment. They are adding new facilities and options all the time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at Heliconia for 3 nights and had a brilliant time. The rooms and the facilities including the pool are to a really high standard and make it a brilliant place to chill out between excretions.

We went on jungle walks, boat trips, canoe trips, pink dolphin watching and swimming in the amazon. Our guide Victor was great and we had a great jungle experience.

The food was amazing and we tried so many different types of fruit.

We did visit a amazon community but it was at a site that was just used for tourists and therefore felt less invasive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Heliconia Amazon River Lodge? Share your experiences!