“Little jungle heaven” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L.

You added San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L. to your Saves list
San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L.
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   San Pedro - Rio Nanay, Iquitos, Peru   |
Ranked #12 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Little jungle heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the lodge fot 3 days and I must say that is was not enough. We wanted to see so many things, but we had too little time. We only did one one day trip, to swim in the Amazon river, where we also weathered a huge storm, which gave us a whole new respect for the mighty river. We also visited the butterfly sanctuary and had to dance with a local Bora community (the only unpleasant part, but cannot be avoided) . The staff is really friendly and hard working, even if you don't speak much spanish. It really helps though. The guide Gino speaks very good english and has a lot of patience for stupid questions. The stay at the lodge is very serene, the food diverse and for breakfast we had a lot of pancakes and quinoa with coconut milk and fruit, my favourite. Thank you for getting up in the middle of the night, to prepare us pancakes on our departure day. It is also not expensive compared to other things we looked at. The only thing we were sorry about was not booking earlier, so we could have a private bungalow, which is by the river with beautiful surroundings. You can take out a boat and go fishing or swimming or just chill sipping beer and reading a book. The owner Cato was very helpful and told us a lot of interesting stories about the life in Iquitos and the projects to help the local people. Unfortunately he got sick, and had to leave. But still in his sickest moments, he still cared for all the guests and tried to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Cato I wish you all the best with your projects for the lodge and helping the local community. I also hope that you are well now.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CatoErga, Owner at San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L., responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you so much for you kind words. It was a pleasure having you guys at the lodge. Hope you return one day. Yes, I am feeling much better now, thanks. :)

Cato, Jino, Olmes, Clari and Walter

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed here late Nov, 2013...it's a really great place, Jino is really helpful and great to talk to. The lodge is located a stone's throw away from San Pedro village and the folks their are really fun to hang out with - had a few rounds with the guys during a thunderstorm on my first day there - if you speak some Spanish it really makes a difference as you will find the folks there to be totally fun to hang out with and open to you and the stories you have to share. The food was excellent, I see why everyone raves about the pancakes - they were tasty, but everything cooked, from the fish, to the chicken to the "chancho" was that good, my compliments to Clarita (not sure if I got the name correct). They arranged for me to have a guide who took me out to see the "lupuna tree" and he was very good at pointing stuff out about plants and animals. He took me to his farm and showed me his beehives, really a great adventure at a reasonable price. Virgin forest can be found within a (strenuous) two hour walk....The folks who run this lodge have their hearts and minds in the right place...and it shows..it was definitely worth every dime, and I will come back next time I am in IQT... I think you can spend more $$$ to be further out, but I am not convinced you would have a better time, and while you might see a few more animals it is incrementally so, as there is a lot going nature-wise right there on the Nanay...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

In 2012 we visited the lodge for the first time. We stayed for 3 days and 4 nights. Every day we did a tour wich where very well organized. This year,once again in Peru, we wanted to visit the southern amazon, park Manu. In the end that didn't work out and we decided to go to the San Pedro lodge again. We didn't have a set plan jet, but that's no problem for them, their always flexible and willing to see what suites your plans.
They have a nice shared space where you can sit together and have a drink, or just lay in a hammock. The suites are very good and clean and have musquito nets.Some of them have there own porch with hammock. The food is very good and fresh, and they also serve a very nice vegetarian meal. The staff is always very helpfull, doing everything to make your visit a pleasant stay and make you feel welcome. Guides now what their talking about and do it with passion not just because they have to work. The first day we just stayed at the lodge to relax and enjoy some swimming and canoing. Then we did the 3 day tour with guide Lobo and stayed overnight at his house near Yarapa river. A very good tour, also with nice,basic, accomodation and good meals. (vegetarian possible)
Sure can recommend this tour too.
Lobo and the lodge work good together, they don't just sent you off but come to pick you up or bring you there. Afther the 3 day tour we wanted to go to Yurimaguas by lancha, but in the end whe became short at time as the boat had one day delay. We went back to Iquitos and decided that we'd rather stay in the Lodge one night then go in the center to find an hostel. Again they came to pick us up and take us to the lodge.
Next day we had the delicous banana pancakes for breakfast and while our flight was at 18:30 we could enjoy most of the day there.
With the san pedro foundation the also try to improve certain important in the village. Very good work!
Gues we will come back here again you never know.
Thanks again to everyone from San Pedro lodge for a pleasant stay.

Barry and Gerard

Please note that this is a Lodge in the amazon, with no hot water, no wifi, no minibar, no airco etc. So if you're not advantoures, afraid of insects, or can't do without facebook or Mac Donalds food for a few days, then don't go there ;-))
Otherwise; enjoy your stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CatoErga, Owner at San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L., responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hi Barry and Gerard,

Thanks for your great words. I am sorry for not being there this year either. Lets hope that you return a third time. I heard that all good things are 3, so we might meet then. :) I am glad that you had a great time. I informed the staff about your review and they all say gracias and buenas suerte!

