“The best traditional experience in Cusco” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Cusco, Peru
“The best traditional experience in Cusco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Probably the best typical Peruvian restaurant in Cusco to have the real Peruvian experience. Not gourmet or pretentious like the tourist restaurants but still up to tourist standards in quality of food, service and atmosphere. Here you can experience how Peruvians do a typical lunch with friends and extended family. Everyone agrees to meet at 1 at the Cusquenita. At 1:15 or so, the first person or group arrives and begins to arrange tables for the expected crowd. Between 1:30 and 2:00 a few more family members arrive and begin to order cervezas and appetizers. By 2:30, most of the family has arrived. And begin to place their orders. By now the show has started, the place is full and you begin to settle into the experience. Watching the food arrive, one thinks we have over ordered. The portion sizes and the quantities are huge. But all the plates go back empty and the desert orders are universal. By 4:30-5:00 the kids are getting restless and the beer and piscos have everyone ready for a siesta and the place clears out suddenly. This trip I tried the pork plate. I haven’t found a restaurant in Cusco where the Cuy (guinea pig) is prepared the way I like it. I prefer Cuy prepared on the coast. Next trip I will give it a try. This is a must visit in Cusco.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat Peruvian food with Peruvian people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We wanted to find a good place to try the cuy (guinea pig) whilst in Cusco but we wanted to avoid the more expensive restaurants around Plaza de Armas. This place was recommended by a local from my hostel.

We went in the afternoon for lunch and it was packed full of people. We had to wait about 10 mins for a table. A full restaurant is normally a good sign.

I had the cuy al horno for 45 soles and my girlfriend had the Lomo saltado. Portions were gargantuan! The Lomo was excellent, cooked to perfection. But I was disappointed with the cuy. Probably the first and last time I try it.

The atmosphere of the place is awesome though. They have live entertainment throughout the day (singing, dancing etc.)

If you're in cusco then I'd say you have to eat here at least once.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Cusco, Peru
“Great atmosphere, large dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a place that few tourists find, and it is always full of locals - which is a sign of good local cuisine. It's a little pricey in comparison to other places which serve Peruvian food, but it's high quality and quantity - I normally just have a starter because I can't finish a main, and I tend to eat a lot. It has a stage with traditional Peruvian dancing until 5pm (there are 10 minutes or so pauses between each dance), and the dancers sometimes choose people from the 'audience' to dance with them - this place should definitely be higher on tourists' radars. It's not great for vegetarians, as most of the dishes are heavily meat based, but even as a vegetarian, I have been three times just to experience the atmosphere.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Caracas, Venezuela
“MUY RICO TODO”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

You really need to eat here to taste Peru!!! very typical food and shows... big plate and taste, with little price.

Visited December 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“If you're going to try cuy (guinea pig), this is the place to do it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by the owner of the hotel (Hotel Pachan - highly recommended) we were staying at. We told him that we wanted to experience and taste authentic local food, and we were not disappointed. We were additionally fortunate as he joined us for lunch and was able to advise us on what to order.

The 3 of us ordered:
i) Chicharron: which was essentially pork cooked 3 ways. I am not a big lover of pork, but this restaurant certainly helped change my mind a little.
ii) The highlight: Cuy al Horno aka Guinea pig. This is not for the faint-hearted, but promises a gastronomic party if you're game. If you're going to try Cuy while you're in Peru/Cusco - this is the place to do it. (On a related note, I had cuy a few days later at Inka Grill and was not impressed). This dish also came with potato stuffed with an assortment of veges. Double yum.
iii) A potato based soup dish. I love soup and this dish did not disappoint either.
iv) Chicha de Jora, Frutillada

The fourth item listed above is a drink and is a variation from the famous Chicha morada. Chicha morada is a mildly alcoholic drink (less than 1% alcohol) made from corn. The drink we had was a variation of this, as it has strawberries blended in to it, hence the pinkish colour. Highly recommended!

The grounds were lovely, and we knew we were in good hands when no one else there appeared to be a tourist. The food was also incredibly reasonably priced (cheap when compared with the more touristy places in Plaza de Armas).

The only thing that was a minor negative blimp on this experience was the service. It was good generally, but the waitress got a little grumpy when we changed orders twice.

• Visited September 2012