“Lots of good qualities here” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Rumi Punku
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Choquechaca 339, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #15 of 145 Hotels in Cusco
Sacramento, California
“Lots of good qualities here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Pros:
- Nice airport pickup with English speaking staff, not just a taxi driver
- Signs all over the hotel reminding guests that people are sleeping. I really appreciated this! although there is annoying car horns from the street that can be heard everywhere, this dies down around 8 or 9 p.m.
- Great front desk staff with strong English skills
- Bought a fan when I told them I needed it to help me sleep. This was a great gesture since fans are rarely utilized in Cusco
- They were helpful finding me some natural remedies for digestion issues I was having including where chicken soup is served nearby
-- Great business center where I could Skype my wife. They had headphones on the computers to make listening easier

Cons
- When I called to make the reservation, they assured me that there would be no street noise but this is only true at night so it's difficult to nap during the day
- They put me on an awful 1/2 day city tour. They need to ask guests what level of detail they want on their tours. If you just want the superficial "headline news" details then what they provided is fine but I like details and understanding far more and willing to pay more for better quality guides. My guide book had better information than the guide and today I'm returning to 2 of the sites so I can explore in more depth
- They put together a "machu picchu" package for me again without asking what level of detail or service I wanted and not informing me that it might be easier to make my own arrangements. They charged a $30 arrangement fee for buying my train tickets, the bus ticket from aguas calientes to machu picchu and the ticket to get in. This seemed high to me. I could have bought the train tickets on the internet or direct from Peru Rail and I could have bought the other tickets myself in aguas calientes. Their intentions were fine but they should have been up front about what I could have done myself. Also had to pay for all of this in soles which meant going twice to the ATM machine and paying the ATM fees to come up with 650 soles.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We flew in from NYC and arrived in Lima early in the morning - we opted to fly straight from Lima to Cusco and arrived in Cusco late in the AM. We were met at the airport and driven to the hotel by Karina - who is the booking agent for Rumi Punku. The hotel itself was very nice, clean, and homey. Room size/bathroom is good and they provide a heater for night as it gets quite cold. It is a short walk to the main square and there are plenty of restaurants/small shops within walking distance. It is slightly pricier than other options in Cusco but we felt it was worth it to have a nicer stay at the beginning to aid in the acclimation. The area feels quite safe.

There are a lot of opinions on acclimating in Cusco - so I"ll throw in my two cents. It can be difficult the first day - we are young (late 20s) and relatively fit but the first day or two brought headaches and nausea which is the norm for the altitude. Depending on how ambitious you are you can fight through it or just build in a rest day. Drink plenty of cocoa tea/water and eat light. After landing we took a brief nap, ate a light lunch, then went on the half day city tour. Booking through Karina is a great option for Cusco activities as well as for purchase Macchu Picchu entrance tickets. There is a slight premium but worth it given how difficult it is to navigate the Peruvian government website.

A quick note about our schedule as it's difficult to find examples of people's sacred valley itineraries - we arrived in Cusco Day 1 AM. Half day city tour Day 1. Day 2 was Pisac and the Planetarium. Day 3 train to Aguas Calientes. Day 3 and 4 in Macchu Picchu. Day 4 evening train to Ollantaytambo. Day 5 tour from Olla to Fortress/Maras/Moray/Chinchero back to Cusco. Day 6 fly to rain forest. Highly recommend this kind of schedule as you really get to see some great sites in Cusco in a lot of detail. All these activities will be reviewed on their respective sites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Staff helpful and polite.
Comfortable accommodations.
Local quiet and well decorated.
Good location.
Heating the room is good but could be better.
Breakfast has plenty of fruits, juices and great breads. It would be better if it had more items.
--------------------
Hint: Do the tours with travel agent who works for the Hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here for four nights in November 2012. I would totally recommend it. It has a lot of character and I loved the layout with rooms arranged around courtyards on different levels. The room I had was very spacious and very comfortable. The staff were very hospitable and tried to please at every opportunity. The complimentary breakfast was the perfect start to the day with good protein and fresh fruit. Lastly the location was perfect, just a ten minute walk to the Plaza de Armas.

Room Tip: I had a ground level floor room which was very acceptable. There was a little noise but not too much...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We spent one night at the Hotel Rumi Punku at the end of December, then spent a night in Aguas Calientes at which point the hotel held our luggage, then returned back to Rumi Punku for two nights. We stayed in two different rooms during our time there. Both rooms were comfortable although the second was nicer than the first, with two double beds pushed together to form one. Despite being pushed together, it was quite comfortable.

I can't say enough about how worthwhile this hotel is. The location is fabulous and is just where you want to be: near Cusco's hustle and bustle but far enough away to be peaceful. It's in the fun San Blas neighborhood and is a 5-minute walk from the Plaza de Armas. The quiet cobblestone street is charismatic and safe. Hotel pictures don't do the space justice.

The hotel personnel, especially the manager and Sergio, went out of their way to smooth our journey. Each person that we asked had great and worthwhile food recommendations. They were really happy to help.

The breakfast buffet is basic but they are willing to make you eggs if requested. The courtyard gives the space character. There's free internet and computer access in a computer room.

This hotel is more expensive than a number of other options you can find in Cusco but the level of service, combined with the location, make it utterly worthwhile. It's safe, it's charismatic, and the pictures don't do it justice. If I return, I won't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a really nice value. Clean and modern, with a rustic feel. Perfect location, a couple of blocks from the Plaza de Armas. So it is convenient, but without the noise. Also, this hotel is located in the cool, artsy, San Blas neighborhood.

Cusco is a very safe city in general, but this hotel gives you that extra feeling of "security".

The staff and manager were super nice.

Recommend this hotel highly

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Waterville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family stayed two nights at Rumi Punku and it was exceptional, it exceeded our expectations. The rooms were clean and charming, and our room had a great view of Cuzco from the terrace since we were on the third floor. The hotel has multiple courtyards, all with very nice gardens. You feel removed from the busy city streets when you are inside the hotel. The service was exceptional any hour of the day, and they have a great travel agent (Karina) available to help you book guides and transportation, including at Machu Picchu. She was fantastic and everything she arranged for us went off without a hitch. Breakfast was included and was excellent.
Although there are a handful of hotels in Cusco that are higher end, I don't think you will find any better service and quality, and this is a far better value for the price.
It is a couple of blocks from the main Plaza, which is good if you want to have a quiter and safer location at night.
Only two drawbacks that we saw: It is uphill from the Plaza, so if the altitude is bothering you plan your trips so that you don't overdo it running back and forth. Also the interior courtyards and buildings are beatiful, but create a maze effect at first. Pay attention to the route to your room when they escort you there, and then spend a few minutes wandering and get a mental map of the place and you will be good to go.
This was our favorite hotel of our entire two week Peru trip, and we would definitely go back if we return to Peru.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor have great views and less interior courtyard noise. Some have terraces...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Rumi Punku? Share your experiences!