“The best food we had in Peru” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 424 Restaurants in Cusco
Cuisines: Peruvian
Somerville, Massachusetts
“The best food we had in Peru”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

MAP Cafe is outstanding. For starters, the space is beautiful - a glass box in the square inside the MAP. The food was amazingly good - far better than what we have had a travels to major cities in the U.S. I would save my pennies to go here as often as possible...if only they were in San Francisco. The service was perfect. It is a really beautiful and unique space. It is expensive, but definitely worth it!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Denver, Colorado
“3 course meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We splurged on a 3 course meal at MAP cafe. It was expensive by Peru standards, but typical of a nice meal in the US. We hadn't made reservations (and should have), but they accomodated us. The food was amazing! Between the two of us, some of the memorable dishes were: the Capchi de setas- white wine bae, andean mushrooms, fava beans, potatoes, cheese, and a puff pastry; Andean squash gnocchi with shrimp; Quinua Canelones with truffle essence; warm chocolate truffles; nd suspiro Limeno- deconstructed brulee with strawberries and port infused ice cream. The dessert was out of this world, even though we were so stuffed that we could only eat a couple of bites.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Terrific restaurant in an interesting setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Set in a glass sided structure within the courtyard of the Museo Inca this restaurant was recommended to us by our tour guide. It did not disappoint with interesting modern Peruvian style food beautifully presented and served by friendly and helpful staff. We were first given the set price three course menu but when we informed the staff that we had just arrived in Cusco and that we were still acclimatising to the altitude and could not eat a large meal, we were able to order a la carte. My daughter was not feeling well and ended up lying down on the bench seating most of the night but this did not phase the staff in any way. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Stay away if you're a solo traveler, or appreciate civility”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I came in for lunch on a Friday, and after I was seated, someone else came to tell me that all of their tables were already reserved (most of them were empty at that time, and I had been told I could sit at either of two empty tables). So, after reading about MAP Cafe and looking forward to trying several dishes from their online menu, I had to leave. On my way out, I overheard the guy who kicked me out telling the waiter that they only seat at least 2 people.

I've dined on my own in fine restaurants all around the world, and I have never before been turned away. And the irony is that I'm traveling in Peru with my boyfriend. He's recovering from food poisoning, so if I'd liked it on my own, I would have come back with him for another meal when he's better. Now, instead, I'm telling people to stay away.

Visited December 2012
San Francisco
“Great meal with after hours museum access”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This marvelous restaurant is something like a terrarium in the courtyard of the Museum of Pre-Columbian Art (abbreviated as "MAP" in Spanish). The museum itself has an excellent collection of well-preserved Peruvian antiquities, and diners have access to the galleries. The tables are carefully laid out with white linen. The wait staff are attentive and friendly. The clientele is typically norteamericano, with loud voices discussing tips on world travel destinations. The food is the star of this restaurant, a modern take on Peruvian classics. The chef tends to focus on local ingredients, but there is seafood as well. The menu is presented as prix fixe, 3 courses, but for a small fee (15 soles per person at my visit) it was possible to order a la carte. Turned out that this was the more economical option: with 2 courses plus drinks, my meal was less than the set price. As for that, be warned that this is not for the budget traveler; there are less expensive restaurants with excellent food in Cusco. But the food at MAP Cafe is close to great, so it's worth the price and a relative bargain for those accustomed to dining in major US and European cities. So treat yourself. But, except for the cuisine, expect to feel as if you are in a restaurant in New York or San Francisco due to the clientele. Best to clear one's mind of such things by browsing the museum collection after coffee.

• Visited December 2012