“Food was good, Service was perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 411 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Mexican
Good for: Romance, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Cozy restaurant managed personally by it's owners in the front and the back of the house, located in a colonial home with amazing views of monuments, churches and the Cristo Blanco. It's ideal for romantic ocasions by the wood burning fireplace. It's counts with two ambiences decorated in a rustic colorful style. It's menu is a combination of dishes from the Caribbean, Mexico, Spain and Central and South America. Restaurant is closed on Sundays. Only Visa credit card is accepted. RESTAURANT WILL BE CLOSED FROM THE 30TH OF MAY TIL THE 15TH OF JUNE. SORRY.
Los Angeles, California
“Food was good, Service was perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Cool, spot. Went solo one night when my girlfriend was sleeping at the hotel. Good lighting. Cool menu above the wall. Excellent bread! It was the best bread I had in Peru. I ordered the black bean steak stew. Very good. What shined to me was the service. A woman from venezuela (I asked) and her guy co-working counterpart, were both incredibly attentive.

My bill for one was 40 soles before tip. one bowl of stew, one large beer.

Visited November 2012

“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Was excited to try this restaurant after reading the reviews on trip advisor, and it lived up to all expectations! The pumpkin and carrot soup and ceviche appetizers were delicious, and the Peruvian beef and vegetable inkazuelas were delicious. The service was terrific. Highly recommended!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We liked this restaurant so much we went two nights running. The inkazuela beef with chile was amazing. Staff are all really friendly and passionate about creating a special evening for their customers. Definitely recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Awesome new restaurant !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The chicken coconut and cury stew was great ! The service is friendly and it's fun to go check the menu on the black boards. Ambiance is very casual but that's a plus for me.

Visited November 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Inka-poisoning !!! They use old meat.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

What an awful experience!

We shared the chili starter and then had 1 veggie and 1 Belize beef cazuela. It started off quite well because the service is quite good and friendly. Pisco sour was also ok.

Little did we know that we were both going to spend the entire night puking and on the toilet. I probably got less than an hour sleep and only stopped puking at 8am. It was so bad that we had to cancel (at no refund) our private tour booked on the next day and stay in bed. Lucky we had a decent hotel.

I was harder hit than my wife and no suprise, I also had most of the chili starter we shared. She did recognize that the chili wasn't to her liking but to me it tasted pretty good. Damn I was hungry. We had only had a light snack for lunch. This is important to note because one could think the food poisoning came from somewhere else. No, it didn't.

Very likely the meat used in the chili starter was too old.

Maybe given the low number of visitors we noticed on that night, they don't turn the food fast enough and it gets too old.

Btw, seemed to me like cazuelas were pre cooked and and then just heated up.

Up to you if you want to take the risk!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
adela c, Owner at Restaurant Inkazuela, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Mr. TravelCQ,

We are very sorry to learn about the health problem you suffered during your stay in cusco.
However, we would like to point out that food-poisoning symptoms may appear at any time between 30 minutes and 72 hours after swallowing the contaminated food. Afte having spent some days in Cusco and having eaten at different places apart from our restaurant, the possibility of being able to identify the exact source of the infection is extremly remote. It is therefore not possible to state with certainty that our restaurant was the cause of your health problem, furthermore, yesterday I contacted some local customers that ate chilli the same day as you did and everything was fine which proves us that the poisoning did not come from us. Also remember that you said it tasted good.

I personally have been in the food business for over 28 years, and I have never encountered comments of this type, doubtlessly owing to our application of strict rules for food handling and good processing practices.

Having said that, it is not reasonable to make such an accusation without complete certainty or legal proof regarding whom is truly to blame. We consider those comments unfair on account of the very considerable possibility that we are not the responsible party, and we repeat, other clients had the same dish you had the same day and were perfectly ok.

In peru, a common cause of cases of food poisoning is the consumption of shellfish or raw vegetables which have not been disinfected. It is extremely unlikely that food poisoning will occur as a result of eating cooked meat that on top of that has been cookek for 5 hours.

Best regards,