“Very good tour” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Very good tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was a well organized two day tour starting from Iquitos and going through the Amazon jungle. The staff at the Maniti lodge was able to accomodate my schedule as my flight was flying out of Iquitos at 5 pm the second day. The lodge was very nice and food was absolutely delicious. The tours through the jungle and river were well organized and fun. The only issue I had was on the last day the staff sent a speedboat to pick me up early as they thought I was taking an early flight out of Iquitos. This would have cut my tour time short however I did have a copy of my itinerary which they were able to confirm with the airline and subsequently extend my tour.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My Girlfriend and I did a 3 night 4 day expedition with maniti in June this Year.
Homer was our guide and he was great. It's great to see someone so passionate about their job.
The accomodation was basic (as expected) but comfortable and the food was good and plentiful.
The only downside to the stay was the fact we couldn't stay overnight in the treehouse. We were told it was because the water was too high however other groups there at the same time got to experience it.

I would definately recommend this company

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

After trying to navigate some of the other Eco-tourism companies that depart from Iquitos (with little success), Maniti Camp Expeditions came to the rescue! Not only did they provide an immediate response, but they were extremely flexible in accommodating my requests. My initial conversation with Rick was excellent--he was prompt in responding to my inquiry, he was informative about the diversity of experiences available to me, and he was honest about the type of services that would and could be provided. Most importantly, Rick asked about what type of experience I was looking for, and I can say with 100% certainty that Maniti delivered on all of my requests.

My requests: I am a practicing biologist / educator, and I was looking for an experience in the Jungle not only for professional development, but also for personal development. I asked specifically for a remote Jungle experience, with a knowledgeable guide (knowledgeable specifically about the local flora and fauna).

My Trip: Upon arrival in Iquitos, I was met by a representative from Maniti and was introduced to my guide, Ajuco ("a-shoe-co"). I was driven from Iquitos to Nauta via taxi (1.5 hours), and then subsequently boarded a private boat transport from Nauta to a local village on the Ucayali River (1.5 hours). The beauty of the Amazon was beyond description, and it was wonderful to finally abandon my cell phone, laptop, iPad, and to simply enjoy the thought of just being, and the hope of experiencing something completely out of the ordinary.

Upon arrival at the Maniti Camp, I was immediately provided with private, comfortable accommodations. The set-up is basic: 6-8 private rooms, each consisting of a bed (with mosquito net), a place to store belongings, 4 walls, a roof, and lighting (from 6:00pm-9:pm). There was a common area with hammocks and chairs adjacent to the Ucayali river, which made an excellent place to read and relax. In addition, there was a common eating area, completely screened in (and might I add that the food was excellent). The staff was upbeat and friendly, and the guests were as well. Note: Anyone expecting or desiring 5-star accommodations shouldn't even be in this region of Peru in the first place. You should be willing to embrace the difference in lifestyle, culture, etc . . . with the hope that you come away as a better version of yourself (I certainly did!)

Now for the Jungle: This was the best part of the experience for me. I was dropped off with my guide Ajuco (and some basic supplies . . . food, water, pots, sleeping pads, etc), to a nearby jungle area, that to the best of my knowledge was uninhabited by people. For three days, Ajuco and I navigated the various trails (that he had cut himself), searching for Howler monkeys ("shhhh howler"), fishing for Wolf-fish and Oscar, and exploring the various flora and fauna of the region. His knowledge of the biology of the region was unparalleled. He was a trained ornithologist who knew both by sight and sound, the calls of countless avian, mammalian, and amphibian species. There was not a dull moment in our 3 days spent in the jungle . . . from the 4am Howler Monkey expeditions (very successful), to our various morning, afternoon, and evening hikes, our discussions about the various medicinal uses of local plants, fishing, etc . . I found myself busy, interested, excited, (and happy) from start to finish. I applaud Ajuco's energy and enthusiasm, and I sincerely hope that I have the opportunity to connect with him again in the future.

