“Excellent food, very reasonably priced, strange customers...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Iquitos
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
“Excellent food, very reasonably priced, strange customers...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

I went regularly for lunch or dinner to dawn on the Amazon during the week I was in iquitos. The food here was really tasty, and the choice was massive (making it very hard to choose). The staff were excellent, very polite, attentive and friendly.

The only thing that let the place down slightly was the clientele, it seems to attract a lot of hippies and expats, including drunken loud old Americans, druggies (not dodgy violent type just annoying spiritual type) and lots of people who have visited iquitos taken a load of drugs and never left. Now this is fine for them but after a few visits the constant drone of people telling you or other people about how they found spiritual enlightenment from a piece of tree bark becomes a bit tedious.

Anyhow this shouldn't stop you going here and you can't blame the restaurant too much (although spirit cleansing section of the menu probably means you can blame them, but I guess where there's a market there's money to be made)

The food is the best I had in iquitos.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear Pterodroma, Thank you for taking the time to make your very good review. Your points are well taken that our food is excellent and reasonably priced, our staff is attentive, polite, and friendly, and ha, ha, ja, jajajajajaja that our clients are strange. I believe the clients of Dawn on the Amazon Cafe add charming local color. I love my clients. You were my client for a week and I love you.

Bill

London
“Fab food - but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The food was great - organic and healthy but so expensive. The pancake stack was heaven though.

Visited May 2011
DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear LilyLester, Thank you for the very good review. I'm glad you think our food is fab, and healthy. The stack of pancakes that you thought were heavenly only cost $4.34, with all of the real butter, honey, and our special homemade syrup you want. I believe that is very reasonable.

Part of the reason our food costs more than food on the street is that Dawn on the Amazon Cafe has 13 employees, to make sure you have good service. All of our staff makes at least minimum wage, with benefits. We have all of our permits from the government and we pay taxes. We donate 5% of our profits to charity in our community. We use hundreds of dollars of purified water to make sure you don't get sick. All of our juices are hand squeezed fresh for you, and served in 16 oz. glasses. We are fanatical about hygiene, to make sure your food and drink are pure. We use only the highest quality, freshest food.

All of these things that we do to separate Dawn on the Amazon Cafe from the average restaurants do cost money, but I believe they are worth the trouble and money. What about you?
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Outstanding service & truly fine food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Bill Grimes has trained his staff to perfection - friendly only begins to describe their treatment of customers. The staff initiates conversation w/ an upbeat tone & tenor as if one is member of a Club. (which was how upscale restaurants once operated) The staff is clearly carefully selected & being treated w/ respect by Bill & his customers. The Amazon Explorers Club is a healthy work environment, a rarity in the developing world. It's perfectly located on the best section of the malecon (sp) overlooking the Amazon River.

The menu is varied & interesting - the food is consistently very good. Iquitos is lucky to have Bill Grimes operating his restaurant, its the most welcoming & pleasant restaurants I have ever encountered in my travels (40 countries over 25 yrs). Keep up the good work Bill, you have made Iquitos a much more pleasant place to visit.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear John L, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Thank's a million for your excellent review. Now I feel that all of the work we do is validated by your review. Your words are music to my ears, balm for my senses, salve for my sores. Ohhh because of your thoughts and words my spirit soars. Thank you, thank you, until we meet again.

Bill Grimes
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“My home away from home! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have spent five months over the last few years in Iquitos. Dawn on the Amazon has become my home away from home. The food is fresh, delicious, and healthy. I know I can eat fruit and salad here and be fine. The food is also free of MSG, which is very important to me (I eat all organic at home). All of the meals are wonderful, but my favorite is the tomato soup. I also recommend all of their fruit juices, especially camu camu and plátano con leche. The iced blended coffee is amazing and gave me the required levels of caffeine to do my thesis research. :D

Bill and Marmelita are some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. They genuinely care about their customers. Bill is very knowledgeable about Iquitos. He told me where to exchange money, which hospital to go to when I was sick, and how to get change from the bank. In the middle of last summer, my laptop and all of my storage disks were infected with a virus. I thought I had lost all of the data I needed for my research. Bill and Marmelita knew which computer expert to call; he spent two hours working on my computer and retrieved all of my data! :) :) :)

Dawn on the Amazon is one of my favorite places in the world. Now that I am back in the U.S., I miss the food, the people and the conversations around the table inside. Although I have finished my research, I hope I can go back someday just to visit. :)

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Amy R., thank you so much for your charming review. The crew here at Dawn on the Amazon Cafe are honored to be your "home away from home." If there was a local source of certified organic fruit, vegetables, grain, and/or meat, we would be serving organic.

I am wishing you the very best,
Bill Grimes
Morristown, New Jersey
“Don't miss it. You'll go back and back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Extraordinary variety of food for all tastes, everything exquisitely prepared. The welcoming atmosphere draws the most interesting world travelers. Good food, good company, a great host and cold beer - what more could you want?

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DawnontheAmazon, Owner at Dawn on the Amazon Cafe, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear Don D, Thank you for your excellent review of the Dawn on the Amazon Cafe. My crew and I are grateful to have your approval. You are right, "good food, good company,...and cold beer" are a comforting combination. Thanks for being part of our community of "interesting world travelers".

I hope we will enjoy your company back at the Dawn on the Amazon in the not too distant future. See you then.

Best regards,