“Great location and mix of fun and chill” 4 of 5 stars

Milhouse Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   270 Calle Quera, Cusco 084, Peru   |
Ranked #30 of 245 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
New York City, New York
“Great location and mix of fun and chill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my second housing in Cuzco, the first being a quiet hotel (Royal Inka II). Milhouse in comparison was bustling with activity and events. The staff are knowledgeable and there's free Wifi and computers. Lot's of great backpackers and established travelers in the courtyards. It has a nice nightlife (large bar upstairs), so if you're traveling alone or with friends you'll easily make more friends.
The rooms are very small, so be prepared. Plus you can hear EVERYTHING from your room, so if you're planning to get a single room and hide, you'll be bothered by the outside noise. My room had a horrible mildew smell, but I got used to it after a while.
Overall I recommend this hostel if you plan to save money, meet fellow travelers and get to know the beautiful city of Cuzco with friends.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

A hostel with good location near one of the main plazas. They had a bar where one could by lunch and dinner for cheap prices, and the food was really good to.
Bamba Expierience had an office here where one could book inca trails and other tours. If European: be aware of that things may work in slightly different ways then back home, but usually everything solves. The staff on Bamba and Milhouse are very helpful.

Room Tip: The rooms were big and the beds too. The hostel is located in and old house so the bathrooms a littl...
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This spot is in a great location just blocks away from the main square. The security is great here as they have 24hr security and a bracelet system. The onsite bar makes it convenient to grab a quick bite and drink.

The onsite bar also makes it quite noisy at night. Even with earplugs it was hard to sleep. The rooms have bunk beds with a wood frame which are a bit annoying but the lockers in the room were great.

This was definitely a young party spot. Good to socialize, but being a bit of an older traveller, it made me feel even more old.

• Stayed September 2013
Akureyri, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Hmm. Not really sure what I think about Milhouse. There were definitely some ups and downs. Firstly, it's a very cool place with nice decorations and funky vibe. We stayed in a dorm room wich was big, with big and soft beds and I really liked that the bunks were kind of closed off so you could have some privacy. There is a reading lamp and a place to keep your stuff by every bed. It's a bit hard to get into the upper bunks though.

We stayed for some time. During that time the hot water went out once and the hot water in our room wasn't working once. I thought it was a shame that I felt it could have been cleaner, because the building itself is so nice. For example: there were some nasty stains and splatters on the wall beside my bed, I think some of it might have been vomit... I really didn't want to touch the walls. I told the reception staff about it and asked that the cleaners would clean it the next morning, they said yes but it wasn't clean. I ended up trying to rub some of it away myself.

They don't allow sleeping bags in the beds, okay fine because you get a really warm comforter. The thing I didn't like was that there wasn't a cover for the comforter! You just got a sheet to put in between, but obviously, as you sleep, the sheet moves around and so you have on you a comforter that who knows how many people have been sleeping with and sweating in. Igh. I ended up buying a silk sleeping bag.

The staff was okay, some were knowledgeable but a lot seemed to be just working there for a short time and weren't locals. I actually spoke to a couple that were just working there for two weeks while traveling... Which is cool for them, but not that great for the costumer, since they didn't know a lot about Cuzco, or even Peru.

The bar was okay and the kitchen had some decent food, but the communication between the kitchen and the bar staff was really off and often you would order and they'd come later and tell you they didn't have that dish available. Sometimes you had to wait a really long time for your food, the longest we waited was hour and a half! The breakfast was very simple. I know that's normal for Peru and even South America, but still. White bread, butter and jam. One type of serial. Some bananas. That's it.

The bar sometimes played reeeeeally loud music, even during the day time. A lot of people were complaining about the noise during the night, but our room was far away from the bar so it didn't trouble us. But many people were very unhappy about that.

The security was very good though, except that they told some guy that asked about me in the reception my room number! Not okay! So... Yeah. Now that I've counted everything out I guess they're just average, if that. But the vibe and the nice look of the hostel makes my total opinion just okay.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room close to the bar! It's really noise at night and you hear everything. T...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed here before and after we went to Machu Picchu and we had a great time. We're both around 20 and most of the other travellers were late teens/early twenties so it was definitely a great place to meet people if you want, although there's private rooms available if you want some privacy as well. Although the bar/parties meant that the hostel was pretty loud at night, it wasn't too bad and there was a pool/ping pong table and hammocks in the main square which made the hotel a great place to hang out in the day as well. The location was excellent and the staff were really friendly and very helpful, and allowed us to leave our bags for a few days while we went away. Would definitely recommend this place- it's a really great place to stay for young travellers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'm so glad I stayed at Milhouse while I was in Cusco. The location was unbeatable, next to San Fransisco Plaza with plenty of restaurants, shops, beautiful old buildings, and a quick walk from San Pedro markets and the main town square. I never felt remotely unsafe walking around there, even at night. We met people staying at other hostels and went to visit them, and couldn't believe the noise from the bars that blared through the entire hostel until late into the night. Milhouse's bar is on the roof, so even though it was a great time and stayed open late, you could barely hear it from your room. Every morning staff would scrub the entire hostel from top to bottom- it was exceptionally clean. We got a private room our first night, which was basic but clean and comfortable. The second night, our Machu Picchu trip was delayed due to a landslide. Milhouse didn't have any private rooms available last-minute, but they gave us a dorm and limited it to just the two of us, for the same price as if we had gotten a shared dorm. The dorm had big lockable cages for you to store your luggage, and each bed had a private cubby hole with an electrical outlet so you could charge your phone or electronics while you slept without leaving it out in the open. I was incredibly impressed with both the cleanliness and convenience or the private rooms and dorms.

We spent one night at the bar, and it was my favorite night in Peru. The entire staff is fun and friendly, and they had ping pong, pool, and beer pong. After the Milhouse bar closed, the staff brought us to other clubs around town, and we met some great people. In the mornings, the bar serves as a breakfast area, and they had bread with butter and jam, cereal, and fresh fruits, along with tea and coffee. If you wanted more, you could order from their large menu.

The main rooms were very comfortable, and one of the courtyards was covered (nice on rainy days). Bean bag chairs and hammocks, ping pong, and a seating area with tables and chairs provided plenty of places to chill. It was all sparkling clean.

All in all, Milhouse Cusco was my favorite experience in Peru other than Machu Picchu. They bent over backwards to accommodate us when our trip was delayed and we needed an extra night, everything was clean, the bar was crazy and fun yet didn't keep you up all night if you were in your room, the free breakfast was the best I had in Peru, the showers had hot water and decent pressure, the rooms stayed warm during an unseasonably cold week, location was very central and convenient, and the entire staff was friendly and helpful. I wish I could go back right now!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica-MIL, Manager at Milhouse Hostel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Alee,

Thanks a lot for your review! We love to hear about the experience of our guests at the Hostel. Also, we are glad to learn that despite the problem with your Machu Picchu trek, you were still happy to stay with us for one more night in one of our dorms. Hope to have you back at Milhouse to keep up the good vibe any time soon! Cheers, Jessica
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is one of the best hostels in Peru, ive been in a lot od them trust me, the beds were very confy and it was not loud like other places, very close to the main square and all the staff treated me like a king, totally recomend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Milhouse Hostel? Share your experiences!