Another notable fact: I was venturing off on another research expedition the following week, and I was missing a vital piece of equipment. My guide (ajuco) travelled with me into Iquitos (on his own), and helped me to locate and purchase the necessary equipment!! He certainly did not have to do this for me (there was no charge, or even thought of a charge), and it certainly speaks to his genuine kindness and character. I will not soon forget this man.

The consensus . . .
Maniti is a professional company able to offer you a genuine Eco-tourism experience. They are honest, friendly, and they offer safe, hospitable accommodations to anyone looking for a unique Jungle experience. The guides are knowledgeable, friendly, and the experience is something that I will not soon forget. Thank you Ajuco, and thank you Maniti for providing excellent, honest, flexible, and reliable service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked a 5 night custom tour (3 night Amazon tour based at a lodge and a 2 night camping/fishing expedition.
We arrived at the lodge dissapointed, the pictures online of the lodge were very different to the lodge we arrived at. Secondly we are later to find out that the fishing equipment we were told would be supplied was not available at that particular lodge. Due to our dissapointment the guide moved us up river to another lodge - the lodge we were expecting! (Apparently you could choose which lodge when booking - this was news to us) We then completed a days fishing in total. The peacock bass fishing was another dissapointment due to the fishing equipment they supplied as peacock bass cannot be caught in piranha infested waters with the bait/lines we were given.On a positive note when we complained they were quick to rectify and the tours in the jungle were brilliant, our guide "Acoocha" was very good.Anyone looking to book with Maniti make very clear your expectations at time of booking and again at the Iquitos office.If fishing then take your own fishing equipment should you want to fish for anything other than piranha!

• Stayed August 2012
ManitiExpedition, Owner at Maniti Camp Expeditions, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear "Belz_12",

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Maniti Camp Expeditions and for sharing it here on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to inform you that we have updated all of our pictures on Tripadvisor so that they clearly and accurately reflect our lodge and the accommodations offered here. We have purchased 16 new "light tackle" fishing rods and reels and 4 new "heavy tackle" fishing rods and reels for the peacock bass, paiche and other large fish.

Just to clarify, we have re-designed our website and are offering "budget tours" to the more basic lodge and our regular tours are ran out of our main lodge. This way users who wish to pay a discounted price for more simple accommodations may do so if they wish. All tours ran out of the main lodge includes private accommodations with private bathrooms.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and Ashuko as your guide! Thank you for your feedback about our staff, it means a lot to us.

Kind Regards,
Karina Veramendi Reyes
Managing Director
Somerset West, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This company has 2 lodges; 1 "rustic" lodge in a village on the Rio Ucayali in the Pacaya Samiria National Park upstream from Iquitos, the other is the company's main lodge downstream from Iquitos. The lodge in Pacaya Samiria has a beautiful, wild setting with Amazon River Dolphins hunting in the shallows, large varieties of birds and fish, and a few primates.. The place is quite idyllic in fact, with miles and miles of gorgeous primary rainforest! However, the Pacaya Samira lodge had been badly damaged by the recent floods in the Iquitos area and had not been adequately repaired when we were there in June.. We arrived to torn netting, broken toilets, damaged walkways, and the villagers washing spread essentially everywhere.. We refused to stay in the facilities and what a mission it was to get a refund!! I had to show the company manager pictures of his own lodge, and had to essentially blackmail him with them, in order to get some of my money back! He had not been back to the facilities after the flooding and claimed he didn't know anything about the damage, even though tripadvisor had at least 2 reports similar to ours. He was insulting and worse. The publicity manager in the United States was confrontational with us as well, taking the side of the local manager before he knew all the facts.. I would advise other tourists to avoid traveling with this company until they repair their facilities and improve their public relations.

