“very friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 257 Cusco B&B and Inns
mountain view, ca
“very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Rosa and all the staff were very warm and helpful, arranging a private taxi for the Sacred Valley, giving restaurant recommendations, and helping with making local phone calls. But keep in mind staff doesn't speak much English but I found it fun to practice my broken Spanish. Value is pretty good for Cusco.

A little bit out of city center-- advantage is it seems quieter than those in the city center, but disadvantage is it's about a 10 minute walk to city center. Walls can be thin if you get a loud group next to your room (as we did for one of the nights we were there). Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable, with local charm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

This is a good mid range locally owned and run option in cusco- the rooms are clean and during our stay we found the staff to be exceptionally helpful. Ordering a taxi, finding out about buses times, getting general information- the staff were only too happy to help. We were able to leave our bags, even when we were staying outside of cusco. It is also in a very safe location and close to all amenities.

• Stayed August 2012
Cessy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed with our two children in this hotel. The room was very quiet (which is not easy to find in Cusco), clean and big. We feeled very welcome and received lots of helpful information. Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here as part of our Intrepid tour, before and after a trek. The staff were very friendly and helpful (despite speaking no English), and our room was clean and spacious. THe downside was that it was very cold, and quite dark (with no window). However, there were plenty of blankets and the shower was wonderfully hot. My firat gripe was that our room reservation (via hotel bookings.com) hadn't been received - while this may well not have been their fault it was frustrating to lose the deposit we'd paid. And secondly, charging an extra dollar for eggs at breakfast (when otherwise it was just dry bread and jam) seemed churlish when we were paying 55 dollars a night. The location was good - approx 15mins to the main square, but passing lots of shops, sights and a market en route. And Cusco is definitely worth a couple of days stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Let me tell you that this place is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed at, while the prices are very reasonable! The staff are all very attentive to your needs, and the owner (Rosa Luz) will go out of the way to help you with anything you need. For example I got sick when I first got to Cusco from Lima, and she was there to help me arrange doctors' visits and whatever else I needed, she was also able to help me book a last minute trip to Machu Picchu which usually isn't very easy to attain or cheap. But I must add that at any hour of the day you can take a nice long hot shower which believe it or not is actually very hard to find in Cusco. The room/bathroom itself was nice, clean and spacious while the bed was a comfortable size and very warm which is key during July (their winter). They also offer wifi which is great and convenient, and laundry service for extra charge (very reasonable prices). Not to forget the complementary breakfast that they offer from 6-9am which will hold you over till lunch, and the wonderful coca tea they offer for the altitude sickness is great! Overall, I would say that La Posada del Abuela is a great steal, with a great attentive kind staff who will bend over backwards to make you feel at home!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel is a fantastic bang for the buck establishment. Rosa Luz and the staff were extremely helpful. On a past visit to Cusco, I stayed at a hotel very nearby that was twice as much and I preferred La Posada del Abuelo. I was permitted to stay awhile longer in my room after checkout as I had some work to do prior to my departure. The breakfast, while not deluxe, had hot coffee, tea, cereal, rolls, butter, jam, cereal and milk. I was asked, and accepted, the offer of fresh scrambled eggs in the mornings; a nice touch. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable and the facility was clean and well kept. The courtyard with comfortable chairs was great for catching up on work using the WiFi which I found to be reliable during my visit. Rosa Luz also helped me out when I needed to make a last minute change to my transportation requirements by immediately arranging a taxi for a four hour drive with only thirty minutes notice! I came back to the hotel and my bags were loaded in the taxi and ready to go! I would definitely stay there again when I return.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was a pleasant place to stay in Cusco. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were there during the festival of Inti Raymi. The parade of costumed dancers filed past our hotel our first morning in Peru. That was amazing! We stayed here before departing on a 4 day Inca Trail hike with Wayki Trek which is conveniently located just a few blocks from this hotel. The hotel is only a short walk from the Plaza des Armas as well. We highly recommend the La Mozzarella restaurant which is located nearby as well. Fabricio gave us coca tea and a prescription for pills to help with our altitude sickness. The only downside of our experience was that our room was fairly cold upon arrival, and we had to pay for a heater ourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Posada Del Abuelo? Share your experiences!