“Great location - Small rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

You added JW Marriott El Convento Cusco to your Saves list
JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Esquina De La Calle Ruinas 432 y San Agustin, Cusco, Peru   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #7 of 147 Hotels in Cusco
“Great location - Small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel located in the city of Cusco. It used to be a monastery, the decor is very nice. Service is ok. It is also very well located, near the Plaza de Armas, walking distance to mayor attractions and restaurants. The only bad thing I could say about this hotel is that the rooms are small. Bathrooms are compact, I could barely fit in the shower. For the price they charge, I can not believe they do not include breakfast and internet, you have to pay extra for those.

Overall, I think is a very good hotel. I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest,

I am glad to know that you liked our decoration, location and our service. I feel sorry that our in room facilities did not fulfill your expectations but I do appreciate you still recommend us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services, they serve us an invaluable tool to improve in search of the excellence.

We hope to welcome you and your family in the near future.

Best regards,

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked this new hotel for a 5 night stay. This one time monastery is now an elegant Marriott hotel. There is a passageway underground (floor -1) with a TV running all the time that explains the history of the site, and there are some displays showing archeological findings. The hotel also has a historical tour at 6pm (I believe every evening). Now the Good, the Bad, and the Strange.
The Good:
Great location in the center of the old town.
Elegant entrance, lobby area (which includes dining room & bar), and courtyard area. The staff is genuinely kind and gracious. They are mostly a young staff and could use more training, but they are eager to please and do the best that they know how. The hotel security is also a paramedic and comes to your room to give you oxygen if you don't feel well. The oxygen instantly cured a bad headache our son was experiencing due to the altitude. There is an empty refrigerator in each room for personal use. Rooms have wood floors for easy mopping, and housekeeping does a great job. Of course, there are the standard robes and slippers, expensive laundry service, and room service. Good food and drinks at the restaurant and bar, with excellent service at both. But they are pricey compared to other good restaurants and bars in Cusco so they are not very busy. If you have elite status with Marriott, you have free internet in the room. Everyone has free WiFi in the common areas for 4 hrs a day. There is a spa with a great shower, steam room and sauna.
The Bad:
The sheets are flannel!! Not even a good quality flannel, but the kind that has pills all over it. These sheets were rough and scratchy. All the pillows were a cheap kind of fiberfill (no feather pillows).  The mattresses were quite hard. Generally not a comfortable bed.
Since this is a category 6 Marriott property, and has only been opened for 8 months, we expected much nicer bathrooms. The tubs are small and narrow and the shower box is ordinary. The spa has a great shower (sprays from every angle) and this is what should be in all the rooms.
The woman the runs the spa does not refill the  juice pitcher. The spa is also not very busy, but when the juice pitcher runs out she just says, "There's no more juice". Really? No more juice at the JW Marriott hotel?
The Strange:
The deepest end of the pool is 3ft 11in. No kidding! The Jacuzzi is also ridiculously shallow. When an average size person sits in this Jacuzzi it is only about waist deep. It seems these were designed for the average height of a true blood Cusco local, and they did not take into consideration the people that would actually be staying at this hotel. My husband is 6'5' so it was really funny for him!  If you do not have Elite status you must pay for the internet in the room by MB's (1 MB $10, 3MB $22).
Knowing all that I know, I would recommend staying at this hotel. I think they just need some fine tuning. If the manager reads the reviews he should start working on improving some of the problems that exist. Most are quick fixes that would make lots of people much happier with their stays.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room facing the Courtyard, preferably one with a door. We booked one of these rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for the time you have taken to leave your comments on Trip Advisor, your opinion is an important tool that allows us to improve different aspects not only in the service but also on the product we want to give.

Please allow me to answer some of the aspects of your review. I would like to start thanking you for appreciating our historical side; we are settled in the former Augustines Convent but during excavations we found Pre-Inca and Inca vestiges that now are being exhibited in two exhibition rooms.

Thank you for appreciating our good taste in decoration, the staff service with local charm, they always give their best trying to learn on each guest interaction, form our side we keep training them showing them the tools they have to be the best in their position. Our security team is formed by well skilled professionals; prepared to save lives if necessary, please accept my appreciation for standing out our housekeeping job as well as service provided at restaurant.

I apologize for the lack of comfort of our beds and bedding, we are planning to change them soon and also I feel sorry that the bathroom was not of your liking. Concerning the spa service I am deeply sorry if the service was not given correctly and in accordance to our standards we have taken action so this kind of incident do not happened again.

Regarding the spa facilities, I would like to explain that in the spa we have a relaxation heated pool to distend and relax, it is not for long swim or diving, the whirlpool is small because it was designed as a cozy space.

Finally I would like to thank you once again for sharing your opinion and point of view I believe that feedback is a great tool to achieve excellence. I hope you and your family can honor us with your visit again and see our improvements.

