“Perfect location, Wonderful Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Amerinka Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Marquez No 272, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #69 of 138 hotels in Cusco
Stockbridge, Georgia
“Perfect location, Wonderful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed here originally for their perfect central location on the San Francisco Plaza. We went back two more times in the same month because the hotel is impeccably clean, the service is above par, and the staff is wonderfully helpful and friendly. Our travel plans changed without notice, and the Amerinka was kind enough to maintain our reservations (without price change) and store our luggage until we could return. This is a boutique hotel, so it is unpretentious and service-oriented. There is a tea service in the main lobby which is just a brief introduction to the excellent services offered by this hotel. The prices are comparable, the rest of the experience is far above the standard for this city.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here before our trip to Machu Pichu. Cuzco is a very busy city with lots of polluting noisy vehicles. We were grateful that we were not in a hotel on a busy street, instead the Amerinka faces onto a sort of pedestrianised street. Its location is right in the middle of cuzco and it is an easy walk to most of the attractions in Cuzco.
Inside the hotel there was a delightful atmosphere and guests are welcomed with a special drink that is supposed to stop altitude sickness. We couldn't drink it! It was horrible tasting thankfully we did not get altitude sickness maybe smelling the drink helped!
The rooms are quite small and face an inner courtyard with lots of going on inside It overlooked a little cafe from the main square.
Strangely in the bathroom there was plenty of hot water in the shower but the sink did not have a hot water tap! The breakfast buffet was typical Peruvian with lots of bread and fruit. The hotel has computers where guests can access the internet free of charge.
The hotel was fairly quite whilst we were there and allowed us to leave our luggage unpacked (free of charge) in the room whilst we went to stay at another hotel close to Machu Pichu.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Nelson, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed here in September 2011 because we decided to stay an extra night in Cusco and the hotel we had been staying in was booked for the night. The hotel we stayed in previously, Hotel Encantada, was $100USD/night and was very nice! We found this hotel in downtown Cusco for the same price.
We arrived and check-in was okay. The lobby was fine, but not nearly the same quality/finishings as our last hotel. We were taken to our room, which was definitely not what we were expecting. The bed was old and covered with a stained comforter, but the bathroom was disgusting. The sink was very old, and when we tried to get ready for bed, there was NO WATER. My husband called down to the front desk and said, "Our room has no water". The front desk agent said, "Hold on", and hung up. We waited a few minutes & called back. The agent told us that they turned the water on for the room and it should be coming shortly. We waited another 15 minutes, and tried again. Still no water. My husband went down to the front desk and the agent insisted that he SEE that the water was not running. When he saw there was no running water, he explained that their water storage tank was low and it would just take a little while for the water to begin flowing again. Long story short, we didn't have water to get ready for bed nor did we have water for the shower in the morning.
As if the poor accommodations, lack of water, and bad service were not enough, we pulled the sheets down to find a spider in the bed! We killed the spider, and found another spider. What would attract a spider to a bed? Bugs. I am afraid to know what we slept on that night, but I hope no one else pays money to have the same experience.
The next morning, we requested a refund and/or discount. After hours of battling with the manager, we received a $10 discount. So it cost us $90 USD for a dirty room, poor service, and a room with no water.
All in all, this was a horrible place to stay, and I would not stay there again if it was free!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
BH/MG/Brasil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

nice place, great location, good staff , breakfast was simple but decent

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

The front of the hotel, hotel sign, and lobby look great. The location is unbeatable as well. Just 1 or 2 minutes for Plaza de Armas.

Judging from the hotel facase and lobby I expected great rooms. The rooms however are very basic. Nothing charming or unusual. Plain, clean, and just decorated and put together without much thought. Plain and unispiring is the best way to describe it

Another negative was that WiFi did not work in the rooms. Actually it did nt work in the lobby and computer area either. Not sure if that is the norm but it was frustrating

Breakfast selection was good and in line with what other hotels in Peru normally offer

The staff was veryyyyy nice, helpful, and accomodating

I think Cusco has many selecions of hotels and I would select another hotel if possible because I feel not much care or thought is given to the rooms and services here. If no other choices then this hotel would suffice

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Things didn't get off to the best start here when the transfer from the train station that I had pre-arranged with the hotel didn't show up, then they seemed to have no record of my room booking either when I did finally make it to the hotel. In fairness they gave me a discount off the room rate when I checked out to compensate. The staff were, on the whole, very friendly and helpful, the location was really good, just off the Plaza de Armas, the hotel looked quite plush and my room was warm and comfortable, with an extra heater to fend off those chilly Cusco nights. However a few things about the room weren't great - the rug on the floor was absolutely covered in hair and dirt, which unfortunately transferred into my bed via my feet! I swapped to a different room on my 2nd day and the rug in there was filthy too, so maybe they need a better vacuum cleaner. The rooms had internal facing windows, overlooking the corridor and stairwell, plus a large glass pane above the door with no curtain or blind so the room got really light very early in the morning, which wasn't ideal. In the first room the bathroom had a really bad layout, the toilet and sink were crammed togther in a tiny space so you were pretty much sitting underneath the sink when using the toilet, yet the huge shower could comfortably have fitted about 15 people in it! Very strange. The bathroom in the 2nd room had a better layout. I moved rooms because the TV in the first room didn't work and there was some important sport that I wanted to catch on TV on the 2nd day, but having moving rooms, the TV in the 2nd room didn't work either! The breakfast was ok, though the dining room looked like it was laid out for a huge breakfast buffet, with loads of plates, glasses, hot plates, pancake frying plates, toaster etc, but none had any food on them on either day that I was there, instead I was just brought a couple of small plates of a selection of cold food. I was also offered eggs though unfortunately I don't eat them. From the dining room you looked down a large open stairwell to the ground floor which seemed to be some sort of abandoned shpping centre, with closed up empty shops and equipment lying around. I didn't see any other guests the whole time I was there except for 7am on the Sunday morning when a large group of people who seemed to have just arrived were arguing with a hotel employee about room prices right outside my room. This was very loud and woke me up, going on for some time, which didn't seem particularly thoughtful of the hotel employee who should have moved the discussion away from guests' rooms. So generally I didn't have a great experience here, especially considering the price, though they had a comments book at reception that was full of glowing reviews from other guests, so maybe it was just me....great location though!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had been staying at the grossest hostel in Cusco and were on the lookout for something affordable, yet clean. The Amerinka was the first place we walked into and upon taking a look at the place, booked right away! The room was on par with your average hotel and only $65/night. Hot water, clean sheets, friendly service, free internet and a decent continental breakfast (fresh squeezed fruit juices, eggs, toast, cheeses, fresh fruit, coffee tea).

We enjoyed our stay so much we booked for our return to Cusco after the Inca Trail. When we set off, they sent us off with a bagged lunch! The staff kindly stored our luggage while we hiked, and when we came back, everyone remembered our names and placed us in a nicer room at no extra cost! Fran (desk staff) and Robinson, the general manager made us feel right at home. When we needed to make a change to a flight, Robinson very kindly called the airline for us as our Spanish is not so good. All in all, very good experience! Nothing fancy, but affordable, clean and welcoming. Will be back our next trip for sure!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Amerinka Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!