“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cumaceba Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Iquitos
Cumaceba Lodge
You added Cumaceba Lodge to your Saves list
Iquitos city | Plaza de Armas, Iquitos, Peru   |
Ranked #21 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Iquitos
Sacramento, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked this lodge through agency for 4 days and 3 nights. The tour guide is very friendly, informative and knowledgeable. He took care of our needs. The program for general activities is not very exciting and does not meet our expectation if you visit Amazon. It is boring at night after dinner. The lodge and facilities are poorly equipped. However the staffs are friendly and the meals are good. The review is comparing to our visit to Sarawak Mulu Cave, Malaysia, which is similar to jungle adventure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The lodge

Is elevated from the ground to protect it from the tropical climate and rains, as well as some animals. It's rustic, kept as clean as you can have it in the jungle. The kitchen runs on wood - as real as it gets! There's no electricity or power except at night when they turn the generator on. It's LOVELY not having access to phones or internet. But there IS a landline in the lodge if there's an emergency. The rooms have everything you need in them, which isn't much. Mosquito nets, a shower and toilet, chairs and shelves. It's not brand new, resort-style. It's the JUNGLE people. Get on with it.

The staff

Tour guides are knowledgeable, friendly and professional. The lodge's staff are warm and welcoming and helpful.

The food

The food was delicious and I went to the kitchen myself to help prepare some food. They showed me how they used bottled water mixed with disinfectant with food, they're very careful because they know that foreigners could get bugs and fall ill.

The Amazon

You need insect repellent, walking shoes, long sleeves and trousers, socks, a torch and maybe boots (you can also rent these for under $5 for the length of the stay). Do a little bit of research before you go. Some reviewers sound like they're expecting to arrive to a lodge with fake palm trees and flat screen tv. Do some research, again, you're going to the JUNGLE!

The excursions

The different activities included are entertaining and interesting, but they're not specialist activities. Don't expect half-days of fishing, a two-day hike to find an uncontacted tribe, etc. The excursions included are tasters of life in the jungle, and even when visiting the tribe the guides explain that the tribes are now civilised and they're performing some dances/ blowgun demonstrations to SHOW the tourists what their culture was like.

I found there were enough different things to do, and they were all interesting and entertaining. The best thing was that I could just opt out certain activity and relax on a hammock if I wished so.

All in all I had a fantastic experience at Cumaceba. There was a nice environment, a social atmosphere to sit and talk with other guests... The activities, the people and the facilities where what I would expect from a remote area in the jungle, nothing less. And for those who want to really stay in the "real amazon", that's as real as it gets for visitors. If you think you'd survive to be in the real Amazon for two hours, you're kidding yourself.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We have been there in May 2012, two weeks after the Amazon river overflew and flooded.

1) Our agency called Cumaceba Lodge to know how was the situation and they guaranteed everything was okay, and they were ready to welcome us.

2) When we arrived, everything was dirty and damaged by the flooding. The "garden" was full of mud and impraticable. The swimmingpool was awful, very dirty water and - unbelievable!! - the hotel personnel was using it, even thought it was supposed to be for the guests.

3) The food was terrible: they gave us only old, tasteless rice, baked beans and fried bananas! Plus, the fruit was already peeled, therefore we couldn't eat it because everybody know that peeled fruit could be contaminated by bad water or other bacterias.

4) Nobody told us that there was neither phone connection, nor a landline phone, therefore we couldn't call our families for 4 days and they were extremely worried, as we didn't informed them about this fact.

5) The is no electricity, and at 5 pm it starts to get dark. At 6 pm they turn on an ancient generator to have some light till 10 pm. Well, the generator makes a terrible noise you hear from everywhere in the lodge, and after 10 pm you cannot do anything because there is no light. If you need to go to the toilet, you must use a pocket torch that you HAVE TO BUY because they don't give it.

6) Finally: everything was very dirty. The toilet was awful and we were scared to touch anything in that room. Bed-sheets probably had 1000 years and there was a blood spot on them! I have no words to express my disgust!! When we complained with the personell, they were very rude.