The downstream lodge is really beautiful and clean, however it is in an area which does not have much in the line of wild animals, and only the forest immediately surrounding the lodge is untouched primary forest. I saw local people hunting cayman along the river on the night walk, and virtually the only primates we saw were habituated semi captive ones on an island slightly upstream from the lodge. I didn't realize it at the time, but after being in other parts of the Amazon I can only conclude that most of the area near the river had seen extensive hunting.. I suppose you can't expect much when you have a city of half a million people not that far upstream from where you stay. The guides were very helpful and knowledgable. I am vegetarian and as other reviews have stated, the food was not really what you'd expect considering how much I had paid for the trip.

I was disappointed with the condition of the broken "rustic" lodge in what I thought were ideal surroundings, and I was disappointed in the surroundings of the beautiful lodge downstream.. Not an ideal situation if you're after a wild "safari" type Amazon experience!! Rustic means rustic NOT broken!! I'm from Africa and yes I know exactly what basic facilities or rustic facilities are, and for a genuine, wild experience I'd actually prefer rustic..

If you decide to go with ManitiExpeditions, make sure you know what you're paying for before hand and which lodge you're going to.. Seriously, read my review on the Bolivian Amazon before you even decide to go to Iquitos!! Now for Richard Pezzino:

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
ManitiExpedition, Owner at Maniti Camp Expeditions, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hola from the Amazon and thank you for choosing to stay with Maniti Camp Expeditions. We are in receipt of your trip advisor review and thank you for taking the time to do this. It's always great to hear from our guests on their stay and what we can do to improve your experience with us.

As you are aware, you had traveled in May and this was right after this region of the amazon had received significant flooding, which did not affect the large lodge but it did have some affects on the smaller lodge near the Pacaya Samiria Reserve. Since that time the smaller lodge has been repaired but is still small with basic accommodations, it is mainly used as a place where we stay for 1 evening upon our return from a camping trip into the Pacaya Samiria Reserve so that passangers can shower, clean their clothes, and relax a little after having spent days camping and hiking in the jungle.

We would like to make it very clear that we have two lodges and the main large nice lodge that you mention is the Maniti Lodge where all passengers stay that are not going to be camping in the Pacaya Samiria Reserve. The Maniti lodge is located 70KM away from Iquitos city and has a lot of wildlife to see as you mentioned.

You were refunded your money after, the completion of your tour, because of the unsatisfactory conditions that the small lodge was in where you had stayed for 1 night before you went camping into the Pacaya Samiria Reserve.

The only concern that we had with refunding your money is that it does not seem right to refund money for a tour after the fact that the client had enjoyed the tour enough to spend 7 days with us in the jungle and then upon return to Iquitos complain. In the end your money was refunded because it is important to us to have all clients leave Iquitos with a positive impression of our company and the amazon.

We are very sorry for the mix-up with the food request. This is a request that we take very seriously as we have many travelers who are vegetarians or that do not eat red meat.

We do pride ourselves in offering the best of what we have and do apologize for the lodge conditions during your stay at the small lodge, this is not how we operate under normal circumstances. I will look into the mentioned issues and be sure that it does not happen to others traveling with us in the future.

Kind Regards from the Amazon
Wylie, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My son and I spent 6D/5N camping and searching for the grand fishing prize...Peacock Bass! We spent 2 nights at the base camp lodge which was rustic and could probably use a little update but nevertheless, served it's purpose and was good. The beginning of the trip was a little confusing because things were not outlined with much clarity but it all fell into place eventually.
Our guide Enrique was phenomenal, he took care of every detail while we were camping, full of knowledge and information about our surrounding but more importantly...put us on some big fish! we pulled out many species of fish from the river and lagoons and on the last day several 8 to 9 pound peacocks.
The experience was wonderful and the surroundings made you forget about the daily stress of life. Iquitos is an awesome city to stay in to enjoy the culture and the incredible food.
Would recommend this trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rock Hill, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I believe the first thing worth mentioning is that Maniti Camp Expeditions has two very different lodges and which one you get put in makes a significant difference to the quality of your stay.

