“Good location - Nice staff - Very Clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Inti Wasi - Plaza de Armas

You added Hostal Inti Wasi - Plaza de Armas to your Saves list
Hostal Inti Wasi - Plaza de Armas
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Calle Del Medio 134 - Plaza de Armas, Cusco 2011, Peru   |
Ranked #69 of 244 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Good location - Nice staff - Very Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Plus side.
Nice staff, good price, great location.
Wooden shutters kept the light out into the day (very nice to use since the sun rises early).
Flat screen TV
Very nice and clean private bathrooms. Including hand towels (not always available in hostels).
Hostels in Peru are what Mom&Pop hotels are in Europe. Quaint, small, but with everything you need self contained in a unit - usually no shared anything.
Great hot water and pressure (not a given in Cusco hostels, so be sure you understand this commodity).

Down side.
Bit of noise due to location (note that I've stayed a few places in Cusco, and they all have street noise of some sort, so don't plan hard to escape it).
Breakfast is fairly simple (more so than usual by other places in Cusco)
English isn't very strong by the desk staff (and I speak French and bad spanish). I had better interfacing with retail staff than I did with this key hotel interface position, but he has extremely nice and would grab an online translator to help bridge the gap). I do depend on Hotel staff to understand me so I can get suggestions on local activities or restaurants, so it became frustrating. Elisabeth (the owner I think), has a much better command of English and was super helpful.
For the price I did better elsewhere (I went in March - their low season - so price negotiations are better).

Would I go back? I would recommend this at least to arrive and check it out (due to it's central location), but from there you might find something you prefer, or like where you are just fine. There are many Hostels, and not at all the same, and going from one to another is no more than a 4 or 5 soles cab ride ($2).

Room Tip: I liked rooms 203 and 206 because they had full shutters overlooking the square (very nice view, and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Manteca, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Great location, ok room and bathroom. Great water pressure and hot water. Our room had double doors that opened to the outside. It was fun to stand and look at the street below. Really cheap. They also have a place to store luggage. They even gave me a book!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is on a good location, close to everything. The register staff is friendly, and he let me chose the room, so I chose a room can see Plaza Regocijo. Breakfast is fine.
but the building is aged, need a new internal decoration.

Room Tip: If possible, Pick a room facing to Plaza Regocijo.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is the first review I have ever written. I'm not normally one to complain, but the service at this hotel was just horrid.
My double room (which turned out to be a twin) had no glass in one of the windows. Cusco in winter is COLD! The room was freezing.
One of our party was arriving to Cusco by bus. After paying at the hotel for him to be collected by taxi, he arrived alone having waited at the bus terminal for the taxi to arrive. It never came.
We booked our trip to Machu Picchu with the hotel (My partner and I and my parents, in their 60's).
Our taxi to Ollantaytambo was 30 minutes late. Consequently, we almost missed out train. No apology was offered.
The way back was even worse. After being shuffled on to a bus and being told we had to wait half an hour, we were then herded to another bus (I use the term lightly). It was nothing more than a glorified combi. My parents, who suffer from arthritis, were squeezed into a vehicle not fit for 4 people, let alone 8. My mother was actually in tears from the pain in her legs as she couldn't move. The driver made several stops for phone calls, snacks etc.
Now, I'm no travel snob. I have travelled in far worse conditions, but when I was paying 180 US for the privilege, then I take issue. It was not the service that was advertised and was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I could have (and should have) sorted it myself and saved $100.
I raised my concerns with the staff. The agent was apologetic, but the manager was RUDE!!!!!
It very nearly spoiled our trip.
OUr taxi back to the airport, again organised by the hotel, was 30 mins late again.
Location, as others have said, is great. However, I'm sure there are better options for the price!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Right by the main Plaza. Stayed a total of 3 nights and found the rooms adequate nothing fancy but the price was right. Also it had a great supply of hot water. The breakfast has a great selection and was buffet style. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. We were within walking distance to lots of restaurants and some amazing shopping.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Superior, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

You simply cannot beat the location of this hostal in Cusco. It is right in the heartbeat of everything. Unfortunatly, yes, there were some loud nights, but it is the price you pay for being in the thick of it. The building is a spanish colonial style with all rooms on the second floor. The staff was helpful, the breakfast was plenty and they even stored our bags for us when we went to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. Beds were conmy and the showers were great- hot water and lots of pressure!

Only complaint is they were supposed to pick us up at the airport and they never showed up. so we had to get out own ride and got ripped off by a taxi driver. sigh.

Room Tip: Certainly you want a room with a balcony overlooking the main square... but remember that their cele...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights in total and the only reason we didn't move was for it's ease of location. The rooms were not clean: the showers had hair from previous guests on the shower curtain and tiles and the beds have bed bugs (was bitten every night regardless of sleeping in sleeping bag on top of blankets). The staff were not friendly or helpful and made everything seem a hassle for them. Didn't see a smile once. Again, the only reason we didn't move was laziness of packing up and moving in such a short time.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Hostal Inti Wasi - Plaza de Armas? Share your experiences!