Awful experience! I strongly recommend to sleep in a nice hotel in Iquitos and to do one-day expeditions in the forest or on the river.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Enzo Stuart E, Gerente at Cumaceba Lodge, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear Sirs

First we regret not having met their expectations, but we regret but whoever does not have acquired adequate information about the place visited by the agency where they purchased the tour, Cumaceba Amazon Tours has 3 tourist establishments considered as Eco Lodges (NO RESORT) including the season of April and May 2 of them were inoperative, which visited Botanical Lodge was not affected in any way for the growing of the Amazon River by econtrarse in an elevated area that refutes what you mention about our gardens, which could have been for the constant rain that occurs in our tropical climate.
We believe that our staff was not the one in the pool if no domestic tourists, unlike Europeans have other features, so it affects us mentioning that have been messing.

We have in our power to review every tourist leaves after making the tour, which in your case reads as follows:

The reasons why we decided to withdraw before the due date are:

Extreme isolation from the rest of the world
No notice we were missing some basic amenities for us
Say the wrong tour of Iquitos started when we first met at the airport.
Although the Amazon Botanical Lodge team has been kind and untherstandabol.

He said that there is a line illegible to start the comment that you can attach the file we did, it should be noted that the gathering was not incluindo of you in our services because they were staying in a hotel in the city before making the trip with us therefore your pick should have been hired by the hotel for their first day in Iquitos.

We also have other comments from other tourists who were staying at the same time unlike units. knew where and what type of service would receive and are extremely positive feedback and rewarding for our company.

If requested by trip advisor original comments, these could be scaneados and sent respectively.

San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I was in Iquitos during the first week in April. I spent three in the jungle, in this lodge and I really enjoyed it.
The staff was very nice and gentle; they were always doing their best for the passengers to be as comfortable as possible.
Although I was there during the rainy season and most of the places were flooded, I had the chance to discover a wonderful place, seeing several kinds of animals and plants.
I really recommend Cumaceba for your stay in the Peruvian jungle.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012 via mobile

We booked this entirely through a travel agent and honestly didn't know what to expect.
We got picked up at the airport and after a short drive through the city of Iquitos ( Which with the abundance of rickshaws reminded us of Thailand ), got to the dock where a boat took us to the lodge.

The lodge itself was simple but clean, our room had clean linnen and running water. No electricity, cellphone, Internet or hot water. But you hardly mind it after the second day. It is kinda liberating when your only source of entertainment is a good book.

Our guide "Wilson", while not the most knowledgable guide ever, did bend over backwards to provide whatever we needed to have a comfortable stay.

All the daily activities started exactly on the dot, and the tasty home cooked meals were all served with almost military punctuality.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Cumaceba Lodge. We had a three night, four day package put together by a local travel agency in Lima. Everything was very last minute and we didn't really know much about the Lodge or Cumaceba before our trip, but everything went smoothly and we were very well taken care of. Even though this review is about the Lodge, I will talk a little bit about the company too because they are the ones that organized all of our transportation.

We arrived in Iquitos on an early morning flight and were greeted at the airport by a Cumaceba representative. They took us to their office downtown to fill out some papers and then we were off on a small motor boat with our friendly and knowledgeable local guide to the Lodge, which I guess was about 45 minutes down the Amazon and up a little canal.

We had a nice boat trip with our guide explaining everything about the city of Iquitos, the Amazon, and the people that live in the area. He grew up in the area and was wonderfully patient with our questions, and always seemed happy to answer any questions we had. At the lodge, we were given some welcome juice (freshly made!) and then we were off on the first of many excursions in the surrounding jungle.

The rest of the trip can be divided into excursions, food, and the Lodge itself.

First, the excursions. We had about four excursions per day, ranging from trips inside the forest, to meeting local natives, swimming in the Amazon, fishing for piranhas, and visiting a monkey sanctuary. As in any wild place, I think that travelers need to keep in mind the need to be prepared - wear appropriate gear and bring bug spray, etc. The Amazon is pretty extreme and you're not going to enjoy this kind of excursion if you are squeamish at all.

I want to briefly go into detail about two of the excursions we did.