Warm Regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

First, I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year. This hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. The property, the service and the rooms were exceptional. There was a beautiful energy in the place and displayed by the staff. Luis, Milagros and Hiromi deserve specific mention.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on the Trip Advisor I do appreciate the time you took to give us your opinion.

It is an honor to know that a traveler like you who spends many nights a year staying in hotels consider us as one of the best you have ever stayed in, that our service and facilities have exceeded your expectations, our daily objective is to transform a stay in an unforgettable experience while visiting Cusco.

Thank you for mentioning our associates Luis, Milagros and Hiromi, I have extended them your words of appreciation in the same way I have congratulated them.

We hope you can visit us again it will be a pleasure to welcome you again in the Imperial City of Cusco.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Everything about this hotel is perfect and only being open for 8 months now everything is clean and new. They have excellent customer service and great amenities. If you suffer from altitude sickness you can even get oxygen in your room. They rooms are decorated nicely and try and get a view of the Plaza or one of the few terrace suites. I really enjoyed sitting on the terrace after night out in Cusco. The hotel is located in a great location being just a couple blocks from the Plaza which is the city center. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Cusco.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us, I very much appreciate your feedback giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.

I am pleased to know that your experience was so satisfactory and thank you for your praises on the service we deliver despite our few months opened. As a new hotel we tried to think in details to impress our guests but still give a wholehearted service. Thank you very much for describing us as a 5 diamond hotel that is an honor for us. I am glad also that you appreciate our amenities, rooms and location, as you mentioned oxygen supply is available in all rooms this is a very convenient advantage to relieve the altitude sickness symptoms.

I would like to thank the fact that you recommend us to all travelers coming to Cusco, please accept my sincere appreciation for your gesture.

Thank you once again for your comments, I would be delighted to welcome you and your friends in the future.

Merced, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have been to Cuzco 4 times and by far this was the best place, very good location, excellent service, very clean and comfortable, exceeded my expectations. I would recommend it to anyone.
3 blocks from the main plaza and churches, also good restaurants are at walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. It is very important for us to know your opinion and point of view.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could exceed your expectations considering that you are a connoisseur of this beautiful city, it is an honor for me and my team to be consider as the best place for you and that you even recommend us, I really appreciate that gesture.

We look forward to have you once again in this magical city and obviously staying with us so that we can have another chance to delight you.

Warm regards,

Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here and we were completely satisfied with all this hotel had to offer. The hotel itself is a renovated convent and you can expect a spacious room with all you need for a great stay, including the most important element, a comfortable bed :-))) We ate at the hotel Restaraunt the last night and it was very good with a nice relaxing atmosphere. The hotel is situated perfectly so you can walk to Plaza de Armas and shopping and their are many Restaraunt's and bars close buy to savor some of the local night life. The lobby is stunning and I have to say, the coca tea on arrival is nice. Nothing bad to say about this hotel at all, so it gets a top drawer rating from us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your fervent comments through the Trip Advisor website. I am thrilled to know that we were able to go beyond and exceed your expectations regarding the service, atmosphere and our facilities.

It is rewarding for me to know that you liked our colonial patio that belonged to the Augustines’ convent in the 16th century. Our rooms are very comfortable equipped with all a guest may need and as you remarked the beds are the most important element in room and they are a refuge to end up the day.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed dinning at Pirqa Restaurant and thank you for appreciating the small details we offer, like coca tea upon arrival.

Sincerely, I appreciate your preference and the comments left, I hope to welcome you and your couple in the near future.

Best regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights in the Cusco Marriott. Since the stay was split with a trip to Machu Picchu we were able to try 2 different rooms, an Inca wall room and a standard room. Both were comfortable and had the same furnishings. I would not recommend upgrading to the Inca wall room. Essentially we paid an extra $60 a night for a room that was two levels down and had a large glass window looking at a wall. This created a dark room with little ambient light.

The highlights of the hotel are the location and the service. As other reviewers have said, it is very centrally located and an easy walk to all of the main attractions in the area. The staff was great throughout. When we left for 2 days they happily kept our suitcases and I was extremely impressed with the process of 're-checking' into the hotel. They were the only hotel during our stay that kept our information and had everything ready when it was time to check in the 2nd time. Finally, the room service food was great. We tried a few different items and all were very tasty.

Room Tip: Skip the Inca Wall rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I would like to thank the time you have taken to leave your comments on Trip Advisor, your opinion allow us to improve different aspects not only in the service but also on the product we are willing to give.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Inca wall rooms, I am really sorry that they did not met your expectations nevertheless this walls were part of an exhaustive restoration process of the Inca heritage.

I feel extremely pleased to know that you consider our location a great asset, that during your stay you enjoyed room service variety and moreover that the staff service has exceeded your expectations, they are always eager to help our guests making their stay easy and caring of every detail so that you can lay back and enjoy your trip.

Thank you once again for your review, I hope we have the honor to welcome you in the near future.

JW Marriott Cusco

Been to JW Marriott El Convento Cusco? Share your experiences!