“Web Site Needs Work, Cramped Spacing & I Paid for Transportation, not Marketing Theater!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Perurail

Ranked #33 of 100 attractions in Cusco
Type: Scenic Railroads
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: "Explore your senses" Connect your senses through a sophisticated and sensory journey. The Vistadome train is for the traveller who does not only love nature but also looks for enjoying, feeling it and being in contact with it.Sight: Totally panoramic windows that connect you to the route.Hearing: Representative dances of the Andean culture (only on the return trip)Taste: Brunch and breakfast prepared with Andean ingredients.Touch: Warm and fresh environment. More comfort with leather seats and extensive leg room
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I recently returned from a trip to Peru and had a wonderful time visiting Cusco, Ollantayambo and Machu Picchu. Everything from the hotels to the restaurants were great. The sole exception to the enjoyment and my satisfaction was Peru Rail.

First Issue: I ordered my train tickets well ahead of time online but still needed to pick the actual boarding passes up at their designated locations in Ollantayambo and Cusco for verification since my credit card wasn't one of their chosen cards. I'm not sure why this inconvenience is necessary since I don't need to provide the same verification for airline tickets (or anything else I ever order online). The whole purpose of ordering tickets online is to save time from having to stand in line at the stations later. Also, the ID numbers of your ticket orders need to be printed at the time you purchase them online. If you don't print them, there is no way of finding the ID later on the Peru Rail web site page later. However, you are able to track your planned train routes. Not sure why the ID numbers of the orders aren't included in the itinerary shown since it's needed later when you pick up the boarding passes.

Second issue: The space in the Vistadome train is too cramped. I'm just about 5'10 and slim and had no leg room. A small older lady sitting across from me kept kicking me since there was not a sufficient amount of space for both of us. It 's also a tight squeeze with the person next to you as well.

Third issue: From what I read on other reviews, there isn't much of a difference between the Vistadome and Expedition trains so the value is poor as well. I spent $173 round trip. Way to expensive for the service provided and I expect to get more from a "better" train.

Fourth (and the most annoying issue): I paid for transportation, not marketing theater! Here is what happened. About an hour into the return trip from Machu Picchu to Cusco, the train stops. I'm trying to sleep having been up since 4AM to hike Wayna Picchu and all of sudden, this loud Peruvian salsa techno music starts blaring on the train speakers waking me up. Then, this Peru Rail employee dressed up in a rejected Mardi Gras-like costume comes running down the aisle hooting like a wounded owl. He selects a young female passenger and starts dancing with her while continually making this horrid hooting sound. He temporarily stops and leaves. Meanwhile, the male and female train attendants for the train car begin walking down the aisles modeling alpaca clothing for the passengers to buy (everything from sweaters to scarves). When they go behind the curtains at each end of the aisle to change wardrobes to model, the costume guy returns and performs the same irritating dance, clapping and hooting. This goes on for 15 minutes (but seemed longer). Can't make this stuff up. All I wanted was some peace and quiet, but instead, I get woken up by this nonsense. For damn sakes Peru Rail, your service is to provide safe/comfortable transportation, not to hock your alpaca items onto your passengers for a few extra bucks - let alone disturbing the hell out of them while doing do. There is a time and place for that (like the many markets around Peru aimed at tourists). You'd think for the overpriced tickets being charged, this wouldn't be necessary.

Fifth issue: If Peru Rail is going to transfer passengers from their train to a bus for about half distance of the route, they should seriously think of lowering the rates until the track is repaired (or whatever the reason is for the transfer). It's not right to charge customers a full rate for a train when they are only receiving a portion of it.

Again, I really enjoyed my stay in Peru and make a point of not being too sensitive/picky on the trips I take when I know effort is being made in the service provided. Peru Rail was disappointing.

Visited July 2013
PeruRail, Community Manager at Perurail, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Clovertie,

We are very sorry that we have not fulfilled your needs and travel expectations on this occasion and we apologize for any inconvenience caused on board. We value your opinion because the most important ​to us are our passengers and their 100% satisfaction with our service. All our services are thought to provide an enjoyable and comfortable journey for all our passengers, and we regret you did not have a pleasant experience in our train with the entertainment we offer on board. However, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with our Trip Advisor community and we are always at your service.

• Polish first
Los Angeles, California
“Good rail service with limited availability.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

A good rail service that I took from Cusco to Machu Picchu where they offered a light meal both to and from the two locations. My biggest complaint is that the first train to leave from Machu Picchu to Cusco is a good 5 hours after the last train to arrive from Cusco to Machu Picchu.

Dear Mr. John J,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the journey. We hope we can have you back soon.

The PeruRail Team
Georgetown, Texas
20 attraction reviews
“Better than walking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

There's not much to compare Perurail to in the area. The trains are comfortable, but don't have a huge amount of luggage room. Stations are very crowded with tourists and locals alike. Get there on time, listen for your train to be announced, and you'll be fine. Just be aware that the train currently does NOT start or end at Cusco!

Dear Mr. / Mrs. crusadercc,

Thank you very much for your comments and helpful recommendations for future passengers and also for taking the time to share them with our community. We are continuously working to offer our passengers a unique and quality service all the time so they can experience an unforgettable journey with PeruRail. Once again, thank you for choosing us as your travel option in this opportunity and we hope we can have you back soon.

The Perurail Team
New York City, New York
18 attraction reviews
“Least expensive option is the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The train is currently not running from Cusco, so we had to take a bus about half way (this is included in the train ticket). The least expensive Expedition train has comfortable seats, great views, and provides the passengers with snacks and drinks onboard. They also sell additional food to the complimentary snack box.
There is no point in spending more unless one of the the other trains schedule suits you better.

Dear Mr. / Mrs. x-well-traveled,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the Trip Advisor community. Thank you for choosing PeruRail and we hope to see you back aboard of our trains.

The Perurail Team
Sao Paulo, SP
3 attraction reviews
“Could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Too much money for the service.
Ok the view during the trip is beautiful, but the trains in europe are much more cheaper and better.

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Maiby,

We appreciate taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community. ​All our services are thought to provide our passengers with a unique and excellent service with all the comfort and entertainment they deserve for a special journey like this one. We would like to thank you for your preference with PeruRail and we hope we can have you back for another adventure in the future.

The PeruRail Team