The first was a night tour of the local lagoon. This was just about the scariest thing I've ever done in my life, but also one of the most memorable. Our guide took the two of us out on the lagoon behind the Lodge. The lagoon is pretty big and narrow, and it has lots of animals that live in and around it, including tons of alligators, frogs, fish, bugs, and probably an anaconda. The first time we ever went to the lagoon was at night. I don't speak Spanish so well (our guide spoke English too, but my travel partner is Peruvian so we only spoke in Spanish) so I thought that we were only going to look at the lagoon from the safety of the boat dock. So, imagine my surprise when our guide started to bring one of the kayaks toward us for a late night tour. I hate the dark but, hey, I didn't travel to the middle of the Amazon to back down from this kind of experience. So, off we went, with only one flashlight, a machete, and one paddle. In the end, it turned out to be best to have just one flashlight, because it let us see all of the lovely glowing insects in the lagoon. It looked a bit like what I remember from Fern Gully or even Avatar. A really magical place at nightime. If you go, I would recommend not using your flashlight too much. It's so beautiful just being in the middle of such a wild place and listening to all the insects and frogs.

The morning after you do the night tour, you will return to the kayak to see the lagoon during the daytime - what a difference!!!

The second excursion that I wanted to talk about is the monkey sanctuary excursion. The sanctuary is a ten minute boat ride from the Lodge. When you go, be prepared for the monkeys to jump on you - they are absolutely not afraid of people, and if you show them you are afraid, they will start to bother you. Beforehand, be prepared to be overwhelmed by the monkeys. They will approach you when you arrive and will probably climb up your pants to see who you are - they are very curious - but they won't bite or anything if you don't bother them. To enjoy your time there, I would recommend bringing some small fruits (but keep them well hidden, there are some big monkeys there that will try to get into all of your pockets, steal your sunglasses, even your eyeglasses... they are all little robbers, just like Abu in Aladdin). If you put out your hand, monkeys will happily climb up your arm and hang out with you. If you ever wanted to hang out with monkeys, this is like heaven on earth. Each monkey has its own personality and it is fun getting to know each of them. There are also adorable sloths crawling around the grounds, as well as snakes (boas and anacondas), so watch where you walk, you might get the surprise of your life and find yourself face to face with a snake. I loved this place, but if you don't like dirt or wild animals, you might not like visiting the sanctuary.

Second, the food. The Lodge has a wonderful local cook that prepared three delicious meals per day. I was really happy to try "jungle food", like "jungle spaghetti", eat fresh fish, fruits, and even eat the piranha that we caught on one of the excursions. I can't complain at all about the food, but again, I can imagine that if you aren't very adventurous with food, you might not like this place because it is all local.

Third, the Lodge itself. As I wrote in the title of the review, the Lodge is rustic. By that I mean that there is no electricity (except for about two hours at night time, in the main Lodge/eating area, where there is reading light and plugs to charge your camera batteries). So, if you feel like you cannot live without electricity, this might not be the best place for you. You can always bring your own flashlights and things (which I would recommend for the night excursions), the Lodge provides a kerosene lamp, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable carrying that between the bedroom and the bathroom, for example.

Generally speaking, the Lodge was comfortable. There are hammocks where you can chill out, and the bed was comfortable. We didn't have any insect problems, but because it is the jungle it is very loud at night - there are animals that will be walking above your bed (the room itself is covered with a kind of giant mosquito net that keeps all the bugs and animals out), and the insects and frogs outside are very loud, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to bring ear plugs. On the other hand, it is nice to fall asleep to the sounds of nature - I think we both slept wonderfully deep during our nights at the Lodge because, apart from the animals, it is perfectly quiet.

One of my favorite parts of the lodge was the animals at the Lodge itself. They have some very friendly parrots (Loros) that live there, rescued from families that took them in as pets and no longer could take care of them. They are well taken care of at the lodge, and some of them are actually cuddly (I took a nap with one). If you want to hang out with a parrot, ask your guide how to handle the bird - each animal has its own personality. There were also some very friendly cats that live there to watch out for rodents.

Overall, we had a wonderful time at the Lodge, and would return in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. Still, I would only advise people who know they are adventurous to go to this Lodge. If you don't like dirt, can't handle cold showers, and like to eat bland food, this isn't the place for you. However, if you don't mind giving up these luxuries, you'll be rewarded with an unforgettable Amazon experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and had a great time. We enjoyed getting to know our guide and he was very knowledgeable about the Amazon. The food was good and the accommodation was what you would expect for being in the jungle - basic but clean. One of our favorite things was the trip to the "zoo" where we played with the monkeys. We actually enjoyed it so much, we went back a second time to play with them again. We were a little uncomfortable at times when visiting the nearby tribe, they kept trying to trade with us for everything we had on us and I wasn't quite sure what to say to them. Other than that, everything was great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cumaceba Lodge? Share your experiences!