“Lovely looking hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 145 Hotels in Cusco
Perth, Australia
“Lovely looking hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Andean Wings was a great looking hotel in a very good location. The rooms were lovely and had everything we might need including goos wifi.Breakfast and free welcome drinks were good and the manager was very helpful. The only reason we did not give an excellent rating was that we had no hot water for showers in the morning. This could have been because they were about to close for renovations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Cusco, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay in Cusco. For those who want luxury but a very human touch this is the place. The restaurant has excellent food for reasonable pricing, and is located in the glass covered fountain adorned courtyard of this beautiful old house. Decor is very tasteful and beautiful. The bar has a fire place and is equipped with medicinal extracts for all ailments. The Massage, Tarot and other esoteric opportunities are very healthful and helpful. The personnel are really friendly and go out of their way to please, helping to arrange rooms how you want, providing a lamp or table etc. I recommend this to people who want a five star hotel but are tired of the normal Marriott style of five star.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I turned 50 two days ago and for this momentous occasion my husband and I and two other couples travelled to Peru to see the magnificent Machu Picchu. In order to get the most out of our trip we were advised to stay in Cusco to acclimatize which was great advice. We then had the serendipity to make our time in Cusco magical and here´s how you can too.

First, stay at Andean Wings, a fantastic little hotel that´s only been going 3 years and is family owned. It´s a gorgeous hotel, unique and homely. We stayed in the Illary suite (the best in my book) but if you are likely to be woken up by the bells from St Theresa´s church across the suite then stay in the Cuppucino suite which is at the back of the hotel (friends stayed there).

Second, and this is the crucial part, make sure you take time to get to know the fantastic Guest Relations Manger, Lisa. She is an absolute sweetheart, American, and a total bridge between the West and Peru. Lisa knows all there is to know about Peruvian culture, religion, history, sights etc. She took the time to understand what our interest were and set up very different private tours for ourselves and our friends. They were all perfect tours - interesting, well supported by great local english-speaking guides and very well priced compared to other providers. Lisa was also there to welcome us "home" at the end of the day and nothing was ever too much trouble to manage.

We stayed at the Andean for 9 nights and it was this wonderful blend of great hotel and great service that made my 50th and our trip so magical - that and of course Machu Picchu which is an absolute must and easily accessible from Cusco (a one night overnight stay at MP being the best way to go).

We could not recommend Andean Wings and Lisa´s expertise and caring highly enough. If you are going to go to Cusco, make this your home-away-from-home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lisa S, Guest Relations Manager at Andean Wings Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you - what a wonderful review! It was SUCH a pleasure having the six of you here! You did something different from many of our guests. You stayed quite a long time so you really got to dig in deep into Cusco – Peru has SO much to offer! All these years and there are new things to learn every day! Secondly, you left your itinerary open until you got here – so were able to manage your time as you wanted and we were able to share with you many of our secret places that aren’t in the guide books! It was an absolute joy having you – thanks again!
Ball Ground, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

As a solo female traveler, I could not be happier with my choice in Andean Wings. I spent 2 days there between trips to the Sacred Valley. Both times I felt so... SAFE and welcomed. The first 2 nights I stayed in the VERY special Illary suite. (I thought it said Mary suite because I didn't have my glasses on! oops!) Anyways.. YES I certainly did fill up that big bath tub and light the candles! It was a one of a kind experience. This room had a real city feel for sure, since I could hear the street noise, but it wasn't unpleaseant at all. Just.. "city". The bells of Iglesia de Santa Maria chiming at odd hours (I'm sure not to them tho!) were charming.

I left for 2 days to visit Ollantaytambo, and when I returned it LITERALLY felt like I was coming home. Even the doorman genuinally looked glad to see me... SO welcoming. Also, the guest relations manager, Lisa Sims was a DOLL. While I know that it is her job, I also can tell when someone is genuinely interested and caring and she was certainly that and more. And not just to me, she had a real interest in the well being of all of the guests that I saw her come into contact with. It was heart warming.

The decor was a little funky, and I loved it! The bar area with the fire at night was absolutely magical and a great place to make new friends from all over the world. PS- the Hot Chocolate.... O...M..G.. DO IT!

Also... location.. location.. location! I was a 10 minuite walk from Plaza de Armas and a 15 minute walk from San Pedro Mercado. I'd call that pretty darn perfect.

All said... this is my new home whenever I visit Cusco again... I don't need to even consider another hotel. VERY recommended! PPS- get a suite, even though they're not what Americans consider "suites" with muliple rooms, very worth it for the extra space and the jacuzzi tubs.

I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your wonderful and insightful review! You looked so " at home" here, snuggled in front of the fireplace in a big arm chair! We miss seeing your smiling face! Please come back soon!
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a fantastic stay at the Andean Wings Boutique Hotel. We would rank it #1 in every way one can measure -- service, food, friendliness, helpfulness. This hotel goes above and beyond. If you visit Cusco, you must stay at the Andean Wings.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 213. It was located on the second floor with a lovely balcony. We watched the fi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed four nights at the Andean Wings, 2 nights over New Year's and 2 nights after visiting Machu Picchu. Very convenient location. We were a party of 8 so sampled many of the rooms and they were all different and all delightful. Great beds, great showers. The public spaces are very pretty and comfortable. The free oxygen in the lobby was a god-send, esp. when I woke at 2:30 the first morning with a splitting headache from the altitude. And they give you free drinking water and coca tea. Also the oxygen canisters in the rooms are very helpful ($20, but worth it if you feel the altitude). The service was terrific -- we left some purchases in our room and they are sending it very promptly. I would rate the food as quite good. Overall I would strongly recommend this hotel for visiting the charming city of Cuzco.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night either side of hiking the Inca trail. Excellent hotel for couples and those looking for a little bit of luxury after Peruvian wilderness. Got upgraded to a suite free of charge. American customer service manager very attentive, even offers flavored oxygen bottles in case altitude takes its toll (!). Location is perfect, convenient but just far enough from Plaza de Armas for a quiet night. Building is very authentic. Small misunderstanding of the closing time of the hotel restaurant was the only trouble but otherwise faultless.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Andean Wings Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!