“age beauty and inconsistencies” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Hotel Monasterio

You added Belmond Hotel Monasterio to your Saves list
Belmond Hotel Monasterio
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Palacio 136 | Plazoleta Nazarenas, Cusco 5184, Peru   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #8 of 145 Hotels in Cusco
Brasil
“age beauty and inconsistencies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

It is nice,well decorated,and the oxigen in the rooms certainly is a big help,they also kept our luggage and put it back in a new room, after going to Machu Picchu .It is very touristy though and the restaurant only runs on regular hours so if you come back like 18:00 you have to leave the place and at 3340 meters every effort gets your heart pounding,They try to be sophisticated but end up with some inconsistencies ,though I realize that the closet in the bathroom is weird in a former convent it might have been the only solution.What really gets me mad and that goes to all Orient Express hotels are those little hangers with hooks that don't get off like you might steal them , it is so cheap .You tend to forgive because of the beauty and the nice breakfast

• Liked — beds oxigen breakfast
  • Disliked — inconsistencies and hangers
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Polish first
Blenheim New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed here two nights before our trip on the Hiram Bingham and then one night on the return.

When we booked in we were surprised that the room wasn't bigger and more luxurious having looked at the rooms on the site. It was one of the oxygenated rooms. But it seemed fine and it is a beautiful old monastery.

Our first night stay was fine although the restaurant could do with improved vegetarian options but by this time in Peru I had got used to this.

We were allocated room 23 which backs onto the neighbour's house. The neighbour decided to play a music channel or video game at full volume which resonated through this room. The hotel did send security round and the volume was reduced but it was still evident and we got little sleep and my husband was up all night. Not good when it was my 50th birthday trip on Hiram Bingham the next day.

The hotel apologized profusely, dealt with it in a very professional manner and compensated us accordingly.

The only other warning is beware the step into the breakfast restaurant - we watched two people fall over in one morning and then one trip. I actually fell badly on the last morning and was badly bruised on the hip so i was in pain for a good few days after. So watch your staff.

After all this - would we stay there again - yes - its a good hotel - I think we were just unlucky. The staff are nice and basically they do want to help and achieve high standards.

• Liked — fantastic building and helpful staff
  • Disliked — watch the room allocation
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Monasterio for the final 5 days of our Peruvian holiday and it was just MAGNIFICENT! I feel that in our many travels around the world, this was one of our marquis experiences. Each moment of our stay, we felt the genuine care and concern from the members of the staff not to mention, the hotel is one of the most beautiful and historic places we've experienced.

From the moment we got off the train from Machu Picchu, Edgar from Guest Relations was waiting patiently to take us directly to the hotel in their comfortable car. We were greeted at the door and wisked away to our room. Somehow, the staff knew the trip was part of our honeymoon and our room had a special surprise of rose petals, champagne, and a warm bath waiting. In all of it, we could feel that the staff was genuinely excited to share in our special event.

Also, guest relations is excellent at suggesting small day trips outside of the city (highly recommend this!) and we decided to take a small day trip with Edgar to Tipon in the hotel's car - he is professional, very kind, and learned about the local sites, customs, and cuisine...we even tried the Cuy, yum!!!

In addition to the world class service, the hotel itself is beautiful and a historic site in Cusco. It was actually a seminary that was recently converted and boasts beautiful architecture and paintings. We met others staying on property and all our rooms (despite different ranges of standard rooms to suites) were just beautiful, well appointed, comfortable, and very clean.

Also, you can't beat the central location...just minutes from San Blas, the Cathedral, museums, and a short hike to Sacsayhuaman ruins.

If you can splurge on this part of your stay, I hope it's just as amazing as ours was...we will forever cherish our memories in Peru! Bon Voyage!

Stayed June 2008
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

This is a beautifully appointed and decorated hotel. The public spaces are magnificent with a lot of attention to detail. Our deluxe room, however, was a bit too claustraphobhic for my liking, with ONE minute window (1m x 70cm?) at ground level! The wardrobe is squashed into the bathroom (there is ample space in the bedroom). The bathroom has no window or extractor fan. Great L'Occitane amenities and room furnishings. The breakfeast is superb: the large banquet table literally seems to groan with the presented faire. Loved the celery-orange juice mix. Dinner in the main restaurant was also superb presented with absolute finesse.

The "business centre" although well shop fitted is too small and the Hotel should have a more appropriate Boutique (rather than a vitrine) to purvey it's merchandise.

Overall the Hotel has great atmosphere and the experience is worth the splurge

• Liked — Decor and Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Claustraphobic Room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lynnmora, Management at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, July 15, 2008
I am always very sorry to know that we did not fulfill your expectations.

