“A good experience in the middle of the Amazon” 4 of 5 stars

Jr. Huallaga 210 | 2 Piso, Iquitos, Peru   |
Ranked #26 of 96 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“A good experience in the middle of the Amazon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Upon arrival to Iquitos, I was surprised to be picked up an delivered to my hotel by Maniti. My tour did not begin until the next day. The next morning I was picked up by the owner of the company - Guido. He was ontime and was very organized.

We went by boat to the camp which is 30km outside of Iquitos in middle of the jungle. Make no mistake - the camp is very nice given you are in a 3rd world location and in the middle of the jungle. It is not a 5-star resort. They offer an authentic Amazon experience. There is running water, but power is limited to certain hours of the day from a generator. It's enough to see where you're going at night and charge your camera batteries.

The guides were very friendly and wanted to teach people about the surroundings. We toured many of the local villages and jungle areas.

Upon return to Iquitos we were met again by Guido who had transportation organized to the airport for our flight home. They look after their customers.

Overall a fun experience. Probably not a trip for small children, but that has more to do with the area and the condition of Iquitos than the trip provider.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My guide Edison was fantastic, he is very knowledgeable about all things Amazon, and he worked very hard to ensure I had the best trip possible.

In regards to the accommodation, food, or anything else, do not expect much. Overall the value for money is very poor.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ManitiExpedition, Manager at Maniti Camp Expeditions, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear " liz_kay27 ",

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Maniti Camp Expeditions here on Tripadvisor. We are very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

As we mentioned to you at the time of your booking, you booked a "budget tour" and did not want to stay at the main lodge, the accommodations at our budget lodge are much simpler compared to our main lodge.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and are happy that we managed to sort this out for you; after your communication with our Food and Beverage Manager.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and deliver the best service Maniti Camp Expeditions is well known for.

Regards,

Karina Veramendi Reyes
Managing Director
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a really good time on this trip. Rene was our guide- he's a really nice bloke, gave us a great insight into what it's like to live on the Amazon, and looked after us well. The rest of the people we met there were really nice and helpful too.

If you are primarily interested in wildlife then I'd suggest one of the longer camping trips the company does- this tour is a mix of wildlife and getting to know the people. I think they can arrange more individually-tailored trips for you with guides if you ask.

As for the lodge, I'd refer you to some of the other comments about it. We were fine there, but I can see it might not be suitable for everyone. I think the website should have better information about what the lodge is like so people can be clearer on whether this is the right trip for them.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had the best time exploring the jungle with these guys. Our guide Edi absolutely made the trip, he is such a wise and friendly guy. The food was outstanding and the experience incredible. Do not expect luxury accommodation by any stretch of the imagination. It is basic with no electricity and no running water but that's why we were there to get back to Pacha Mama and enjoy her true beauty. I highly recommend it...!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My brother and I recently decided to spend 2 weeks in Iquitos to explore the amazon jungle. Right away we were put into touch with the owner of Maniti Camp Expeditions, Guido. Guido was nice enough to take us on his boat to a floating restaurant where we discussed tour options and we put together our "ideal" experience. He was very agreeable to everything we wanted and even allowed my brother to bring a case of beer with him for the times he wanted to relax in the hammock. Our guide, Omari (highly recommended) spoke good English and was a pro at identifying animals in the jungle. He was also very helpful with regards to any special requests we had (IE: more fishing, more night walks, etc...).

The facilities that we were at were VERY rustic (which we wanted). We were hoping for a true "camping" feeling, and this was pretty close. I would not recommend the smaller of the two camps to anyone that expects any bells and whistles. This camp is bare bones!

The food, I have to say, was also excellent. It's funny that I actually gained weight on this trip, due to the generous portions of rice and banana they give you, not to mention all of the various types of meats (and the fish you catch gets cooked as well!).

Price-wise, Guido gave us a very good price right off the bat (highly competitive) without any haggling or salesman tricks. We asked around at other camps and their pricing structure was generally the same, or higher.

Overall, my brother and I had a very enjoyable experience with Maniti and I would recommend them to anyone wishing to experience the jungle!

Room Tip: Bring flashlights!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Brisabne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have never written a review before, even when I have been disappointed with something, I rarely complain and was not going to write a review of the Maniti Camp until Rick emailed me asking for a tripadvisor review. I feel that the degree to which we were mislead regarding Maniti Camp Expeditions demands that I provide some sort of warning to other people considering a trip in the Amazon.

The trip began quite well, we were picked up at the airport and went on our boat ride to the Camp. The boat was pleasant, with some hammocks that were quite relaxing. Once we arrived at the Camp we were all very surprised to find that it looked nothing like the pictures on the website.

We climbed up a mud cliff and walked through a path for about 50m where people seemed to be living. The camp had one small dining room with two small tables and 3 or 4 raised cabins. There was only 1 light in the whole camp, located in the kitchen area, and so it was difficult to get around at night, and I wouldn't recommend the Camp for anyone with poor vision or who is a bit older. It could be particularly difficult for older people because the camp is raised and some of the cabins do not even have handrails on the platform leading to the cabin. I thought this was quite dangerous at night when there was no light.

