“I have seen thepink dolphins jump” 5 of 5 stars

Chullachaqui Lodge
Raymondi 138 | Raymondi 139, Iquitos, Peru   |
Ranked #43 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Munich, Germany
“I have seen thepink dolphins jump”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

After a 100km ride from Iquitos up the Amazonas I arrived directly at this beautiful lodge.
Thanks to the highwater because of the passed rain season I did not even need to walk.
The lodge an architectural well planned and build retreat.
I stayed 2 nights and 3 days. After Easter I was the only guest. The staff took really good care. Cooking excellent food.
Danny, my guide, took me around the Amazonas by boot. My goal was to see a tarantula and pink dolphins. By even seeing hundreds of birds, iguanas, snakes and all kinds of other animals my expectations were exceeded. I even went to a local village up a little stream.
This great experience was supported by the good English language skills of my guide and his knowledge about the local habitat.
The only drawback was that I did not get to see any kaymans. But this was because of the heavy rains, which started in the late afternoon and continued through the night.
I ll always will remember the great sounds of the Amazonas and I hope to be back some day.
Thank you also to the helpful staff in Iquitos:Walter and Debbie.

See you soon next time,

Cheers from Germany, Michael

Room Tip: Tell your guide, what you want to discover
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I recomend this Lodge for people who is looking for a real amazonian experience. The lodge is situated in a very beatiful and quiet area. Out from luxuries (remember you'll be in the Amazonas and you won't find a swimming pool... anyway you can swim in ther river!) you'll have all you need to have a great stay into nature. The staff is very frienldy and helpful and they love nature. Excellent local guides who knows what Amazonas is. They tries their best to make your stay confortable and funny. Absolutly recommended, you'll enjoy it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We've been in Chullachaqui Lodge for 6 Days. Our Guide was Raul and he showed us so many Birds, sloths, snakes, spiders, frogs, dolphins, etc. He also know so much about the plants and trees around the Lodge and their healing power.
In the Lodge we loved to stay in the hammocks, while listening and watching the birds.
The guys in the nature Kitchen also made a great job! (In fact of their possibilities without electricity). In the nighttime the whole lodge was luminated with oillamps, what gave a very special atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Manaus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I've been lucky enough to go to the Amazon 3 times, in Manaus, Bolivia, and now Iquitos. To the lay traveller, I do not think you would notice much difference in terms of what you see, but the difference with this Lodge is the quality of the guides and how homely they make you feel at the lodge.

We felt welcome there, as opposed to a tourist bringing in the dollar.

Very much recommended.

Harry Walker and Esther Roberts

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Debbie_Blair, Owner at Chullachaqui Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
Dear Harry and Esther,

We appreciate your lovely comments. This is what we strive for at Chullachaqui Lodge. It is our goal to have our guests feel welcome and at home at our lodge, and you have expressed this in your review. Thank you!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Two of my friends and I used Amazonian Trips and stayed at the lodge and had a WONDERFUL time with them. They were very accommodating to us and our slightly hectic schedule and made everything work perfectly. The lodge itself is great with a series of small wood buildings that all interconnect with wooden walkways, and feel spacious but cozy at the same time. There is a wonderful hammock room that has about ten sides to it, all screens so that you can look out onto the river or jungle. Perfect place to read or nap or chat or listen to the birds. Our guide, Lobo, could spot an iguana or sloth or anything really that looked like part of a branch high up in a tree from hundreds of feet away. He was amazing, born and raised not far from the lodge, he really knows his way around the jungle and how to find the wildlife. Really friendly and knowledgeable and got us in shape. We were based out of the lodge and then would either take hikes straight into the jungle or take the boat up the Amazon and enter the jungle in different places, or just search for dolphins or visit a village. We did excursions early in the morning, after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner, but if you don’t want a really intense trip it’s really laid back and can be catered to whatever you want. Highly, highly recommend this company – we had a great time and everything was taken care of for us without us worrying about a thing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Hermosa Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed at Chullachaqui for 4 days and three nights with two friends of mine and loved it! It is very rustic...so if you are looking for an upscale resort-like place in the jungle this is not for you. But then again, what is the point of going to the Amazon and not really experiencing it? The hammock room was my favorite. Our guide, Raul, was absolutely amazing. He grew up in the jungle just a 20 minute hike (or canoe ride in high water season) from the lodge and knew so much about every animal, plant, and insect. It was amazing. And his English was very very good. He took us to his town to meet his family and his adorable daughter and we got to really experience how people in the jungle live. They were all so nice and welcoming.
Being three city girls from LA, it definitely took a little getting used to being in the jungle with no electricity, but it was the experience of a lifetime. The program was completely tailor made to whatever we wanted to do - hiking, fishing, swimming with dolphins, searching for certain animals. And the price was the most reasonable I found out of any other lodges.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Chullachaqui Lodge? Share your experiences!