“One of the best things I have ever experienced!” 5 of 5 stars

+0051 084 242874
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Salkantay proximity to Machu Picchu makes trekking around it an attractive alternative to the oversubscribed Inca Trail. There are three possible routes starting from Mollepata. All three begin with a day of approach, heading north along a dirt road. Then they diverge. The longest route, heads north to the base of the mountain, then turns right, following the east side of the mountain, then heads northeast to eventually join the Inca Trail itself at Wayllabamba. This route takes 4 days to reach the Inca Trail, then another 2 days to reach Machu Picchu. The most common route used by trekking companies heads north, then west around the west side of the mountain, over Salcantay Pass at 4600m. It continues as far as the village of La Playa, where buses usually make the connection to Santa Teresa. From here, trekkers walk to the Hydroelectric project then either train or walk to Aguas Calientes, at the base of Machu Picchu. This route takes 4 days in total. A more satisfying variation on this route turns right before reaching La Playa, over a ridge and arriving directly at Aguas Calientes two days later. This route takes 6 days in total.
5 attraction reviews
“One of the best things I have ever experienced!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

When I started to plan my vacation in Peru I knew that I wanted to trek-and not the touristy Inca Trail. So I found out about Choquequirao zo Machu Picchu. I contacted Rider and booked this trek. Luckyly there was Kristina joining me for the 8 days.
It is a hard bit of exercise/work out-you may get to your physical and mental limits, while walking down one mountain and climbing the next one the same day. We walked up to 9 hours, and as I said, its not easy going... But once your reach a peak you just feel great. Dont forget about the altitude-up to 4650m... The scenery is just amazing and unforgettable. Also you see to of the most important Inca sights: Choququirao and Machu Picchu
So now about the staff: Samuel was our guide. He comes from the Choquequirao area-we even eat at his families village and yould see more of the Cechua peoples life. He knows everything about his culture and ancestors, which gives you a very personal touch. He alsways was motivating us when we were very exhausted from the clims. In critical moments (heavy rain, landslides...)he reacts responsible and leaded the hole team safly.
Isauro, the Chef, is maybe the most important person-not that he cooks as you may think your in heaven (a soup and 4 dishes every lunch and dinner, eaven at 4100m!)- he is also up earlier than us to do the cooking/dishwashing.. Once we were eating, he already broke down the tents so and packed the horses together with the horseman. At night he was the last to sleep, as he had to check everything, before sleeping in his kitchen tent.
We had several horseman-4horses for 2 passangers!! One was Sams brother. These guys also work very hard, as the also help the Chef! Sometimes I felt very bad as they were working so hard - we were king and two princessis...
I also learned a lot about Peruvian peoples life.

I would warmly recommend Bioandean for these kind of treks as they are really professionals!
Kristina and I already plan a 15 day trek with them;-)

Visited November 2013

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Fantastic trek that keeps amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had a fantastic trek with jimmy-jhon, mr. Delisious (the cook, who does his name honour, cooking meals i couldn't even make on my stove at home! ) and pedro. The trail is heavy at times but well worth every step! Jimmy-jhon made great efforts to give us a the best experience we could get. Where many tour groups tend to be walking next to the car road, jimmy took the senic inca trails minimizing the amount of other tourists we saw. Also we did not stay on the crowded camping sites but in private areas just a little further.

If you have the time, find bioandean in cuzco and take this trip. You will not be disappointed!

Visited October 2013
18 attraction reviews
“Good and cheap alternative to reach Macchu Pitchu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Day Trip to Macchu Pitchu are a rip off. Inca Trail is super expensive. If you are a backpacker on a budget you should consider Salkantay trek to reach Macchu Pitchu.
The trek is demanding due to its duration but you have options (such as horses) to make it easier.
You will get to Machu Pitchu on the last through the main gates though not the Sun Gate like Inca Trail. However with a price factor inferior to 0.5 compared to INCA trail for the same duration and close to 1 compared to day trips, it is really a nice alternative. Plus you will get to pass close to the magnificient Salkantay summit though the Salkantay pass at 4600m !!
All Cuzco's agencies are proposing this trek!

Visited August 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Salkantay Trek with Bioandean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This company was great, you pay a little bit more than all the people on the street will offer you but it is well worth it. Our guide, Juan, was the best and was full of energy, knowledge, and jokes to keep everyone in good spirits, he was the best guide on the trail. Our chef, Pacolo, made some of the best food we had in Peru, we even got him to make Guinea pig. The trek itself is stunning, it tough don't get me wrong, but the views and the diversity of the landscape are awesome. I recommend this company of all the companies we talked to this one seemed the most genuine and reliable.

Visited May 2013
Sea Girt, New Jersey, United States
“Amazing Salkantay Trek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I knew when I was coming to Peru that I wanted to make a trek to Manchu Pichu. When I booke my airline tickets back in March I also looked at the IncaTrail availability. The trail, which is regulated by the government as far as how many people can be on it, was sold out until October. I started looking at alternate treks and then came across this one on Trip Advisor and I was so happy I did.

The trek was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever been on and most of that was thanks to my guide Antony, chef Timoteo, and horseman Oswaldo. You need to request these guys. Antony was not only a really nice guy but a real professional. He shared with us information on the Incas and the quechua people, pointed out different plants and items while trekking, and was a consumate professional. You could tell that he really enjoyed his job. Timoteo made amazing food the whole trip. YOU WILL NOT GO HUNGRY. I was so impressed by what this man could do with a camp kitchen and imagination (he needs to put out a cookbook).

The trek was one of the best experiences of my life. You will be completely amazed when you get to the pass of Salkantay and even more amazed when you finally make it to Manchu Pichu.

Here are a few things I suggest: Bring layers, it is pretty cold the first and second day, but then it is fairly warm for the rest of the trek. Bring some light snacks, although Timoteo provided us with snacks every day. Rent the walking poles, they will be a great help. The first day will beat you up but after that it is really great. Prepare for altitude sickness by taking oxygen pills. There were a few people in other groups that had to go back after the first and second day and that would totally blow. Have a great time!

Visited July 2013