“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 257 Cusco B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of September. We are expected as agreed at the airport which was nice. The hotel is about 15 minutes walk to downtown a taxi takes just a few minutes and costs only 3-4 soles (1,5 $). The area is safe and quiet.

In hotel everything seems to be new, the hot water and the Wi-Fi work fine. I found the staff and the hotel manager helpful and very customer service orientated. We were given advice about directions, prices, restaurants, options about visits. The breakfast was very good – we had the best breakfast while staying in Peru (10 days – Lima, Sacred Valley and jungle): avocado, fresh coffee, fruit juices, scrambled eggs, bread, jam, butter, even a delicious chicken breast (nice touch as for me a meal without meat is not really a meal).

I found the staff handles very well the colder climate of Cusco – they provided us electric heaters and hot water bottles (I have to buy one of that); we stayed one night in Ollanta at Iskay Hostel and they were asking 5 $ for the same electric heaters. I would definitely stay there again as I loved the service and the value-price ratio was excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I found this place odd and overpriced for what it delivers. I think the name "boutique hotel" makes it sound way fancier than what it really was.

At first contact the staff was nice and got us some tea in the room upon arrival - nice touch!

The rooms have nice decoration indeed, the bed is good too, but it is very cold - we stayed in 3 hotels in Cusco so I can tell you it's not just the weather. The fact that the hotel doesn't receive much direct sunlight affects the temperature. They do give you an electrical portable heater, but it is not very powerful - you need to put it on in the afternoon to be warm at night.

The breakfast is very odd. On the first day, we were served a burger without even asking! What if we were vegetarian? Hindu?! I know they are not going to take all these things into consideration, but a burger first thing in the morning is strange. The following day there were eggs - more standard.

The worst part of this hotel? The bathroom. The shower has its own personality when it comes to temperature control and the flush of the toilet is an absolute disaster. We had to flush up to 5 times to get rid of stuff... What's worse? Other people's things would appear on your toilet. More than once, after urinating, we would get solid waste in our toilet! Once there was even a semi-diggested piece of lettuce. Disgusting, disgusting! When I told the manager (owner, perhaps?) about this she insinuated I do not know how to flush a toilet "you have to press until the end" - oh, I can assure you I pressed and pressed and something things would become worse...

Another bad episode on the 2 nights we stayed happened when we were returning to the hotel at about midnight and found everything locked. We had to ring, knock and shout for about 20 minutes, even other guests woke up and came to their windows. Still, we were outside in the cold, where we could hang out with a drunk man who passed by and a homeless guy who chatted nicely with us. They finally answered the phone and came to open the door. The lady apologized saying that the receptionist didn't inform her we went out! What if you want to go out at around midnight? The door will be locked and there will be no one to open upon your return. If I want to experience a home stay, I will stay at someone's place - this is a hotel!

Location is not great. It is OK and I wouldn't mind it if the hotel was good, but for that same amount of money you get better right in the centre. Unless you like places that are a bit creepy... then suit yourself!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The staff was great and the rooms were very colorful and unique. The rooms were pretty cold though but the nice staff gave us portable space heaters for the room and placed a hot water bottle in out beds to warm up our feet. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas so it was close by. It was pretty safe to walk. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012
Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

You must keep in mind that Wifala is basicly an economic choice for sleeping in Cuzco. The rooms and the bathroom are tiny, the breakfast is poor and the location is out of main atractions. In the other hand, the wifi works perfectly, the reception is warm and helpful and everything is new and clean.
Be aware with taxis from the airport: they'll try to charge you 20 soles, but taxis out of the gate will ask 6 soles.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is definitely a gem. The staff was incredibly friendly. Our trip began with complimentary pick up from the airport. During my time in Cusco I experienced some high altitude illness and the staff definitely went out of their way to help make me feel more comfortable, including bringing me tea and helping us order in food when I didn't feel up to going out. The breakfast was good and was definitely filling. Similar to other reviews, it did get cold. However the down comforters and space heaters quickly resolved that! The hotel is a 5 to 10 minute walk to the plaza area. We felt comfortable walking during the day and night. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Cusco area as it offers a good location, value and is in a quiet area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Totally exceeded my expectation eventhough the taxi driver could not find it for 30 min and there was no heater in my room but they warm my bed with rubber water warmer. The lady of the house did everything for me...from arranging me the day tour and take me there, help me with laundry neatly folded when I get back, arrange me a taxi very early (5:30) in the morning for the airport with small hot breakfast. When I check out, she even gave me machu picchu pin for souvenior! She even walked me to the taxi and had a very warm good-bye. My first day breakfast probably one of the best I had in Cuzco- sliced/peeled tomatoes & avocadoes, fresh coffee ( not instant), fresh papaya & pineapple juice, scrambled eggs, and bread & jam/butter. It was totally worth it...

Room Tip: my Wifala room had not heater. Not sure about the other room..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Who has ever been in winter in Peru knows that especially the nights can be chilly. This hotel even includes a heating in every room !
Apart from this, the modern looks (everything is brand new and in a very fashionable style) made our stay really pleasant.
The hotel is in a quiet area next to a temple, near to both the airport and the city center, though not walking distance.
We had our dinner round the corner on the main street in a local chicken shop, which cost us for two mains, a salad, a bottle of beer and soft drinks 28 Soles (!)- the same price one bottle of beer would cost in Machupicchu.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wifala Thematic Hotel Boutique? Share your experiences!