“Wonderful trek with Cusco Native” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 341 Activities in Cusco
Type: Tours, Adventure
Rennes
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful trek with Cusco Native”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were looking for an alternative trek, few days around machu picchu.
After reading such positive feedback on tripadvisor, we decided to contact them and see what they had to offer.
Renato was immediately really helpful, flexible, great to help us to choose the best trek which fit with our expectations. Then we've choose the Huchuy Qosqo trek.
In Cusco the day before starting the trek, we've met Renato at his office with freddy our guide,
they gave us a briefing about what was going to be happening in those few days (what to bring, time of walk…)
Then during three days we've been hiking around ruins, wonderful landscapes. We couldn't have better guide than Freddy, patient, helpful, interesting and passionate, always some stories to tell about history, habits and customs, or just funny stories. What about food…just delicious, every day the chief and the horseman prepared differents healthy dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it's amazing how they can cook great food lost in the middle of nowhere … Both of them were really professional, efficient.
We've spent really great time with all of them.
Even the hotel that Renato chose for us in aguas calientes was nice, comfy, nice clean rooms,
really appreciate after tiring hike.

So, i would highly recommend Cusco Native for any travelers looking for a nice team who take care heatedly of everything from the beginning to the end. Thank you Cusco Native.

Visited August 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Salkantay Trek and Eric Adventures”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I took a trek trough Eric Adventures. Eric adventures was great, excellent customer service and will respond to any email even if sent a 2 in the morning and will go out of there way to make the trip a go for you. The Trek itself was beautiful. Just keep in mind that it is difficult. I would consider myself in pretty good shape and I found it to be a challenge. Make sure that your have good shoes, lots of water, and take your time to get used the the altitude. The good was great and the guide Rimiro was really nice (although he walked really fast). A great alternative to the Inca Trail

Visited October 2012
Trek C, Owner at Cusco Native Day Tours & Treks, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
We aren´t Eric adventure. Please remove this review from our list.

Thanks.

Renato Auca Fuentes.
Vincennes, Ile-de-France, France
“Great Huchuy Qosqo Trek!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My friend and I booked a Huchuy Qosqo Trek 2 Days+1 Day Machu Picchu with Cusco Native in August 2012. Before our arrival in Peru, Renato was very available to answer to our questions by email. The day before the beginning of our trek, we met Renato and Freddy, our guide, in their agency, to have a brief on our trip, advice on what we should bring or not. They also reassured us about the difficulties of the trek and told us that they will follow our rhythm.
On the first day, we walked for almost 10 hours at 4,000m. It was really challenging but Freddy encouraged us and let us have many breaks as we wanted. The landscapes were amazing (mountains, lakes…) and our guide taught us a lot of interesting things about the country and the Incas. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, Freddy likes that! The trek was very well-organized: we hired a porter to carry our clothes and a cook who prepared great and generous food. We were impressed by their speed to walk, cook and prepare our campsite! We spent the night next to the Huchuy Qosqo ruins. The 2nd day was less difficult but equally beautiful. We walked down the valley to finally get to Ollantaytambo, where we caught the train to Aguas Calientes. We spent the night at a hotel and woke up early to take the bus to Machu Picchu, still guided by Freddy. We explored Machu Picchu and also climbed Huayna Picchu. It was difficult, especially if you are not physically prepared but the view you have at the top of the mountain is worth your visit!

I would not hesitate to recommend Cusco Native. This trek was one of our best memories in Peru thanks to Renato and Freddy!

Visited August 2012
Santiago, Chile
“Machu Picchu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Renato Fuentes is my good friend in Cusco. He is very knowledgeable about Incas, Kechuas and about all possible tourist sites in Peru. He gave me good recommendations about transportation and accomodation in Cusco and in Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu. We had a nice evening in Cusco.

Visited September 2012
Denver
“5D/4N Salkantay Trek with Cusco-Native...Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We first came across Cusco-Native reviews here on Trip Advisor, and having read such postive feedback we decided to follow-up and see for ourselves what they had to offer. Our group has traveled extensively and participated in some pretty daunting backpacking trips in the past, so we were pretty well-clued into what we wanted from a respectable guiding service. I´m of course pleased to say that we weren´t disappointed in the least and had a fantastic experience with Cusco-Native.