Olmes, Clari, Walter, Jino and Cato
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Where to start?
Close your eyes and picture this, my most treasured memory. You wake, early dawn. Not quite full daylight. You sit up in bed and scan the 180 degrees through fly screened windows and see silhouetted tropical trees and plants and hear the rustle and call of unidentified animals and birds. The splash of leaping fish and even the strangely comforting sound of raindrops on your leaf thatched roof. If ever there was a time to feel lucky to be alive, this is it.

If you need luxury, pampering and to be aloof from local life, go somewhere else.

Just 10 minutes from arrival at San Pedro Lodge you feel like you are visiting an old friend who wants to make you feel comfortable, at home, well fed and feeling happy.

We had the most wonderful week there, in the company of some super people, enjoying all of our trips out which were great value, very enlightening and with brilliant local guides. The whole thing was just perfect in every way.

The staff, all local people, are magnificent and the owner, Cato Erga, has a wonderful philosophy on life and commerce in general. Briefly, the "Lodge" is a non profit-making venture. At least, not for Cato. All income supports the local village. ( Read about the San Pedro Lodge Foundation which will support and enhance the local school and village life).

I know this will embarrass him, but Cato is such an interesting and committed nice guy that you wish he was a relative.

We wish you Cato every success in your dreams and schemes and we wish you dear reader the same truly remarkable experience that we enjoyed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Jo and Dennis,

Wow! That was one amazing review. I think some saltwater almost left my eye here. :) Thanks you so much. It was a truly pleasure to have you guys at the lodge as well. We talked about you after you left the lodge and we all said: "I hope my better half and me have a relationship like that when we are getting a bit older." You are an amazing couple with so much good energy being spread around you. I wish you all the best in the future.

Take care!
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here in September 2013 and loved it. We were picked up at the airport and taken for a short boat ride to the lodge. The owner Cato had nonstop energy, amazing stories and always made sure everyone was well taken care of. The meals were all excellent. The lodge is very active in supporting the local community, everyone nearby knows them and they are super friendly. Some great day trips available from the lodge and more from nearby Iquitos. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hi,

Thanks for your great review. I am so sorry, but I can not quite figure out who you are based on the username and review. But since there only has been wonderful people at the lodge I can surely say that it was a pleasure to have you at the lodge as well. :) Hope to see you again sometime in the future.

Colchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed here in March 2013. We thorougly enjoyed our stay here and arranged all our tours with the San Pedro Lodge, we were in safe hands.

We had a shared bathroom twin room, which was absolutely spotless and ample for our needs. We were greeted at the airport and had all our needs met, throughout our stay and trips. Breakfast was fantastic and vegeterian diets are catered for.

Friendly, peaceful and serene sums up the San Pedro Lodge. Gart is like ourselves a big animal/wildlife lover. On a trip to the zoo we encountered a lady with a baby green anaconda touting it for photo's. We never support this practice and like Gart we noticed a bandaid stuck around the baby anacondas body. On questioning the lady, she informed Gart it was placed over the anacondas body to stop it peeing on tourists! Well at this point Gart informed the lady, what she was doing was cruel, and promptly officially reported her to the zoo wardens.

A big thank you to Gart, Antonio, Anthony, Jino, Robinson and his Dad (who are a comedy duo) for our wonderful stay and trips. Together you made this time the highlight of our stay in Peru. We hope to return one day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the San Pedro Lodge. Cato, the owner, is great host. He took care of all meals and transportation and made us feel at home. This lodge is one of the few that really supports the local community. It really gives you the authentic jungle experience, which is exactly what you want when visiting the Amazon. We really enjoyed the day trips, our guide Gino was awesome!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CatoErga, Eier at San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L., responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hola Thys and Evi,

Thank you so much for you kind words. It was a pleasure to have you guys at the lodge. And again thank you for lendning me your mac to copy my files. Hope to see you guys again some day.

Take care
Cato

Been to San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L.

Address: San Pedro - Rio Nanay, Iquitos, Peru
Location: Peru > Loreto Region > Iquitos
Bar / Lounge Beach Free Breakfast Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Hotel Class:3 star — San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L. 3*
The San Pedro Lodge is a modest but comfortable jungle lodge that offers the best of both worlds. It is located on the Nanay River, at less than two hours from down town Iquitos and less than an hour from the airport, but you would never know it, for its peaceful rainforest environment.Come and enjoy the beauty of the Peruvian Amazon rain forest, which has the highest biodiversity on earth. We will take you on a variety of day trips and tours to destinations throughout the Iquitos region.Or you can simply stay at the lodge and enjoy the tranquility of our forests and lakes. Go for a swim, a canoe ride, a jungle hike deep into the forest, or a village visit; we promise you, you will not be bored.The lodge has four bungalows, each with first-class beds and bathrooms with showers. Two bungalows have two rooms each that share a bathroom;the other two bungalows have one room each, with a private bathroom.All beds are fitted with mosquito-nets.Our rates are among the lowest in the region. A single room starts at just 60 soles (21 dollars) per night, and that includes breakfast and a free airport pickup. Drinking water and fresh fruit drinks are also free of charge, as well as the accommodations you can use at the lodge.Please let us know your wishes and special requests and we will work hard to make your dream trip into the Amazon rainforest a reality. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, HostelBookers, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage San Pedro Lodge E.I.R.L., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.