“Service-focused, passionate and ethical = best trail company out there!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alpaca Expeditions - Day Tours

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 118 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Alpaca Expeditions is an experienced culture and adventure travel company that creates customized tours for travelers visiting Peru. We will work with you to create the trip of a lifetime, whether you dream of trekking through the Andes on a 4 day climb to the lost city of the Incas or conquering the heights of Macchu Picchu through the indulgence of a luxurious train, let us make all your dreams come true.
Toronto, Canada
“Service-focused, passionate and ethical = best trail company out there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This review is going to be short because, as I read through the previous reviews, I realized everything that makes this a great outfit has already been covered. From the overall dedication and concern of Raul the owner, to Ruben, our guide, the food being some of the best we ate in Peru, and the ethics of the company, providing its porters with distinctly the best footwear and clothing I saw of any company on the tour, the experience with Alpaca was simply the best I've had with any tour company anywhere in the world (I've been to more than 25 countries and tried at least 10 tour guides).

As this is a newer company, there were a couple of logistical issues but those were quickly ironed out and we received more than adequate compensation for any inconvenience to us.

I would not hesitate to recommend Alpaca Expeditions to family and friends.

Visited December 2012

“Magical place and interesting people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family and I went in a one and half day hike through the Andes mountains. It was a great experience. My kids learned a lot about the place and the Incas, who inhabited those lands. Our guide and crew were very attentive and treated us like family. Greatest tour ever!!!

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
“Wonderful Journey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I traveled with my wife and two kids (10 and 14). Amazing experience in the trek of Los Andes with fantastic home made food with our fantastic chef and all the crew. Our tour guy Sabino is a university professor of Los Incas history..... imagine a professor guiding you in Machu Pichu. Outstanding knowledge and personal treatment of our guide. Transportation on time everywhere (buses, train, everything). My kids lean a lot with this experience.... check our photo in the Christmas day trekking on the Alpaca website. Raul excellent administrator and communicator before and after the tour. 5 stars for Alpaca a journey will never forget!

Visited December 2012
istanbul
“Great service at an unbeatable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

After I sent emails to the tour companies that have highest ratings on TripAdvisor, I chosed Alpaca. The reasons were firstly, they gave me the best price ($50 less than the second lowest), and secondly, they adjusted everything according to my schedule.

I arrived Cusco on January 28th morning and took the day off to get used to the high altitude of the city (I'm coming from Lima). At 8:00 pm, Rolando and Abel came to my hotel for the orientation about the tour.

8 hours later, at 4:00 am, Abel took me from my hotel and with a brand new Toyota (all the cars here are very old and not in a good condition), I went to Ollantaytambo to catch the Expedition train at 06:10. After 1 hour and 40 minutes, I arrived the train station Ollanta.

The train ride to Aguas Calientes took 1 hour and 20 minutes, then I meet my guide Jose at the train station. We took the bus to Machu Picchu and by 08:10, we entered the site.

Jose is probably one of the best guides in the whole planet. His passion about his ancestors and culture is so strong that for 2.5 hours he tried to explain every single important event and story regarding Machu Picchu, Incas and Los Andes. I think he should be -at least- the Minister of Tourism, if not the president of Peru :)

At around 10:45 we went to the entrance of Waynapicchu. After registration process, we started climbing which -I guess- took around 1 hour and 45 minutes. Along the way, since I am not as fit as Jose, we had 5 breaks. When we made it to the top, we spent 10 minutes and got back to Waynapicchu in 30 minutes. Then we crossed Machu Picchu again and took the bus to Aguas Calientes. At 14:05, we were in a restaurant in the town and after lunch, we said "adios" because he had to catch his train at 14:55.

My train at 16:43 took me to Poroy at 20:10. When I arrived Abel was waiting for me with a plate that has my name on it. After 30 minutes, I arrived my hotel and this great day was finally over. (They offered taking me to the airport for the next day, though)

Thank you Raul, Bonnie, Rolando, Abel, Jose (the driver that took me to Ollantaytambo) and Jose, my guide and best friend for today, for making this day remarkable for me. I wish you all good luck with your business and send my warm welcome to the baby Jose Maria :)

Union City, California
“Sacred valley + Machu Picchu trip with Alpaca Expeditions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We did the Aplaca Expedition tour to Sacred valley and Machu Picchu. We had an amazing experience with the company.The guides were wonderful and everyone was super helpful. Bonnie always responded to emails within a day, there were a few instances where I felt that the folks at Alpaca went beyond my expectations:

- My husband left his jacket in the bus that went back to Cusco after dropping us at Ollyantatambo. We called Raul and asked him if he could get the jacket from the bus company. He told us not to worry about it and picked it up for us.

- When returning from Machu Picchu, our train was to arrive at 7:10 PM and we had a bus to Arequipa at 8:00 PM. The company sent a private car for us that took up straight to the bus stop so we could make it in time. Raul's brother was with us till we safely boarded our bus.

Overall, a very pleasant experience. I would highly recommend the company to anyone traveling to Machu Picchu.

Visited November 2012