Straight from the start Renato Fuentes was great about communications, trip details, and front loading us with proper expectations and logistical information. He and his company were more than willing to accomodate our interests and develop a flexible schedule that would allow our group to pursue all of its goals. Every question was answered in a timely and professional manner via email, and we were given a strong sense that Cusco-Native was committed to getting everything right.

Upon arriving in Cusco we met with Renato at his office a few blocks from the Plaza de las Armas (easy to walk by, so keep your eyes open for the small sign) and he gave us a full briefing on the trip first-hand which lasted roughly an hour. We were able to make arrangements to rent gear such as tents, sleeping pads, and sleeping bags at a good price as well. All of which were in good condition I might add. The following day we returned to the office to meet our guide, Nihomi, who further updated us on what was going to be happening. Honestly, I was impressed by the amount of time taken to get us oriented. Very well done.

We were also looking for a company that was locally owned and run, with qualified guides and employees that were not only competent but also well-treated. Anyone who does research on hiking the Inca Trail or almost anywhere else in the Andes will eventually hear a story of how the porters/guides are sometimes paid next to nothing, given little in the way of comfort, and are made to work under ridiculous circumstances. Laws are in place to prevent this in Peru, but it still happens sometimes. I´m more than happy to say, that with Cusco-Native the employees are treated very well and you feel like you´re part of a team out there on the trail. We had a lot of fun hanging out with Roger (our cook) and Mario (our horseman) in the evenings, and they were an enjoyable cast of characters. Again, two thumbs up here.

The quality of food was very good, with a different dish prepared for every dinner and lunches that kept you on your feet and feeling strong. I would say that the biggest issue with the food was having too much of it! Having worked in the DR Congo for several years I´ve unfortunately seen what poor sanitary conditions bush cooks can keep, so I´m always prepared for problems when it comes to others cooking for me with limited resources in the field. Needless to say, I was blown away by how clean and orderly the mess tent and cooking area were kept. Rogers was the most efficient bush cook I´ve ever seen.... simply incredible! The surprise that he baked for us on our last morning was also fabulous, best I don´t spoil it for any other potentail groups. It is worth mentioning though that you do always want to make sure that water boils for a bit longer at altitude in order for it to reach adequate ´kill the germ temps´. Our cook seemed to be very aware of this, so again, I was impressed.

Our guide, Nihomi, did a very nice job as well and was enjoyable company to have with us. She directed us professionally and had completed a four year degree for guiding in Peru, so was a strong source of knowledge for everything from trail conditions to Incan history. Again, she felt more like a leading member of the group rather than a hired guide. The only real thing I would say that could be stronger would be her Machu Picchu presentation when we arrived at the ruins. Not that it was bad, but I would rate it as average with room for improvement. Everything else, above average. Great job overall.

The logistics for arriving at the trail head and returning to Cusco from Aguas Calientes were all handled by Cusco-Native, all we had to do was pick the return time for the train. The guide gave us our tickets and explained the logistics, everything else seemed to be in place. As far as I´m concerned, it all worked out quite well. Our last day at Machu Picchu was a full one, as we elected to take the 6:45pm train back and this resulted in us arriving in Cusco at nearly 11pm. It´s not super ideal in terms of easy travel, but it gave us the time we wanted at Machu Picchu and Renato was more than willing to make sure this choice worked out for us. The only logistical complaint I really had was that we arrived in Aquas Calientes before our bags did (we made very good time), and since it was raining we only had our day packs and no dry change of clothes. Not really all that problematic, as we did have warm rooms to stay in upon arrival and the bags were only a few hours behind us. All in all, not too shabby for such a big trip.

The hotel that we were put up in for our night in Aguas Caliente was called the Imperial Machu Picchu and was wonderful. Not just saying that either because I was exhausted when I hit the pillow. Comfy beds, great hot water, nice clean rooms... a very nice note to end the trek on. Also, the hotel staff are almost too accommodating. They let us store all of our gear in a secure room while we visited MP and they gave us access to it when we needed it.

So I can safely say that I would not hesitate to recommend Renato and his company. On a whole we enjoyed the trip very much, and while nothing ever goes 100% to plan or is perfect, I thought they went above and beyond. Also remember that hiking and backpacking in the Andes is not a luxury sport (though some might wish it to be) and compared to what I´ve observed in other countries I think that they´re doing things right at this company. In fact, Renato personally came to our hostel the morning after our arrival back in Cusco to sit down and discuss how the trip went. Few companies care that much, this one does.

Visited September 2012