“Not the cheapest, but the breakfast will do” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Carmen Bajo 226 | San Blas, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #33 of 276 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Not the cheapest, but the breakfast will do”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There is a bohemian decorative style as you walk in and carries on throughout the rooms. We didn't have a reservation, but we got a room that had a double and single bed for 65 SOL with shared bathroom if we stayed for a minimum of 2 nights. We were allocated the 'Mango' room upstairs, but after 2 nights, we decided to go elsewhere as the beds creaked so loudly and were uncomfortable (they sag in the middle if you have 2 people sleeping on the double) to the point of giving one of us back pain and had to move to use the single bed. We also heard other beds in the middle of the night from other rooms if someone turned over.

The shared bathroom is pokey but functional, although needs regular cleaning as we constantly had full bins (as you can't flush toilet paper down) and hairs everywhere but it had an excellent shower that was hot and good pressure. Breakfast consists of freshly baked bread, jam, butter, fruit, tea and coffee, all of which was good standards and you can never turn down freshly baked bread. There's wi-fi and the strength was decent in most areas of the hostel. There are 2 common areas, downstairs where breakfast is given is one long rectangular table enough to comfortably seat 10 people and 15-20 at a squeeze and upstairs a double and single chair where you can take in the light and views of Cusco.

As we came during the rainy season, there were leaks in quite a few places, but they had buckets in place to catch the water and the next dry day had the leaks fixed.

The place only let us down with the beds, hence the 3-star, but the people that run the place a nice and helpful, breakfast is decent and a nice place to chill.

Room Tip: Try the beds and make sure you can't feel the springs sticking into your back, making loud noise...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PasionAndina, Propriétaire at Pantastico Bed & Bakery, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hola Jordans!
Thanks a lot for your valuable comments!
We are taking advantage of the rainy season to renew all the necessary stuff here in the hostal. The mattrass of the Mango has been changed with a new one.
We really appreciate your constructive opinions since it helps us to improve continuously the confort for our guest and friends!
Saludos cordiales,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lima
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great hostel, the best I've stayed at in San Blas. Nice rooms artistically painted, hot water all the time, wi-fi, really nice people, freshly baked bread every morning, FREE cookies!! It's a quiet place though, don't expect to party here. The bathrooms are a bit tight but very clean. And again, the staff is very nice and helpful with anything you need. The price is very good too, considering you get private rooms instead of just a bed. I think the only problem could be if you are a light sleeper, in that case ask for a room away from the noisy entrance since there's travellers arriving or leaving in the earliest AM hours (which you will probably do too). That's it, recommended!

Room Tip: Away from the entrance if you have a light sleep.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hostel has a great location, near to the main square and in one of the best places in Cusco: San Blas, The rooms are nice and you will find hot water and a very deliciuos breakfast. Nice staff, staying in Pantastico wou will find great service for a cheap price

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Lima, Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a great time at Pantastico! It's even better than home and we didn't want to leave!
It's a budget hostal, so obviousely we didn't expect a 5* accomodation! But we did get a 5* and friendly service!
All features were great, hot shower, good beds, clean and the particular atmosphere of a place where you feel people love what they do!
The place has only 10 rooms and is quiet at night. Last but not least, the location, just 3 blocks from the main square, in beautiful San Blas neighbourhood.
Don't worry about the different ways to visit Machu Picchu! Once you get there, they will give you all explanation and save you a lot of time looking for different alternatives!

Room Tip: Get the mini suite, at the last floor! It's 30 soles more, but you get an amazing view over the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I really loved this place, and what made it great was Bertrand the owner. Such a nice genuine guy who really had a great personality that instantly made you feel at home. Bertrand is from Switzerland so speaks english, french and spanish fluently. He was so hospitable and also helped me plan the rest of my trip - he knows South America very well, definitely follow his advice.

I wasn't happy with my room downstairs and moved to the room upstairs which I would thoroughly recommend - the view was amazing, the shower was hot and powerful and bed was comfortable. It was very cold however on the first night without a heater so do make sure they give you one. Once I had a heater, the temperature in the room was fine. Location was great too and just a 5 minute walk from the main plaza. I have to admit however the only downside was the shower when I had to move back downstairs for the last night. I believe it was as simple as putting on the generator switch for the shower but these rooms downstairs are far more basic with little lighting for a fussy traveller like myself. The wifi connection was strong throughout, even upstairs. Breakfast was included and was fine but it would be great if they could provide juice for those like myself that do not drink tea or coffee. There was also access to the kitchen which was average. I would say that overall the accommodation is average but the service was excellent.

The other places I stayed at in my trip where I would recommend without any hesitation are those that I have awarded 5 stars. If someone had recommended these places to me I would have saved a lot of time researching so I'd be more than happy to help future travellers. I had a great trip to South America and these places were the best I stayed. If you would like any info or have any questions, please let me know.

Room Tip: Only pick the room at the top!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ushuaia, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

When you're travelling there are places you'll never forget. Pantastico is something different!

I'm now travelling around south america since seven months. I've slept in a lot of different places. But I've never found the same atmosphere again. I loved the humanity of this hostel. The service was also full of heart. During my stay I felt like home or near to my family. Whatever your think it's precious when you're going to one place to another all the time. It gives you a rest.

The hostel also provides the best breakfast I've ever had on holiday. And the whole idea is great! Hostel and Backery = genius! It's full of colours and positive energy. And furthermore it is in one of the best part of Cusco. Lionel and Bertrand provide a really useful help to go around for good money. And they're working with professional as my Ausangate trek had shown me. The guide was so nice and all well organised.

Anyway, I can only highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Deucelinca, Manager at Pantastico Bed & Bakery, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Alex, thank you so much for your kind comment. It was a pleasure to make your stay at Pantastico worth it. We wish you all the best for the end of your south american's trip. Enjoy and come back soon.
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Friendly atmosphere, everything you need. Good breakfasts with homemade bread. Recommended! Well located in Cusco, just 2 blocks away from the center. Table to gather and share experiences with other travellers. English, french and spanish spoken.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pantastico Bed & Bakery? Share your experiences!