“Nice situation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #138 of 226 Specialty lodging in Cusco
Liège
“Nice situation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed 1 night at the Casa Grande in Cusco... It was so close from the Plaza de Armas so very nice to rest there with or big backpack... We were satisfied with the hotel. Very well located with Mate coca to welcome us after a very long journey straight from Europe… We don’t remember very well the room but we slept well as my girl friend had a bit of headache because of the altitude… So I suppose it was quiet enough... They kept a part of our luggage for free as we’ve headed to Pisac, Ollantataybo and Aguas Calientes… If I ever come back in Cusco I’ll probably go back to this place because of the location and the pretty good price…

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tempe, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My tour operator placed me at this place. All of the employees were very pleasant, and their location was excellent. But, the building itself was from a horror story; squeaky floors, dark/scary rooms, nasty blankets, etc. Even the key to my room didn't work properly. I didn't try breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights before marching to the Inka trail. I must say we really didn't like our stay. The rooms are crazy cold, dark, the bed very uncomfortable and simply ugly (old, dirty etc); very noisy, we woke up with other ppl several times; the breakfast is depressive, with 3 day old bread (not a single toaster) and 4 HALF slices of crappy ham! Also we were going to hike the Inka trail and needed to drop our bags (all hotels have this service) however, at this place, they just put the bags at the reception where anyone could steal it. I guess the only good thing about this hotel is the location, around the block from Plaza de Armas. We paid $50 per night, had we paid $25 I would say you get what you pay for, but, $50 in Peru goes a long way and they could at least get fresh bread and put more food.
We also had problems with the water. It was scarce and cold, it was a nightmare to take a shower because we were always freezing and if you have long hair like me... don't want to remember it...
We ended up switching to Awkis Dream hotel, where we paid $45 and it was a much nicer place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
NW California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

It is very difficult sometimes to rate hotels. What basis do you use for a standard? This hotel has an excellent location. Just over 1 block from the Plaza de Armas. The rooms were clean and simple. The bed was hard. The shower used a instant water heater which meant you had a choice of hot water or volume, but could not get both. I gave this hotel a rating of average since it cost roughly $28 (US) per night for 2 of us, including breakfast. I doupt there is another place in this price range in such a good location. We stayed 2 nights. I would have come back to this hotel but my wife felt the beds were too hard, so we went elsewhere when we returned from Aguas Caliente.

This place is certainly worth consideration based on the price and location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Terrible, really terrible. I stayed there for 1 night ... the rooms were dirty and bad illuminated. When we arrived, the girl of the frontdesk showed us a room that couldn't be closed from the inside ¿? Instead, she offered me a padlock (but the room would still be opened when we were inside ¿?) Then, she offered us another room, but actually she never could open the door (the lock was broken). Finally, she gave us a room, very small, and dirty. When we were sleeping, we heard noises from the couple of the next room (the walls were so thin that you could hear everything!).
The breakfast is served in the yard, and given that Cuzco is a cold city in the early morning, your breakfast will be served frozen too.
Finally, I made a reservation in order to sleep there when I return from Machu Picchu (an amazing place!). It was like 2 am and we were returning from Machu Picchu (the train lines suffered a problem because of the weather) when we arrived to Casa Grande. As soon we got inside to the hotel, the boy of the frontdesk told us that they were overbooked and we couldn't stay there (he offered us to go to another hotel)... we had to accepted his offer because we had no choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

The hotel is very different from the pics you see in the internet. The bedroom smelled very badly, the shower is only hot with a few drops of water and there was one day that there was no water at all. The blankets and sheets had stains on them and the breakfast is very poor.
The location was great, but I am sure you can find hostels better than this "hotel" just as well located.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Saratoga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Was the worst place I stayed at in a month in Cuzco. My boyfriend and I called it "the dungeon". Scariest room and bathroom I have ever seen, really felt like a prison cell. I talked to some German tourists and they said their room was really loud. I have to give them credit for giving me a break on the price of the hotel for the room from hell and setting us up at Hostal Catalina across the street which was a wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Grande Lodging? Share your experiences!