The smaller of the two lodges is much worse than "rustic". There's one tiny bathroom for the entire place, essentially just a mini outhouse in desperate need of cleaning. There are no showers and no running water. You get a few hours of electricity in the evenings but only in the tiny dining room and common room. And despite our mosquito nets around the beds in our room we had several unwanted guests, not just in our room but in our beds. The door to our three bed dorm didn't close properly and there were several spots along where the wall and floor met that they didn't properly meet, which explains the presence of bugs. We visited shortly after the flooding at the beginning of June and the area around the lodge was entirely mud. After a short hike you were covered in the mud and due to the lack of running water you pretty much stay that way for the remainder of your time at this lodge. We were moved to the larger lodge on our second day and met some other guests who referred to the small lodge as "Hell".

The pictures you see here are of the larger lodge. It's still fairly rustic but there's lots of space and the rooms have there own bathrooms with running water and showers. You get electricity through the entire lodge for several hours every evening and the dining area is spacious. The lodge has an entire room filled with hammocks that's really lovely to spend time in. The rooms are nice and virtually bug free. You don't need mosquito nets around the beds here.

I have no idea what determines which lodge you get stuck with. We had booked the Amazon Experience (3day/2night) package through their website and saw no mention of different lodges. We arrived in Iquitos late due to the airline and once in the city we decided to extend our stay to 4 days/3 nights because we had essentially missed the first day already. We were told on several occasions that this was why we got stuck spending our first night in "Hell" but even now when I look at the itinerary for the 4 day package on their website I see no mention of this much more rustic little lodge. According to the website if you do the 4 day package you would be spending your last night at the Palo Alto Miradoor, which is the lookout tower with a "birds eye view" of the forest. We were never taken to this tower or heard any mention of it during our stay.

Once at the larger lodge our experience improved greatly. Our guide Omero (who also goes by Homer) was really helpful and a lot fun. We got to do our trips with some other guests and made friends which greatly improved the experience. We didn't see much in the way of wild animals, honestly we really didn't even see many birds and none of the colorful variety you would expect, but we LOVED our trip to Monkey Island. All the animals may be tame but that really only adds to the fun. The highlight of the trip was being able to view the pink river dolphins, which for me personally made up for not seeing much else as far as wildlife goes. We were also taken to the Maniti Rescue Center once we arrived back in Iquitos before we had to catch our plane.

Unfortunately we still had complaints after getting into the nice lodge. The biggest was a lack of being prepared for the vegetarian in our group. We had been told through emails before arrival that the lodge was able to accommodate her diet but once we arrived nobody seemed to know anything about needing to feed a vegetarian. For more than one meal she was given a pile of rice with some vinegar soaked tomatoes on top. Honestly inedible. Though to be fair, when we made a complaint at the office in Iquitos about this situation we were given a bit of a discount for our troubles. Another disappointment was the alcohol situation. Though they sold beers we had been told that they had a bar and we had expected a variety of drink options. Our first night we were told they were just out of liquor but they would get more before the next night, however the next night they still didn't have any. We would have been willing to pay quite a bit to sit up having a drink with new friends and I believe it would benefit the company quite a bit. A small complaint but worth noting. And the last thing worth mentioning is about the online itinerarys. Most of the activities listed we weren't able to do. On our trip out to fish for piranhas we were told that its actually the wrong season for piranhas and we only wound up seeing bass. We were also told that there weren't actually any caiman in the area. These two things were a particularly big disappointment but it's also worth noting that our guide didn't seem to have any idea what our itinerary was supposed to entail. I got the distinct impression that the itineraries mentioned on the site are just to draw you in.

In the end, I wouldn't stay here again nor would I recommend it. However if its the only place within your budget and you go in knowing what to expect you should still have a decent trip. Just don't choose them if your a vegetarian, you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure your staying in the larger lodge!