My husband and I chose to stay at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza based on the great reviews we'd read on TripAdvisor, and the reviews were spot on. When we arrived at Cusco airport, a friendly gentleman was waiting for us with our name on a sign, and promptly put us in a taxi to the hotel (free transfer courtesy of Tierra Viva). The location can't be beat - less than a block off the Plaza de Armas, close to restaurants, shopping, etc. We arrived before check-in, but they had a room ready for us in less than an hour. We waited in the comfortable lobby area, where there was free wi-fi and hot coca tea to help us adjust to the altitude.
We stayed four nights, two on either side of a Machu Picchu trek (we highly recommend Alpaca Expeditions - awesome MP and Sacred Valley tours!!). Our first room was clean, quiet, and nicely decorated with wi-fi, flatscreen TV, plug-in heater, giant whirlpool tub, and "fancy" soap and lotion provided. Since the room was in the basement, there was no daylight, but it did have a one-way window into the interior courtyard. The room was a little small, but there was a closet and safe to store your bags. Plugs fit US and Euro plugs, so we didn't even need our adapter.
We were able to leave our bags at the hotel while we went to Machu Picchu, and they were waiting in our new room when we returned. We liked our second room better, on the second floor. The Peruvian decorations were beautiful and we had a small balcony above some shops on the back side of the hotel (potentially could be noisy but we were not bothered). There were two chairs and a small table... probably not big enough for two people to sit comfortably but really cute and nice to get some fresh air and sip coffee/tea in the morning. TV, wi-fi, desk, heater, and glass shower (no tub) in this room.
Overall, the service was excellent at Tierra Viva. Everyone was friendly, from the front desk to the kitchen and housekeeping staff. The free buffet breakfast was a nice perk... cereals, fruit, brewed coffee, tea, meat, eggs, etc. There were two computers available for guests to use, and we were also able to print boarding passes. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, and reception arranged a taxi to take us back to the airport (~ S/.10). We felt the hotel was a good value for the price we paid... much better than any place you'd find in a big US city.
Thank you Tierra Viva for an excellent stay! What a wonderful welcome to Peru... we hope to return the beautiful city of Cusco someday.
- Also Known As:
- Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza Hotel Cusco
- Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza owes its name to the nearby “Plaza de Armas” of Cuzco. It is located only 15 meters from the square via a cobblestone street which separates downtown from the beautiful colonial house in which this stunning hotel is located.Steeped in history, this colonial house once served as home to the family of the Spanish conqueror Francisco Pizarro.This beautiful historic building has 20 comfortable rooms and a rest area consisting of a dream patio with wood veneers, illuminated by a beautiful dome that captures the most beautiful sunrises of Cuzco offering magical nights of relaxation.Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza offers a place to rest, and is the ideal place to start and recover from the wonders of a day exploring the magical city of Cusco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.