“Great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Magico

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
Hostal Magico
You added Hostal Magico to your Saves list
534 Calle Fierro, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #101 of 276 Specialty Lodging in Cusco
Aarhus
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

It´s very cozy, the staff is great and it is very cheap. It is not far from the center and the San Pedro market. Sometimes there´s no water and the electricity doesn´t work, but it returns after some time. We recommend it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Quite far away from the main square. Inexpensive. Commun room and kitchen are great. You have to wash dishes outside though (not great during rain season!) Bathrooms could be cleaner at times. There was mould on my room's ceiling.... It still is a nice place to stay, but you might keep looking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a mouldy ceiling.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
La Paz, Bolivia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in Hostal Magico in Cusco for 3 nights,but just because we didn't have time to search for smth better. The place is way to expensive for its value, because the showers are very dirty and stinky, In fact,it was very difficult to have at least some kind of shower, because they managed to run out of water twice in these few days... The communal kitchen was scruffy so not inviting to cook at all. The staff was alright but most of the time when we asked them for any information,the answers weren't helpful and rather misleading. In the meantime, they do 'volunteering' for social projects which is a regular tourist rip off, because 'volunteers' still pay almost the same price as regular guests...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

As in many hostela around South America, hot water is a luxury and aun-dependent.. We stayed two nights and it was raining most of the time, so the maximum we got was a 10min shower.. But overall, this hostel is reeeally colorful incl. the beds and all the flowers in the garden..it is built to help a social project for kids in Cusco and they also own a nice restaurant down town for the same cause (a bit expensive, but definately worth it!!!).
Only downturn: the wooden floors in the rooms are EXTREMELY NOISY!!

• Stayed February 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

for a fair price, you have a comfortable bed, a nice common area and a good kitchen. the noise of the old wooden floor is a bit annoying when a new host arrives at dawn. the crew is amazing and helpful, and partners with a local social project

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at Hostal Magico for 11 days in October. Let me start by saying that a) I have never stayed at a hostel in my life and b) I was a bit older than the average guest (42). The reason I stayed at the hostel is because I know Yuri through a project I volunteer with. A group of us from Canada have travelled to the Cusco region for the past three years to look at educational projects for kids. Aldea Yanapay (the school that the hostel funds) is one of the projects that we contribute to.

I usually head down a couple of weeks in advance to attend Spanish school. In the past, I took my lessons in Lima. This year I decided that I would take my lessons in Cusco in the morning and volunteer at Yanapay in the afternoon for a couple of weeks. As I was volunteering at the school, I decided that I would try staying at the hostel as the revenue from the hostel helps fund the project.

I was a bit apprehensive when I arrived. My picture of a hostel was more of a big house with a bathroom at the end of the hall. This is a little more "outdoorsy" All the rooms lead to a court yard with bathrooms off off the courtyard as well. I was in a private room which was very comfortable. The room had a small kerosene heater in it. The staff fill a can up with the kerosene and leave it outside on your window sill for use in the evening. I used it about half the time I was there and found it sufficient to keep warm on the nights that I needed it.

The wi-fi was very good. There is a computer/TV room which is well equipped. The kitchen had the basic supplies and two fridges where you could store your food. I wasn't intending on "cooking" so I only used the fridge to store some fruit that I bought from the San Pedro market which was just down the hill. I found the bathrooms to be clean and I never had to wait and I always had hot water.

Each (week)day around 3:00, all of us volunteers would meet to walk over to Yanapay together. Once we were done we would head back to the hostel and hang out in the courtyard to visit. Yuri puts on a couple of events weekly at his restaurant (which also helps fund the school) for the volunteers. Tuesday is bingo/quiz night and they run a Friday night buffet. The restaurant is excellent!

I also liked the location of the hostel. It is not right in the center of the tourist zone (which is fine by me) but walkable to the square. The wonderful San Pedro market is at the bottom of the hill and across from the market is also a grocery store where you can buy wine, beer, snacks etc.

I met a lot of fantastic people (both staff and guests) when I was at Hostal Magico and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful the experience was at both the hostel and Yanapay. If you are looking for a truly rewarding trip, spend a week at the hostel while volunteering at Yanapay!

I loved "camping" at the hostel and can't wait to head back next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Orange County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were a group of 8 young extended family members and met other really nice young people in this place. There seemed to be endless supply of coca leaves in the kitchen that we could make hot drinks from. That was a great cultural treat that we could not do at home without going to prison. The kids had a wonderful time drinking this tea.

The computer/den was a nice cozy place to stay connected with friends back home and make new ones. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The place feels like a small, enclosed village with its own little courtyard and closed gate. On the second floor, you would see part of Cusco and the surrounding mountain.

It's takes about 10 minutes to walk to the square and is quiet at night. We got our peaceful sleep although the floor creaked when others go up and down the stairs. Overall it's a cozy authentic way to experience the friendly culture of Cusco.

We stayed in July 2011.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hostal Magico? Share your experiences!