There was no way for us to charge anything at the camp, although there was a solar charger that was capable or charging some types of mobile phones. There was one manual flush toilet (you pour dirty water in to make it flush) and there was no toilet seat. There was no shower or way to wash yourself with clean water.

The activities were quite good, the jungle walking, piranha fishing and dolphin spotting were all enjoyable and the guide was helpful. The food was very basic, which is not so bad, but there was barely enough food for everyone staying at the Camp and often we couldn't access fresh water because it had not been poured into the two jugs in the Camp.

Perhaps the worst part of this is that we were never warned about the conditions in the Camp. If we were warned about how basic it is we would have bought charges, fresh water and torches. While in Iquitos we came across lots of lodges that provide much better amenities and so I would recommend that people to stay in these lodges if they do not want to essentially camp.

I did a fair bit of research before choosing Maniti Lodge. There were mostly good reviews and the pictures looked good. All I can gather is that we were sent to another lodge, a lodge not pictured on the website, and that the people who provided good reviews stayed at the better lodge.

In summary, if you are thinking of staying at an Maniti Camp, I believe you can definitely do much better. It is completely overpriced for the meagre lodgings and food provided. One group staying with us described their stay as an ordeal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear "Amazondisaster",

As we mentioned to you at the time of your booking, you booked a "budget tour" with us as you were concerned about money and mentioned being on a tight budget, the accommodations are much simpler compared to our main lodge. We have re-designed our website and are offering "budget tours" to the more basic lodge and our regular tours are run out of our main lodge. Travelers who wish to pay a discounted price for more simple accommodations may do so if they wish. All tours ran out of the main lodge includes 14 private bungalows with private bathrooms, a very large hammock area and a large common room with a bar with plenty of lights around the entire camp.

Both lodges are now equipped with multiple solar panels and a large gasoline powered generator so that travelers can recharge their electronics in the evenings. All lodges include bottle, purified water and plenty of food for all guests during their entire stay.

Please be assured that your feedback will be communicated with the respective departments and we will strive to improve our products and services by taking your comments into consideration.

In the meantime, we sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future so that we can provide you with a more complete experience.

Kind Regards,

Karina Veramendi Reyes
Managing Director
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I booked the 3d/2n excursion. I exchanged several emails with Rick and found him a pleasure to deal with, always a prompt response. We were met in the airport by a porter who collected our bags and brought them to the car, I hadn't realised he was an airport employee so have some smaller notes with you for a tip, there's a bank in the airport if you need to change money..

We were driven directly to the hotel (not included and we booked this separately). We were told we'd be picked up the following morning.

We were met the next day by our guide George and his boss at the hotel reception. We paid the remaining balance and they explained the itinerary for the next few days. We explained that my husband had no raingear so we all hopped in a mototaxi to a hardware shop to buy a poncho. And then off to the port to meet our boat.

It's about 2 hours to our first camp and on the way we stopped off to see Pirhanas and Paiche fish, there were some Caimens and turtles here too. We arrived at the 'rustic camp' later that day, after a short walk from the shore you arrive at the camp, all buildings are on stilts. This is rustic so be prepared, that said I really enjoyed it. Our room had a double bed with mosquito net and a paraffin lamp for light at night. Bring head torches its much easier to get around at night. The rooms are screened off so keeps the bugs to a minimum. This place won't be for everyone. The food was great I really enjoyed it. In the evening you can relax in the dining area or laze in the hammocks. I had a great nights sleep, really nice to wake up to the sounds of the jungle.

After lunch on the first day we went to Monkey Island. It's about 20mins by boat and a lot of fun. The monkeys are well used to guests and will generally jump up, climb all over you and use you as a climbing frame. Make sure your bags are closed as they will try get in there to find food. There are also parrots, toucans and anacondas and they get up close and personal too.

You can also expect night jungle walks, daytime jungle walks, pirhana fishing, lots of rain and spectacular thunder storms.

Our guide George was brilliant, very knowledgable and tried to tailor the walks to show us what we wanted to see. We saw lots of animals, frogs, spiders etc. a really worthwhile trip.

The lodge on the second night wasn't great, the rooms and bathroom were tiny although it was nice to have a shower. But there was no mosquito net and I would have preferred this. I got bitten a lot during the night. I preferred the rustic camp to be honest. Food was ok though.

On our last day we visited a local tribe, this wasn't really my cup of tea but worth seeing I guess, I thing it's more of an opportunity to sell souvenirs than anything else.

I asked to go to the Butterfly farm and Maniti did organise this for an extra cost, I didn't mind paying the extra fee for entrance but we missed out on Belen because of this and I hadn't realised we would. We also didn't get to see the Caimens at night that was part of the itinerary.

We were brought back to Iquitos and transferred to the hotel by mototaxi.

Overall it was an excellent tour, George was excellent, just a couple of small things. Be prepared to rough it, pack only essentials and have a great time.

Room Tip: If you think that you are camping then you're elections will be about right. Don't expect t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Maniti Camp Expeditions? Share your experiences!