“Nice stay at the Prisma” 3 of 5 stars

Prisma Hotel
Calle Matara 394, Cusco, Peru   |
Ranked #94 of 148 Hotels in Cusco
Lovettsville, Virginia
“Nice stay at the Prisma”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was on a 3 day / 2 night tour of Cusco and Machu Picchu and the tour company I arranged the trip through put me up in the Prisma Hotel. I read the reviews prior to my trip and had a pretty good idea what I was getting into. Check in was quick and the front desk personal was prepared for my visit and friendly. Everyone I spoke to at the front desk during my stay spoke OK English. As I filled in the registration form, I was offered a cup of cocoa tea. The room was small with a single bed, the bathroom tiny but adequate, with a shower. I did not experience any problems with the hot water though it took about a minute to get hot water when I took a shower. Overall the room was very clean. The room looked over the lobby. The bed was a bit hard but after all the walking and touring that day, my sleep was good. I did hear noise (people talking) from the lobby but I was so tired it did not bother me. I could see where it could annoy some. The room did have a small TV with many channels. The hotel had free WiFi and I found the signal in my room and lobby to be good. There is a small electrical heater on the floor but did not need it. The Breakfast was typical, breads, fruits, cheese, meats along with tea, coffee, and juices. This is a 3 star hotel and if you want an inexpensive place to stay that is clean and close to the center of the historical district, this would be a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We had one night here before departing for the Inca Trail and one night after the trek when we got back to Cusco (part of a G Adventures tour). The first night was terrible - our room was at the front of the hotel and there was so much noise from the street (car engines and honking)! The windows must be so thin. The corridors are very echoey too and we hardly slept - a frustrating experience when you need energy for a long trek. But for our return night we were not at the front and therefore had a good night's sleep and a much better impression of the hotel. Our double room was an adequate size and the bathroom was clean. Location is good - about ten minutes walk to Cusco's beautiful main square. So basically only stay here if you can get a room at the back!

• Stayed January 2013
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here as part of a tour with G Adventures.

The hotel doesn't have elevators and we stayed on the 4th floor. With the altitude, it was really hard to do the stairs (pre inca trail training). By the time we got to the 4th floor, we were huffing and puffing and hearts racing.

The hotel has all the basics except for shampoo and conditioner.

The rooms are quite. The hotel restaurant is really decently priced and the food is not bad. Breakfast is provided with some fruits, cereals, cheese, bread, and cold cuts.

The location is close to convenience stores and some shops. We didn't really get a chance to walk around so I can't say what else is around the area. Our tour guide took us to the main square on one occasion and it seemed pretty close.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just got here..service is non existant to say the least...there is no heater or ac, as it is cold up here in the Andes, i asked for some heat,,they provided a small plug in heater...it takes a very long time to warm up a room. I also got drenched outside as it´s rainy season, so now cold and wet. No hot water! I called down she said run the water for ten minutes...ten, fiften, twenty, nothing! Wifi did not work in my room so she said just use the lobby..4 flights down! Totally inconvenient. Plus just arriving and adjusting to altitude, you have to carry your bagge up four flights if you are lucky enough to have a room there..no elevators..fun stuff! Plus it echoes and is very noisy. Very dissapointed that G adventures chose this place!

Room Tip: Not 4th floor if you want wifi
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The good thing about Prisma is that it's in the centre of Cusco. It's south of the main plaza in an area that's more local. I did enjoy the neighbourhood, with lots of people bustling about, even at night. There is a local supermarket within walking distance where I picked up water and fruits and snacks.

My travelling partner and I stayed here because we'd be travelling with G (Gap) Adventures. G Adventures has their own desk within the hotel so that's a bonus for last minute questions. You'll notice that groups of people get up early or come back late, and that's the G Adventures tours leaving and coming back. If you're with G Adventures, there's also a storage room where you can leave your big backpacks for the week while you're away hiking the Inca Trail. The room is locked and you get a numbered tag for your luggage, so I did find the security for my bag a positive thing.

The hotel staff were ok, neither helpful nor unhelpful. Breakfast was also okay, some buns and jam and deli meats. It's very okay as a backpacker hotel but lacks charm and character. If you're okay with a place to stay for the night with no fuss and extra's, this would be the hotel. But if you wanted something a little nicer, I'd suggest Casa San Blas (where we stayed before coming here).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here twice as part of our G Adventures tours, and got to experience two different rooms.

One was cramped but adequate - they forgot to provide towels initially. The 'window' opened onto an internal shaft with a skylight, which was just about ok, though sound did travel up the shaft from other rooms, particularly the bathrooms.

The second room was much bigger and cleaner-feeling (Lino instead of carpet floor) with a huge shower, but this time the large single-glazed window opened directly into the main lobby of the hotel, which is a boomy, echoey cafe-like affair. At times we couldn't hear each other speaking over the noise from other travellers having conversations in the lobby.

For the second room, we asked at reception if another was available. The woman at the desk was curt and officious, and lied to our faces by saying we were the last group in when we checked in. We know for a fact that we weren't, as we were one of the first to be ticked off on a list of G Adventures bookings several pages long.

Our first visit gave us concerns about security too - we came back at 9pm one night and all the keys were laid out on reception. We picked ours up and the night guard, who we'd not met before, just nodded as we walked off. Recommend taking the GIANT fob with you rather than leaving it for someone less scrupulous to pick up.

On the plus side, baggage storage was efficient, breakfast was reasonable, many of the staff are very pleasant and helpful, there's a G Adventures desk in the lobby, and while the hotel is 15 mins walk from the main attractions, the local area has convenience stores and is pretty interesting as it's away from the main tourist drags.

Room Tip: Ask upfront for a room which doesn't face out into the lobby to avoid the noise from the common...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We could not believe how arrogant and bitter the front of house were. Their customer service is horrible. We booked and paid in advance for two rooms. Got there and they said that only one room was available. So I slept with my sister and mother in one room as there was no where else we could go that late. Then on the second night of our stay they did not want to let my mother enter the room because she did not have her passport with her.
She left her passport with my other sister that was staying at another hotel. So we had to call her at 11pm to bring the passport.
These people should not be in this sort of business.
I do not recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Prisma Hotel? Share your experiences!