We recently stayed at El Tuco Hostel in Cusco Peru. The following are the reasons we loved it:
1. Friendly staff. The owner speaks Spanish and English. He could suggest places to go, where to catch a bus,etc. He also could inform us of Peruvian customs. Very interesting.
2. Convenient: An easy 10-15 minute walk to Plaza de Armas. Taxis are very easy to catch right in front of El Tuco.
3. We would use the kitchen to make our breakfast (you can pay a bit extra to have them make breakfast for you if you wish) and dinner. Thus saving time and money.
4. A market and grocery store was close by.
5. This hostel was filled with quiet, but very interesting guests from all over the world. We did not want to stay at a loud partying hostel so this one worked out perfectly.
6. People of all ages stay here.
7. HOT showers!!!
8. The owner, Coco, made us delicious Pisco Sours one evening.
9. Very clean.
10. They were very nice to us when it was necessary to check in at 2am due to our train/bus arrival time.
I would highly recommend this hostel and I hope I can return here someday. I would not look for any other place to stay in Cusco but El Tuco.
(along with daughter Anne Brooker)