“Not so sweet” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal Sweet Daybreak

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
Hostal Sweet Daybreak
Calle Pasnapakana 133 | San Blas, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #169 of 222 Specialty lodging in Cusco
Chicago
“Not so sweet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

There are far better places to stay in Cuzco. The staff is unkind and not at all warm. Take your business else where.

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

Given a few of the glowing reviews I have read here and elsewhere about this given hostel, my hopes were high. I expected a warm reception, a clean room and a great view. But a good view (from outside) was about all I got.

First off and to be fair, we paid for our reservation in full ahead of time and maybe we should have only paid the required 50% but we did not want to be bothered with carrying the extra money if we did not have to. We paid for 4 nights in a private room but we arrived to Cusco a day later than expected because we missed (through no fault of our own---Delta's fault) our connecting flight to Lima a few days earlier. Our plan was to go to Puno first, which we did, then to Cusco. I figured that since we had heard so many nice things about Vanessa and Raf that they would be willing to help us out.

When we arrived, as opposed to everywhere else we stayed while in Peru, the reception was cold and it was a though they had no idea who we were. Vanessa and Raf are no where to be found at this point so we hoped that once we met them, it would be much improved. When we got to the room, it was nothing special, as promised. It was cold, dirty, and smelly. I can say that the water in the shower was hot so that was a positive. But the bed was dirty and had small bugs in it (not bed bugs, thankfully). And the kitchen was a smelly shack with no soap.

So we did our thing in Cusco for the next couple days without complaining hoping to run into Vanessa or Raf but never did. We knew we were going to need somewhere to sleep for one more night in Cusco after coming back from Machu Picchu so on the last day of our stay we went to talk with someone about it. Because we were hoping to get a deal because of the missed night, we were told we had to talk to Raf about it and he was still sleeping.....at 11:30!

So we came back later to finally meet Vanessa. She felt no pity on us for having missed our first night in the hostel and told us that if we wanted to stay one more night, all that was left for that specific night were dormitories and it was going to be 20 soles each.

Now, if it were me and a customer I was serving had the same trouble that we had getting to Cusco, then I would have been a bit more willing to help them out. We talked her down to 15 soles each but considering she was not going to fill those spots anyway, I feel that the right thing to do was to have just given us the beds for free. Afterall, it wasn't like they were out any money for the room on the night that it was empty.

Truthfully, when it comes to staying in hostels, I understand that you have to take the good with the bad but with this place, the lack of cleanliness and poor service outweighs any of the good things about this experience. If I ever go back to Cusco, there are certain places I will gladly do business with again, but Hostel Sweet Daybreak will not be one of them.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

Yes the views are great but thats it ! The rooms were large but the bathrooms pokey and dirty. If you like staying in an ice-box, then this is fine for you...freezing !
There is Internet, but it is one pc on the reception desk so you have to kick off the staff to use it. The "lounge" is also the small reception room however if the staff are watching the TV, you cannot sit and view a film as we found out to our shock ! The kitchen is an outdoor shack next to the garden with the most basic of facilities with the sink out in the garden, cold water and no washing up soap ! Couldn't wait to leave and found Hostal San Blas...charming, better location and everything you could wish for !

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Curitiba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Hostal Sweet Daybreak proved to be a wonderfull experience!!
The hostel location is priviledged and so is its view. Above the hostel there is a Mirador, where you can see the whole of Cusco. The same view is achieved from the main entrance.

There is a kitchen well equiped to make your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Wifi is available in the common spaces; The cable TV on every room is better than many cable tv operators I know, and there is a recently opened travel agency capàble of satisfying everyone's needs at the ultimatelly low price!!!

Both owners are very empathic and were always taking care of their guests.
Sweet Daybreak definitivelly made my experience in Cusco very pleasing.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I stayed here during my time in Cusco. Its not far from the plaza de armas and has a great view, there are many rooms withs balconys. I met really nice people and the place its quiet and clean. Great service, staff is very friendly and helpful. the patio is nice for sunny days and it is a safe place.Free internet access and great showers. I totally recomend this place for couples and solo travelers.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

A Lovely Hostal with an incredible view! All the people who work here are truly friendly and completely trustworthy. A perfect location for those who want to be in walking distance of all the activities of Cusco, but also want tranquility. The best view of Cusco ever. Affordable too.

Stayed January 2009
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

Hostal Sweet DayBreak is so good that I had to finally sign up for an account on here and write a review!

Raf and Vanessa are such lovely hosts. They replied really quickly to my last minute request and I'm so glad they did! They were so welcoming and friendly, they took care of us from the moment we arrived, locking up our bags until our room was ready as we arrived really early in the morning, then they took us out for breakfast to a lovely local place when we arrived which was exactly what we needed.

The views from this hostel are absolutely spectacular, if there wasn't so much to do in Cusco you could easily just sit there and look at it all day and all night.

The courtyard is a lovely space to hang out and chill between outings with lovely big cacti and plenty of places to sit or lounge, you can have a small fire in the evening in little ceramic pot fireplaces if the mood takes you, and there's a free full kitchen you can use, which we really appreciated as we were charged for using gas in some hostels in Peru. Vanessa made us a lovely snack one day too as she was making one for herself!

Raf and Vanessa have excellent local knowledge and can organise any trips or activities you can think of. They're also good with different languages as Raf is Belgian and Vanessa is Peruvian. They were both around for a chat or to help out or advise us whenever we had any questions, and the hostels other staff members were really lovely, friendly and helpful too.

Our room was large, airy and beautifully decorated and felt really rustic, genuine and homely with alpaca blankets on the beds and lots of natural wood. We opted to stay in a cheaper room without its own bathroom and the shared bathroom we used was great, it was so good to have a lovely hot shower with good water pressure after having cold dribbly showers for a while previously to staying here!

We had all our laundry done and asked in the evening for it to be done quickly as we had no clean clothes left and it was all done, laundered, dried, packaged and waiting for us early the next morning.

There is free, secure wireless internet if you have a laptop and also a decent fast pc in the reception area you can use if you don't.

The only people I wouldn't recommend this hostel to would be people using wheelchairs or crutches as you can't get a taxi right to the door, you have to go up some stone steps to get to it, hence the amazing view! If you are able bodied though it's a must!

I really can't recommend this hostel enough, thanks again Raf and Vanessa for a wonderful stay, we really hope to come back someday!

• Liked — The spectacular views
  • Disliked — Leaving, and not being able to go back again as I was on crutches after breaking my foot on the Inka Trail
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hostal Sweet Daybreak? Share your experiences!