““Do not recommend”” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #139 of 244 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Lima, Peru
““Do not recommend””
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Terrible, really terrible. I stayed there for 1 night ... the rooms were dirty and bad illuminated. When we arrived, the girl of the frontdesk showed us a room that couldn't be closed from the inside ¿? Instead, she offered me a padlock (but the room would still be opened when we were inside ¿?) Then, she offered us another room, but actually she never could open the door (the lock was broken). Finally, she gave us a room, very small, and dirty. When we were sleeping, we heard noises from the couple of the next room (the walls were so thin that you could hear everything!).
The breakfast is served in the yard, and given that Cuzco is a cold city in the early morning, your breakfast will be served frozen too.
Finally, I made a reservation in order to sleep there when I return from Machu Picchu (an amazing place!). It was like 2 am and we were returning from Machu Picchu (the train lines suffered a problem because of the weather) when we arrived to Casa Grande. As soon we got inside to the hotel, the boy of the frontdesk told us that they were overbooked and we couldn't stay there (he offered us to go to another hotel)... we had to accepted his offer because we had no choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

The hotel is very different from the pics you see in the internet. The bedroom smelled very badly, the shower is only hot with a few drops of water and there was one day that there was no water at all. The blankets and sheets had stains on them and the breakfast is very poor.
The location was great, but I am sure you can find hostels better than this "hotel" just as well located.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Saratoga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Was the worst place I stayed at in a month in Cuzco. My boyfriend and I called it "the dungeon". Scariest room and bathroom I have ever seen, really felt like a prison cell. I talked to some German tourists and they said their room was really loud. I have to give them credit for giving me a break on the price of the hotel for the room from hell and setting us up at Hostal Catalina across the street which was a wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Green Cove Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Casa Grande has a good location, decent services and ok rooms for the price, although it can be noisy. They can provide a heater for your room which we appreciated. Staff is helpful with the exception of people who sell tours through the hotel. (Tour company is called Amazing Andean Adventures.) The woman, Norca(sp?), who sold us a trip to Machu Picchu was eager to sign us up and promise all the best things.
We traveled to Aguas Calientes to stay overnight before our trip the next day up to Machu Picchu The hotel we were booked into was nearly empty and very noisy thanks to a local family who lived there and let their kids run and scream through the hallways. We were supposed to meet with our tour guide that night in order to go over the details of the next day's trip to MP. The guide didn't show up until we repeatedly asked the hotel staff to make several calls to find him. He arrived late with no apology and then told us we would not be able to take the sunrise tour we had signed up for. That was what we had especially told the tour operator we wanted.
Again the tour guide made no apologies, was rude while showing us his big plastic smile, and just said, "That's the way it is." So we were very disappointed and went on a later tour the next day with a different guide that turned out alright. When we returned to the Casa Grande in Cusco the next day, the woman who sold us the tour saw us several times around the hotel but never apologized for the mix-up or even talked to us. She had our money and that was that. So we wouldn't recommend using the tour services at the Casa Grande or the Amazing Andean Adventures agency.
FYI, if you go to Machu Picchu you don't have to book a guide in Cusco but can wait until you get to MP where there are plenty of guides who you can use and get a good price from.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I stayed four nights at the Casa Grande in Cusco and was very satisfied with the hostal. Cusco is a bit more expensive than other towns in Peru so be prepared. My room with a double bed, TV, private bathroom (shower) cost 65 soles per night.

The hotel is well kept and some of the rooms face a beautiful inner courtyard. The breakfast was very good with bread, bologna, cheese, tea and coffee. I also appreciated the two computers that provided free internet access from 7 am to 10 pm.

My room, 203, faced the street and there was some street noise but most of the other rooms do not face the street so noise should not be a problem. The bed was very comfortable and bathroom was functional and clean. The room was made up nicely every day (except the Sunday) and the TV had many channels (including several english ones).

The location of the hostal just off Plaza des Armes so it is central, and finally the staff was very pleasant at all times. They allowed me to store my luggage at the hotel my last day. My only complaint was the 9:30 am checkout (which is a bit early) and the fact that they make you pay for your room each day rather than when you checkout. Both minor issues.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Great little hotel right around the corner from the main plaza. My plans changed a bit during the trip and the hotel I was staying at didn’t have any rooms available for when I needed but the Casa Grande did. Great price (better than where I was staying) and it was comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was tasty and the staff was very pleasant. Would definitely stay here again with friends and/or family.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Hua Hin, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

With all of the impersonality and tourism pressure in Cusco, it's hard to believe that this place right next to the Plaza de Armas would be so unpretentious and friendly. Cusco is overpriced, but this place has all of the necessities for the tired trekker or meandering tourist at a decent enough rate. The staff were terrific and genuinely friendly. Best place I stayed in Cusco.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Casa Grande Lodging? Share your experiences!