“Flawed Hotel With Some Redeeming Qualities” 2 of 5 stars

Santa Maria Hostal
Calle Santa Catalina Angosta 158, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #58 of 256 Cusco B&B and Inns
Utah
“Flawed Hotel With Some Redeeming Qualities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed at this hotel as part of a youth group performing humanitarian service in the Cusco area, so I did not expect a five-star hotel. No shampoo, hairdryers, or other appliances provided in the rooms, but they do give you a small bar of soap and a clean towel every day. Although the rooms do not have an irons, the front desk will lend you an iron if you request it.

In our room, the bathroom did not have any electrical outlets, and there was only one outlet in the bedroom. To dry and curl her hair, my wife had to sit on a chair in the bedroom, open the bathroom door, and try to look in the bathroom mirror from across the bedroom.

The showers had hot water most of the time. A breakfast is provided each morning that consists of orange juice, bread, and eggs.

No beds larger than a twin bed were available, so my wife and I stayed in a room with two twins beds until the last evening, when we were offered a double bed.

Laundry service is available through the front desk. During my stay they charged 5 soles per kilo and returned the laundry folded by 7 pm each night. The front staff was very friendly and helpful.

The key situation was odd. They issue you a room key attached to a large wooden board that is inconvenient to carry around. They ask that you turn in the key when you exit the hotel and ask for it again as your re-enter.

The hotel location is very close to the center of Cusco, so the hotel gets high marks in this area.

Someone in our group spotted cockroaches one day, but I never saw any. My wife was bitten by something during the night a couple of times and she saw a flew jump off her sock one morning. However, as we were working in poorer areas around Cusco, it is possible that the bites/flea were something we dragged into the hotel ourselves.

I brought my own pillow, which was fortunate as the pillow provided was small and inadequate. The bed was too short for me and my legs hung off the end of the bed. The blankets were too short for the bed, so they only came up to my chest.

Overall, the room was well below my normal standard for a hotel room, but in light of the humanitarian purpose of our trip it was acceptable during our stay. However, if I were traveling as a tourist I would not have stayed at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed in a nice room with a balcony facing the street. The room was clean and the bathroom was small but nice. The hostal is in a great location and the staff was friendly. For the price, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed for one week in September 2012. It was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They provided us with useful information on how to get around. We also wanted a car with driver to take us around the main sites in Cusco and it was arranged at an affordable price.
Our room was cleaned everyday and the hostel is very secure. The location is perfect, right next to Plaza de Armas. Breakfast included, affordable, nice showers and free coca tea available 24hours :-) I would highly recommend this to anyone staying in Cuzco. I will definitely stay there on my next trip!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

right across the street from a top-end hotel that charged 3x as much, i decided to move after one night.

the room is big, the shower is hot with very good pressure, everything is clean, and they gave me a heater and extra blankets as cusco is cold at night.

staff is incredibly nice!! speaks great english and couldn't be more friendly and helpful.

the only thing to complain about is breakfast, which just skip it, and go get something for 10/S (4USD) down the street. the bfast at the nicer hotel was barely acceptable enough to make me not go down the street anyway.

overall awesome for the very low price. if they fix the bfast and have slightly more decoration, they can charge 2x as much for being right on plaza de armas!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stayed one week in November (low season for tourism) and the price was really affordable in comparison with other places that were way too expensive. It has cable TV, phone in the room, wireless internet, breakfast included and free mate de coca. Enough for me!. And, quite important, just half a block from Plaza de Armas. Just I have to wait for a while to get hot water

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
U.S.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed in Hostal Santa Maria for a week in Cusco for work. Upon checking in the staff was not very helpful or friendly. They eventually warmed up to me during the week. I had a single room in the internal part of the hotel. The room was HUGE with beautiful wood floors that were very creaky. The room contained a small TV with cable. The bathroom was also super big with nice tile. As the other reviewer said, there is no place in the bathroom to store anything. There was plenty of hot water.

Internet is available in the common areas and worked fairly well. Breakfast was a huge disappointment. The rules were very strict to have 1 glass of papaya juice, 1 cup of coffee or tea, two roles of bread, butter and jam. Coca tea was available at the reception, but there were no cups.

When the hotel was full it was very noisy at night with staff and guests watching TV in common areas.

My single room was reasonably priced and the hotel was easy to find in the city when I got lost due to the proximity of the dome of the Santa Catalina catedral, which is next door. There is a great view of the dome from the 2nd floor common area.

Room Tip: My room was quiet at the end of the hall on the second floor and not facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

This is a basic but ok hotel. Don't expect much. Beds are comfortable. TVs in the rooms. Big, clean (but not modern) bathrooms.

Two complaints:
-Walls were thin. Heard someone's TV down the hall at 3am. To the hotels' credit, we called the front desk to tell him and heard him come up IMMEDIATELY to take care of it. Much appreciated.
-Bathrooms need hooks, shelves, and toilet paper holders. There is nowhere to set anything! Need a small, simple shelf or something please!

All in all, an ok hotel for a budget backpacker that is downtown. I'd stay again if I were heading back to Cusco.

Room Tip: Choose one in a quiet zone (end of a hall or away from street)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Maria Hostal? Share your experiences!