“Avoid if you can” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 145 Hotels in Cusco
Toronto, Canada
“Avoid if you can”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just got here..service is non existant to say the least...there is no heater or ac, as it is cold up here in the Andes, i asked for some heat,,they provided a small plug in heater...it takes a very long time to warm up a room. I also got drenched outside as it´s rainy season, so now cold and wet. No hot water! I called down she said run the water for ten minutes...ten, fiften, twenty, nothing! Wifi did not work in my room so she said just use the lobby..4 flights down! Totally inconvenient. Plus just arriving and adjusting to altitude, you have to carry your bagge up four flights if you are lucky enough to have a room there..no elevators..fun stuff! Plus it echoes and is very noisy. Very dissapointed that G adventures chose this place!

Room Tip: Not 4th floor if you want wifi
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The good thing about Prisma is that it's in the centre of Cusco. It's south of the main plaza in an area that's more local. I did enjoy the neighbourhood, with lots of people bustling about, even at night. There is a local supermarket within walking distance where I picked up water and fruits and snacks.

My travelling partner and I stayed here because we'd be travelling with G (Gap) Adventures. G Adventures has their own desk within the hotel so that's a bonus for last minute questions. You'll notice that groups of people get up early or come back late, and that's the G Adventures tours leaving and coming back. If you're with G Adventures, there's also a storage room where you can leave your big backpacks for the week while you're away hiking the Inca Trail. The room is locked and you get a numbered tag for your luggage, so I did find the security for my bag a positive thing.

The hotel staff were ok, neither helpful nor unhelpful. Breakfast was also okay, some buns and jam and deli meats. It's very okay as a backpacker hotel but lacks charm and character. If you're okay with a place to stay for the night with no fuss and extra's, this would be the hotel. But if you wanted something a little nicer, I'd suggest Casa San Blas (where we stayed before coming here).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here twice as part of our G Adventures tours, and got to experience two different rooms.

One was cramped but adequate - they forgot to provide towels initially. The 'window' opened onto an internal shaft with a skylight, which was just about ok, though sound did travel up the shaft from other rooms, particularly the bathrooms.

The second room was much bigger and cleaner-feeling (Lino instead of carpet floor) with a huge shower, but this time the large single-glazed window opened directly into the main lobby of the hotel, which is a boomy, echoey cafe-like affair. At times we couldn't hear each other speaking over the noise from other travellers having conversations in the lobby.

For the second room, we asked at reception if another was available. The woman at the desk was curt and officious, and lied to our faces by saying we were the last group in when we checked in. We know for a fact that we weren't, as we were one of the first to be ticked off on a list of G Adventures bookings several pages long.

Our first visit gave us concerns about security too - we came back at 9pm one night and all the keys were laid out on reception. We picked ours up and the night guard, who we'd not met before, just nodded as we walked off. Recommend taking the GIANT fob with you rather than leaving it for someone less scrupulous to pick up.

On the plus side, baggage storage was efficient, breakfast was reasonable, many of the staff are very pleasant and helpful, there's a G Adventures desk in the lobby, and while the hotel is 15 mins walk from the main attractions, the local area has convenience stores and is pretty interesting as it's away from the main tourist drags.

Room Tip: Ask upfront for a room which doesn't face out into the lobby to avoid the noise from the common...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We could not believe how arrogant and bitter the front of house were. Their customer service is horrible. We booked and paid in advance for two rooms. Got there and they said that only one room was available. So I slept with my sister and mother in one room as there was no where else we could go that late. Then on the second night of our stay they did not want to let my mother enter the room because she did not have her passport with her.
She left her passport with my other sister that was staying at another hotel. So we had to call her at 11pm to bring the passport.
These people should not be in this sort of business.
I do not recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights as part of our g adventure trip. I was really happy with the hotel. The reception staff were very helpful and offered us a complimentary cocoa tea and city map on arrival.

Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the street. The view over the town was definitely worth the climb up the stairs and the street noise didn't bother us. The room was clean and simple.

The centre of the town was only a few minutes walk and seemed fairly safe even at night. We really enjoyed wandering around the streets close to the hotel. There are a lot of people selling things in the street, but a firm 'no' will usually suffice.

Breakfast was included and served from 6-10am. It was fairly simple, but nice food including breads, fruit, cold meats, salad, cereal, tea, juice, coffee and of course cocoa tea.

Overall, we were very happy here. Only issue is the hot water seems to run out at night, so plan to shower early

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was in Hotel Prisma as a result of my booking my trip via G Adventures. Unlike many, I did not do the Inka Trail as I did not have 3 nights time, so opted for the train, then hiked Machu Picchu mountain on the following morning. Upon check-in, they attempted to place me in a room with 2 double beds (and apparently was going to be splitting the room with a stranger?). When I advised I had paid for a single room, they did agree to accommodate this request. I was in room 206 which was awful because it was right by the stairs and the was are really paper thin. As a result, you get to hear all the morning traffic in the hotel getting ready early to depart for their trips. Next, I opted to purchase a hotel room in Aguas Calientes so I could spend another day at Machu Picchu and could hike the montagne Machu Picchu in the morning. It was a hassle trying to ask to check out of my room for just a single night, so I just kept my room for the night (and paid for it). In exchange, all I asked for was a late checkout on my final day since my flight was not until 2:40PM to Lima. They would not accommodate this request, so I had to check out at 9AM and come back for my luggage (without the benefit of a shower before my 20 hour return home). Not very customer friendly at all. The location is on a busy street, and although they will claim it is close to the Plaza d'Arms, so are many places. If I had this trip to do over again, I would have requested another hotel. I viewed this as an unfortunate circumstance in light of a terrific trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Not a great night's sleep. Reception staff seemed rather frosty rather than welcoming. Overall it was fine and I would stay there if I had to, but I wouldn't rush back. (I stayed here as part of a tour.) There was a pretty generous breakfast. When we had supper there one evening (too exhausted after the trek to go out) various choices on the menu weren't available and overall the supper was a little disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Prisma Hotel? Share your experiences!