“Great people, felt like home, excellent service, average rooms and showers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pantastico Bed & Bakery

You added Pantastico Bed & Bakery to your Saves list
Pantastico Bed & Bakery
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Carmen Bajo 226 | San Blas, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #30 of 244 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
London, United Kingdom
“Great people, felt like home, excellent service, average rooms and showers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I really loved this place, and what made it great was Bertrand the owner. Such a nice genuine guy who really had a great personality that instantly made you feel at home. Bertrand is from Switzerland so speaks english, french and spanish fluently. He was so hospitable and also helped me plan the rest of my trip - he knows South America very well, definitely follow his advice.

I wasn't happy with my room downstairs and moved to the room upstairs which I would thoroughly recommend - the view was amazing, the shower was hot and powerful and bed was comfortable. It was very cold however on the first night without a heater so do make sure they give you one. Once I had a heater, the temperature in the room was fine. Location was great too and just a 5 minute walk from the main plaza. I have to admit however the only downside was the shower when I had to move back downstairs for the last night. I believe it was as simple as putting on the generator switch for the shower but these rooms downstairs are far more basic with little lighting for a fussy traveller like myself. The wifi connection was strong throughout, even upstairs. Breakfast was included and was fine but it would be great if they could provide juice for those like myself that do not drink tea or coffee. There was also access to the kitchen which was average. I would say that overall the accommodation is average but the service was excellent.

The other places I stayed at in my trip where I would recommend without any hesitation are those that I have awarded 5 stars. If someone had recommended these places to me I would have saved a lot of time researching so I'd be more than happy to help future travellers. I had a great trip to South America and these places were the best I stayed. If you would like any info or have any questions, please let me know.

Room Tip: Only pick the room at the top!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ushuaia, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

When you're travelling there are places you'll never forget. Pantastico is something different!

I'm now travelling around south america since seven months. I've slept in a lot of different places. But I've never found the same atmosphere again. I loved the humanity of this hostel. The service was also full of heart. During my stay I felt like home or near to my family. Whatever your think it's precious when you're going to one place to another all the time. It gives you a rest.

The hostel also provides the best breakfast I've ever had on holiday. And the whole idea is great! Hostel and Backery = genius! It's full of colours and positive energy. And furthermore it is in one of the best part of Cusco. Lionel and Bertrand provide a really useful help to go around for good money. And they're working with professional as my Ausangate trek had shown me. The guide was so nice and all well organised.

Anyway, I can only highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Deucelinca, Manager at Pantastico Bed & Bakery, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Alex, thank you so much for your kind comment. It was a pleasure to make your stay at Pantastico worth it. We wish you all the best for the end of your south american's trip. Enjoy and come back soon.
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Friendly atmosphere, everything you need. Good breakfasts with homemade bread. Recommended! Well located in Cusco, just 2 blocks away from the center. Table to gather and share experiences with other travellers. English, french and spanish spoken.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a total of 7 days before and after our trek to Machu Picchu. The hostel was lovely, staff friendly and helpful, shared showers hot, (private showers had the electric head common in south american countries - not so hot!), good WiFi. Would definitely go back...

• Stayed October 2012
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a fairly mixed stay at Pantastico.

For the first night, we were given the double ensuite at the front of the building. The room suffered from being right next to the front door, traffic through the night on the street immediately outside, and any conversation held in the breakfast area 5m down the corridor. Light in the room was limited - the eco-bulb failing to offset the small window.

We moved to another room for our second night. Around 10pm, the water to the bathroom stopped completely and the person on duty couldn't fix it (I think the owner was away). We were given a bucket of water which the gf used to wash her face, brush her teeth and top up the toilet. Sub-optimal.

The breakfast does feature homemade bread which was nice, but the rest of the bakery is not at your disposal. Bed and Bakery is what is at the property, not the offering to the customer. Fruit and bread was the breakfast. Overall, it's OK.

We then stayed in Milhouse and had a huge refurbished double with fully fitted ensuite bathroom and a similar breakfast at the same price. It showed how intensely competitive Cusco is at the budget end of the market and that you as a traveller can have very high expectations for your money.

This competition may explain the marketing drive behind Pantastico. We were given cookies wrapped up with a Tripadvisor bow on departure and follow-up emails asking me to write this review. There's no doubt this makes sense in view of today's Internet-based selection process for many travellers, but at the end of the day, only a great real-world proposition will generate great reviews, no matter how good the virtual marketing may be.

• Stayed September 2012
bertrand g, Gerente at Pantastico Bed & Bakery, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thanks for your valuable comments!

Our goal at Pantastico is to reach the best quality of service for a fair price. After a few days together, sharing travel experiences in Peru and overseas, our guests become our friends. And this is our biggest reward.

Our breakfast includes fresh bred, home made jam and fresh fruit salad. I dont think you will find the same breakfast in any other budget hostel.

Thank you for giving us 5 star in Service. We will keep on working on bettering all what we can.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

i really enjoyed the stay in pantastico, especially because of the very, very nice and helpful staff, but also because of the cosy atmosphere and the authentic and nice ambiente. we just stayed for one night, but i would have loved to stay longer.

the room was basic, but comfortable, with a double bed and private bathroom (no window though, people that are put special attention to that should ask for a room with a window). everything was clean, and we had enough blankets, since nights in cusco can get cold sometimes. there was free internet access (sometimes the connection broke down for a moment, but could be fixed after a while). the staff took care of our luggage while we visited manu natural reserve for one whole week, even if we stayed just one night in the hotel. we were offered a mate de coca right away when we arrived, and the whole lobby smelled like fresh baked bread and cookies :-) all in all i would highly recommend this place for a stay in cusco, its exactly the kind of hotel/hostal you will always remember thinking back as something special of the trip (if you like laid back places instead of impersonal hotels). i would always come back.

Room Tip: the room(s) next to the door are unfortunately a bit noisy at night or in the evening, when people a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleroi, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stay in Pan tastico hotel for 2 weeks and it was very good!!! The Breakfast is very generous and the personal very lovely! Bertrand, the owner, is very friendly and give good advices about Perou and Cuzco! We will come back in Cuzco and we will stay in Pan tastico hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pantastico Bed & Bakery? Share your experiences!