“Great choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 145 Hotels in Cusco
San Diego, California
“Great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We consulted Trip Advisor before booking a total of 8 hotels in Peru, and made all great choices, including this one. As with all our picks, this has a little local character along with the rest of its amenities, which we looked for. The location is perfect, a fun, interesting 3 block walk from the Plaza del Armas, and a half block uphill from a fascinating, busy indoor town market where we took our first dozen or trip photos. Good breakfast buffet, coca tea always available, good staff, rooms are quite nice.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a narrow side street, so I wouldn't expect a view; we actually had an internal r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
TerraAndina_11, Gerente at Terra Andina Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your review in TripAdvisor. Your comments help us all at the Terra Andina Hotel, it makes us feel proud of our performance and it encourages us to continue to improve our service.
As a token of appreciation to your comment we are glad to offer you a complimentary one night stay on your next trip to Cusco or for any friend’s trip to Cusco.

Cusco, Peru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel is not brand new, and while it is fairly well maintained its age does show. PLUSES: breakfasts are very nice, its location is not very central but close to all the sites, service is good, it has duvets, and its portable heater was surprisingly adequate. MINUSES: Internet is not reliable, rooms are extremely small, no flexible hose in the shower, no elevator.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel in the middle of August. The front desk crew were very friendly and helped a lot. I had an emergency and they assited me with all my needs and were very understanding.

Breakfast was excellent, with a lot of good quality food. The Hotel is easlily accesible to all parts of the City and it is located in a very nice street where you really get the feeling of being in Cuzco.

HIghly recomended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Manta, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had a reservation problem. I spoke to the front reception manager "Liliana" and asked her how we can solve this problem. She had one of those fake, frozen, painted on smiles and proceeded to tell me that nothing can be done. The interesting part is that she refused to try or even suggest as to what I can do to. One of the junior staff members whispered that I should speak to the hotel manager, a Mr. Eduardo. This man handled everything in a friendly professional manner, going out of his way to insure my satisfaction. Contrary to Lilana who seems to have forgotten that she works in the hospitality industry. Perhaps a change of venue, working in the laundry room would be more applicable to her personality.

Room Tip: try to get a larger room, some are quite small
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel was all that we were looking for and more. The staff was wonderful in every way and took great care of us. Ofter anticipating our needs before we'd even thought of what we needed! It was in a wonderful location to walk to many sites in Cusco and the price was wonderful for the accommodations provided. We were picked up at the airport on time and were able to check into our room early because we had been traveling for 24 hours and were very tired. Later on, we were able to check out late due to our flight leaving later in the day. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Ollantaytambo, Peru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is the easiest way for me to convey my experience here

PROS
-price
-location is pretty good, there is a small super market across the road and I found the restaurants I was looking for walkable distance
-excellent service, I called before arriving and staff arranged my airport pickup for the standard going rate (not inflated) and they also accommodated me when I requested a room change with no argument whatsoever (se cons..)
-served coca tea right away and there was constant access with the tea table in the lobby. Definitely a life saver.
-the restaurant seems to accommodate guests at flexible times during the day.

CONS
-I had difficulty working the shower, definitely had a learning moment trying to figure out how to get anything but scalding hot water. The levers weren't very clear or labeled. No hair conditioner so bring/buy your own!
-This hotel was loud in the early morning, starting at 4:30. STEAR CLEAR OF ROOM 303! It is right next door to the service quarters where laundering is done and the first morning I was awakened to doors slamming and tons of foot traffic. And mysteriously, smoking, although its a non smoking hotel. They graciously accommodated my request to change rooms. Even in room 212 however, there is a lot of early morning ruckus. I have to conclude that the walls and doors have no insulation - I wonder if this is the case with all hotels in Cusco?
-the safe and the space heater were both broken in my second room
-8:30 AM checkout is not my style. They offered to delay checkout for a charge of $50 which I declined.

OVERALL
If you aren't going to spend much time in your hotel and only need the bare essentials - clean sheets towels, a bar of soap ,shampoo, a hot shower, and helpful staff then this place is for you If you were like me and want to schedule lay-low time for acclimating this isn't the best choice.

Room Tip: avoid room 303 or the 3rd floor in general!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed here for one night after visiting Machu Picchu and needing to catch an early flight out of Cusco in the morning. Based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor and the low price (around $80 pre-paid), I booked this hotel.
As to the positives: Decent location near the center of town, friendly service, free wifi coverage
As to the negatives: It wasn't overtly unclean, but it certainly didn't give me a "clean" feeling upon checkin. The carpets in the common areas have seen better days. In the room, the bathroom is very minimal, all white tile. There was a bit of a musty smell from the bathroom so I kept the door closed, lest the smell permeate the sleeping area. This is definitely an older property - no card key, an old fashioned, metal key and no elevators. I was on the third floor so that meant a haul up/down with luggage.
It's not a horrible place, it is just very very basic. I think the 3.5 star level is overreaching. It's more of a 2.5 - 3.0 star place.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Terra Andina Hotel? Share your experiences!