What an awful experience!
We shared the chili starter and then had 1 veggie and 1 Belize beef cazuela. It started off quite well because the service is quite good and friendly. Pisco sour was also ok.
Little did we know that we were both going to spend the entire night puking and on the toilet. I probably got less than an hour sleep and only stopped puking at 8am. It was so bad that we had to cancel (at no refund) our private tour booked on the next day and stay in bed. Lucky we had a decent hotel.
I was harder hit than my wife and no suprise, I also had most of the chili starter we shared. She did recognize that the chili wasn't to her liking but to me it tasted pretty good. Damn I was hungry. We had only had a light snack for lunch. This is important to note because one could think the food poisoning came from somewhere else. No, it didn't.
Very likely the meat used in the chili starter was too old.
Maybe given the low number of visitors we noticed on that night, they don't turn the food fast enough and it gets too old.
Btw, seemed to me like cazuelas were pre cooked and and then just heated up.
Up to you if you want to take the risk!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Mr. TravelCQ,
Report response as inappropriate
We are very sorry to learn about the health problem you suffered during your stay in cusco.
However, we would like to point out that food-poisoning symptoms may appear at any time between 30 minutes and 72 hours after swallowing the contaminated food. Afte having spent some days in Cusco and having eaten at different places apart from our restaurant, the possibility of being able to identify the exact source of the infection is extremly remote. It is therefore not possible to state with certainty that our restaurant was the cause of your health problem, furthermore, yesterday I contacted some local customers that ate chilli the same day as you did and everything was fine which proves us that the poisoning did not come from us. Also remember that you said it tasted good.
I personally have been in the food business for over 28 years, and I have never encountered comments of this type, doubtlessly owing to our application of strict rules for food handling and good processing practices.
Having said that, it is not reasonable to make such an accusation without complete certainty or legal proof regarding whom is truly to blame. We consider those comments unfair on account of the very considerable possibility that we are not the responsible party, and we repeat, other clients had the same dish you had the same day and were perfectly ok.
In peru, a common cause of cases of food poisoning is the consumption of shellfish or raw vegetables which have not been disinfected. It is extremely unlikely that food poisoning will occur as a result of eating cooked meat that on top of that has been cookek for 5 hours.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.