“Best dining of all South America” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 407 restaurants in Cusco
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: True 100% French traditional gourmet food and wine; perfect place for a romantic and/or special occasion meal; OPEN Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday 12:30-15:00 & 19:30-22:30 Closed Wednesday. We accept ONLY soles, dolars, euros and Visa; sorry NO MC, Amex nor Diners.
Sydney, Australia
“Best dining of all South America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I travelled through South America for the Christmas / New Years - Argentina, Peru and Brazil. This was the best dining of all the locations.

Food was amazing. I had the five course degustation and husband had a la carte. The foie gras was just heavenly and I thoroughly enjoyed the escargots. For an Australian, I found the food to be spot on for taste, presentation and portion size. Wonderful! Love the fresh produce and flavours in the food. Nespresso coffees served at the end of the meal and to top it off, Twinings Earl Grey tea, my favourite.

Service was just the right amount of attentiveness and care, wecloming and friendly. Great atmosphere. You almost forget about the hustle and bustle outside.

The location was super close to where I was staying. The decor, classy and minimalistic, yet still retaining the French fan fare. Love the giant image of the bridge over the Seine river, made me remininsce of my Euro holiday a few years back.

This restaurant should definitely be on the to do list for any foodies or those wanting a memorable dining experience and travelling to Cusco. Your tastebuds will be delighted.

• Visited January 2013
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear SLL,

Great to have your news! Hope your trip back to Australia was pleasant.
Thank you so much for this great review you wrote about le Soleil. I feel that you were happy with the experience in our restaurant and our food and service met your expectatios; for us, happy customers like you and your husband, prove that our efforts go to right direction. I am so glad that you liked Nespresso and Earl Grey (my favorites too) at the end of your meal ;))
Thank you for your recommendation to others on TA.
As we said in Cusco: when you visit again Peru please stop by le Soleil and we will repeat the experience with more and news great food and wine.

My very best regards,

95% Recommend
Brighton, United Kingdom
“French fine dining imported to Cusco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Normally we, and I guess many others, try the local cuisine when travelling so experiencing French fining dining was not something we expected to be sampling during our 2 weeks in Cusco. The owner Arthur who runs front of house was very welcoming and took time to talk to us and other dinners, a touch that is often lost in other good restaurants. He obviously has a passion for the business and has to travel to France several times a year to stock up on important staples like snails and foie gras, you have to wonder at the conversation in customs?

We had the 5 course menu (one of these is a glass of Sauternes to accompany the foie gras in case you are counting?). Snails to start were standard bistro fare (we asked if they were Peruvian which was when we heard about the importing) served with plenty of herby, garlic butter. Foie gras was a round slice from a tin but good and well accompanied with decent salt and fruit compote.

The main was a stuffed duck neck, a good tasty dish that was beautifully prepared and presented. Dessert was a chocolate cake/pudding and star of the show, the high quality chocolate came through perfectly.

With the standard in the kitchen personally I would like to see French cooking with local ingredients, no need to import but I still really enjoyed the tastes of France. There is obviously a market and congratulations to Arthur for making it happen so far from home.

Cusco has many great restaurants and Peruvian food has a lot to offer but if you are yearning for fine French dining you won't go wrong at La Soleil.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear SmallBizOwner,

Nice to hear from you and thank you for your great comments about le Soleil.
We are happy that your "French" experience in Cusco was up to your expectations; we try hard to satisfy not only the highest standards of food and service but as well all our customers.
A part of Menu Luxe de France (de France = from France), which you had, we prepare all our food with local fresh ingrediens; this is why we have a degustation menu and all à la carte.
When you come next time to Cusco please stop by le Soleil so I will propose some French food cooked with local ingrediens.

My best regards,

Rochester NY
“Oh my...just fantastic!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

After a day walking around town looking at mystery meats at the market and dirty resturants I was seriously considering dinning from the mini bar. I am truly a diverse eater and we travel a lot but guinea pig is never going to be on my plate. We are staying at the Marriott which is awesome and this place is on the same block. It is spotless, bright in a good way, and the food is seriously one of the best meals I have ever had. The owner is kind , welcoming and hospitable! The food and service have been our best in 2 weeks of South America. We had the beef tar tar, ratatouille, duck and trout and 2 great desserts. I highly recommend!!!we may even come back tomorrow!!!!

marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you so much for your nice comment about le Soleil! It was a great pleasure to host you earlier this week and talk about food, wine, France, champagne and travel. As I said, moments like this are my bonus and I love to talk to my customers. Thank you for appreciating our food and service. I remember your smile and the comment of your husband eating the duck ;)) pure pleasure, at least for me. Thank you as well for leaving the idea to eat from your mini bar even if it was a great minibar at Marriott.
I hope the rest of your stay in Peru will be great and please come back if you have a chance to visit again Cusco.

My best reagrds,

Caracas, Distrito Federal, Venezuela
“France in Cusco!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I went to Perú with my girlfriend's family for 8 days, with the main goal of eating the best we could based on friend's recommendations and personal research. So we did that in Lima, Cusco and Aguas Calientes.

Le Soleil desserves without a doubt to be the #1 restaurant in Cusco. It truly is a piece of France in Perú. Starting with his kind owner Arthur (French of course), followed by a rich offer of French wines and a spectacular classic French cuisine menu.

When the owner of this type of restaurant is serving you wine, recommending food and smiling all the time, you start to get the feeling that you can't go wrong, always the best of signs.

Have to mention that we visited this restaurant 2 times out of 4 nights we were at Cusco, and only had 1 little problem in my 2nd nigh with a lamb course (cooking temperature and time was not proper), but Arthur was MORE than willing to make it up, and insisted not to charge us for this item, as well as the coffee. By the way, the first time we went I had this same lamb and it was totally exquisite: tender as warm butter, rich flavored and impeccably presented, so please, I still recommend it as you entree.

Every first course we had was amazing, but PLEASE get the steak tartar, it is perfectly balanced and presented.

Prices are very reasonable, not to mention that a dinner like this would cost three times more in big city in America & Europe.

Le Soleil is a bright spot in Cusco, if you want to travel to Europe for three hours and have a very nice experience, please visit Le Soleil.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Javier,

Thank you for you nice critic about le Soleil. It was a pleasure to host you and your familly two times. I was so happy to see your smile eating our food and exchange with you about the food and wine. We take as a great compliment the fact that you felt like in France ;)) Your great remarks (as a pro) will help us to do things better. Thanks for that.
I really hope that one day you come back to Cusco and visit us again.

My best regards to all of you!

Houston
“This was a surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The food at this relatively new restaurnat across from the Novotel (wouldn't you know it) was excellent, a little pricey, but really French (not a fusion restaurant). The maitre d'hotel and owner was very pleasant, efficient, and knowledgeable. We enjoyed the evening at his establishement.

Visited October 2012
marcinart, Owner at Le Soleil, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

A great thank you for your nice comment about le Soleil. It was a pleasure to serve you and be able to share with you our passion for French food and wine. Opinions of travellers like you contribute to a constant improvement of service and especially in Cusco.
I do hope one day we could serve you again, please do not hesitate to visit us when you are in Cusco.

Best regards,