“X-Treme Tourbalencia Treking” 5 of 5 stars

Helotes
6 attraction reviews
“X-Treme Tourbalencia Treking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Even being fit this is a tough trek. Be prepaired for hot, very cold, rainy, even hail. The weather changes from hour to hour. Our guide Freddy Zapata was awesome. The park facilities along the Camino are not clean, so be prepaired. Use the woods instead of the toilets. Bring antidirrheal medicine...its a must!

Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Experience of a lifetime!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Wow wow!!! this has got to be one of the highlights of my life =D . A must do!!! Amazing sights to see and things to learn. We did the 4 day classic Inca Trail with Andina Travel. The whole team from admin people, porters and to our guide were amazing and very attentive. Words cannot express my gratitude enough to them. Thanks again!

Southern England
6 attraction reviews
“Even us oldies loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was apprehensive at age 54 with the thought of trecking those steep steps and also the camping. But our tour company G Adventure had organised everything perfectly and our guides were amazing - Johan and Heber. It was really tough walking (for me), I was pleased I'd done some gym training prior and had those magic blister plasters, also that we'd hired poles. But it was the most magical thing I've ever done and it wll stay with me always. The sights, views, people, whole experience cannot be beated in my opinion. Do it!

Visited August 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
24 attraction reviews
“A very rewarding challenge....amazing sceneries...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We did the 4 day trek, and we used GAdventures as provider - which we will never regret.

My wife and I (41 & 44 years old) prepared ourselves physically a bit before we left Argentina, which I can recommend to everybody. The Inca Trail is for all who carry the will to suffer a bit, before the BIG REWARD is paid out = everybody with no problems with legs, hips or knees can do it.

We only saw 4 people turning back during our trek, but we also saw a cool couple in their late 60´ies finishing with style.

The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is the best choice, as you will be in the middle of wonderful mountains offering you stunning views, spectacular ruins, etc. - which will lead to a lot of great pictures. The actual trek is impressive, as in how the Incas were able to construct this path to cross the mountains. You will over and over again think to yourself, that it is almost surreal how they could make the trail and the buildings in the mountains back in those time. In other words it is: Fantastic.

Day 1: Not challenging, and about 6 hours.
Day 2: VERY challenging, the toughest day. About 9-10 hours. First 6 hours UP UP UP UP UP!!!!
Day 3: The longest day, about 11 hours. The final 4-5 hours DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN!!!
Day 4: Very short. Up very early, 4. am, to be in the line for the "entrence". About 3 hours

OBS: If you have problems with your knees, etc. then take into account that it is stairs the whole 2. day and a lot of the 3. day!!! Use walking sticks.

If you are the type of traveler, who want to give something before you recieve, then the Inca Trail is a good choice. I will list some items which could be considered before booking the trek.

- Willpower is the most important to bring, as it is not a walk in the park.
- Book the tour months before you actually are doing the trip. We met people who wanted to do it, but couldn´t because the limit of people were reached. Only 500 people are allowed to be in the Inca Trail per day, including porters, etc. = about 250 tourists.
- Prepare yourself a bit physically before you leave home, it will pay off.
- Bring clothes for all situations, even the "dry season" can be with rain and snow.
- Besides all the recommended, bring: Flip-flops, extra batteries for the cameras, head-light.
- You can buy drinks, snacks, etc. several places during the trek = don´t need to bring before trek
- IF the company offers you walking sticks = YES, even if you have to pay a small fee.
- To keep the amount of kilos as less as possible, evaluate what you bring.
- MAX.: 6 kilos pr. porter
- Boots or shoes, what is the best for you no big difference. Make sure they are well used before.
- As it is cold during the night, the lifetime of batteries are less than usual. Remove from cams. and put them close to the body while you sleep. You can´t recharge batteries during the trek.
- DO your own pace - even if you are the last in the group.

It is one of the best treks I have made in my time, and I can recommend it to everybody who wants to do it. Besides that I recommend to do the trek in the months of: June, July or August.

Visited July 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
“4 Day Inca Trail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great 4 day adventure, every day offered a different challenge, make sure you know how to use those walking poles (they are a life saver). Still not sure if the porter welfare is enforced, they seemed to be carrying alot more than they should on the trail. Brilliant sense of acheivment but be prepared for the 'toilet situation' and the smell - put up with that and you will have an amazing experience