The Monastery was originally built in 1595 on the site of the palace of Inca Amaru Qhala. The hotel remains a national historical landmark, protected by the INC (National Institute of Culture) and has retained its original characteristics and charm. That is why the old Monks cells have been converted into hotel rooms.

We would like to share with you that we are close to open a new and bigger business centre and an appropriate boutique inside our property.

Patricio Zucconi
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

This hotel was centrally located and right by a bunch of good restaurants in Cusco. It was beautifully decorated in general, particularly the chapel,and the rooms were also nicely decorated. The bathrooms were roomy, but the room was a little cramped. Very polite service. Definately more of a boutique hotel feel than a large chain hotel, but it suited the town. Would stay again.

Stayed June 2008
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We recently stayed at hotel Monesterio in Cuzco. We booked the hotel with American Express and it gave us lots of perks. However when you get there you have to remind them of your deal, otherwise they will try to charge you for everything. A man by the name Carlos was at the conciege he totally lied to us and told us our train ticket to Machu Pichu was not from the train station in Cuzco and tried to sell us tickets on the Luxury train owned by Orient Express. We took a trip to the train station and found out that he was trying to scam us. Unlike the other hotels owned by this company. We found the staff a little on the nasty side. They expect a tip if they answer a question and it was a great turn off.

lynnmora, Management Representative at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, June 10, 2008
We are terribly sorry to hear that our service did not fulfill your expectations. We work very hard in order to provide the best service to our guests when they require assistance. Regarding the train booking the intention of our agent was to offer you the best option available, as per Peru Rail information provided at that time. We would like to inform that we do not handle the train bookings and as any carrier services, last minute cancellations might happen at any moment. Once again, we apologize for the inconveniences caused.

The Management
Hotel Monasterio
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a 2week stay in Peru, ending with 3 nights at the Monasterio in Cusco. I booked through their web site and used a special rate for a deluxe room (extremely nicer than the standards,with a garden view terrace and many amenities.) Also the l0% fee as indicated by previous review was included and clearly stated.

However, the main reason I gave this hotel an "excellent" was not only for the elegant look, the serene environment (we were also fortunate that during most of our stay it was not overtaken by tour groups - which regularly stay there); but for the service and terrific attitude of the entire staff.

It is devastating to become very ill so far from home; it is very stressful to end a trip in such a beautiful country needing a doctor and being in a medical clinic all day & night.
However, the staff, from the conceirge, the manager, housekeeping, doormen, waitstaff, etc. all pulled together and got my husband and I through a terrible ordeal.

My husband had became quite ill during our last 2 days and needed immediate attention. The caring, effiicient conceirge called a doctor as I stood there, and within minutes he was in our room. The doctor was excellent and knew exactly how the situation should be handled. He even accompanied us to the medical facility and stayed most of the time with my husband. Meanwhile the hotel kept calling the clinic for me when I returned to rest, and kept me up to date up on progress reports as my spanish was elementary at best. They provided taxi service for me coming and going from the clinc, with no charge.

The housekeeping staff moved in and out of our room during the times I wandered around the beautiful grounds-- to clean up and refresh the room without bothering me. The waitstaff at the hotel treated me as family since I was alone. Even the boutique ladies checked on me and sent my husband a good luck charm. The business office manager was there to help me with emails I had to send, changing flights, etc., as I was so stressed I could barely turn a computer on.

Flowers were brought in to cheer me; the manager personally checked on me. I cannot say enough about the care and professionalism of the Monasterio during a crisis that could have ruined our entire trip. They stepped up to the plate and gave me more than any l0percent could cover. I would say if you are going to be ill in Cusco, you could not find a hotel that took you in as a family member quite like Monasterio.

We both agreed their prices are higher than other hotels in Cusco, but their genuine concern, care and hospitality shone like the stars they have acquired. And to be in such a gorgeous, yet serene and calming environment was a necessity.
There is a chapel unlike anything I have ever seen, and so many nooks and crannies with views of San Blas rooftops, gardens, 3 courtyards full of flowers and wonderful sitting areas. I felt I was in a special wonderland, and was just disappointed my husband did not get to enjoy it.
Yet, he did not have the additional stress of worrying about me being alone in Cusco as I had the Monasterio family.

If you don't like the prices, don't stay there. But if you can afford it, go for it; as it left us with wonderful memories of the "locals" banding together to take care of strangers in their country.

I would not hesitate to return to the Monasterio...even with my husband's illness we returned with warm, positive feelings for every lodge we stayed in Peru; but the Monasterio clearly showed their class and pride in customer service from the moment we walked in the door.
A huge "mucho gracias" to all the members of the Monasterio hotel family and Dr. Jorge and his team.

• Liked — Staff, Ambiance
  • Disliked — Not staying longer
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Belmond Hotel Monasterio? Share your experiences!