“I really love the hotel... But I have a couple of complains...”
My friends and i stayed at Arqueologo hotel for a total of 4 nights in November 2012. We stayed in Cusco, before going to Machu Picchu. We only reserved for the first night in Cusco here, but we ended up spending our entire nights in Cusco here. I just fell in love with this hotel. I have no problem with the facilities, rooms, and services, but I have a BIG complaint about the exchange rate when I paid with my credit card. The Soles/$ exchange rate was about 2.5 when I visited Peru, but when I paid my bill with my credit card (Master card), they used the exchange rate of 2.7!!! It's almost 10% tax on credit card transaction. I could ran to an exchange bureau but did not have time because we had to catch a cab to the airport. I hate this!!! But other than this cheating, I love the hotel. Below are the pros and the cons, and some pictures.
(1) Not super-new but the decoration of the room is lovely (see my pics). The hotel has a colonial style, a cute garden in the middle of rooms. We enjoyed relaxing in chairs in the garden in our first day in Cusco, adjusting to 3400m.
(2) Easy walk (a bit upward but...) to the central square. Less than 10 minutes. Never felt dangerous even at night.
(3) Shower in my room (Rm 302, next to the reception) worked very well. Water was hot, and the water flow was strong. But my friends (in Room 102) complained that their shower was not as good as mine. So check shower before deciding your room.
(4) They offered a welcome pisco sour, which was very good.
(5) The heating in the room was no problem.
(6) Breakfast was very nice. The breakfast room was decorated in a lovely manner.
(7) The staff (especially the ones working at the bar and the restaurant) are very friendly and nice!
(8) The restaurant attached to the hotel was one of the best in Cusco we thought. It's a bit far from the center of tourism, so it's less pricy, but the quality of the meat and the chef were superb. We liked the restaurant so much we decided to come back for our last supper in Cusco. They also have almost-daily jazz or singing performances at the restaurant.
(9) For the quality of the rooms and services, I think the hotel is very reasonably priced.
(10) They have free wifi, but it seems that they turn off the wifi at night. I did not get signals in my room (at night).
(11) They kept out bags when we visited Machu Picchu and stayed in Aguas Calientes for one night.
(a) In the first night, although I made a reservation through hotel.com the day before, we were told that they do not have our reservation in their system. According to them, their system is not connected to hotel.com server on Sunday (the first night of our stay was Sunday). At the end they had some vacancies so there was no problem, but they gave us standard rooms although I reserved superior rooms. So be careful.
(b) The Soles/$ exchange rate was about 2.5 when I visited Peru, but when I paid my bill with my credit card (Master card), they used the exchange rate of 2.7!!! It's almost 10% tax on credit card transaction. I could ran to an exchange bureau but did not have time because we had to catch a cab to the airport. I hate this!!!
At the end, I love my stay. If they did not charge 2.7 soles/$ for my bill, I gave five stars. Now I learned the way they tricked their customers, I think I come back to this hotel when I come back to Cusco.
Check shower. Make sure you get very hot water with a strong water flow!
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.