“Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casona Solar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casona Solar to your Saves list
Hotel Casona Solar
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle Consuelo 116 | Cercado, Arequipa, Peru   |
Ranked #17 of 109 Arequipa B&B and Inns
New York City, New York, USA
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great experience at casona solar. The building is an amazing colonial structure. My room was just incredible with amazingly tall ceiling and newly renovated bathroom. Local friends say location is not very safe at night. I had no problems.

• Stayed October 2012

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Room was nicely decorated, very clean and spacious. Location very good and the overall feel of the place much nicer than a hotel. Staff friendly and helpful. Wheelchair accessible with soma help (tresholds).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

For a top-rated hotel (with a high price tag), we were expecting more. The rooms were certainly unique, but the service was mediocre. We had requested a matrimonial room but got stuck with two double beds - and they made no effort to offer a change (or an apology). There was no heat in our room and horrible lighting. The breakfast was minimal – only cereal, packaged yogurt, toast and hard-boiled eggs. The power went out twice - once when we were trying to pay for the room with our credit card and we were told we had to use cash instead (again with no apology). Arequipa was a great city, but this hotel did not deliver.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We´ve read good reviews about this hotel but were absolutely disappointed by the service! When we came down for breakfast about 45min before breakfast time ends, there were two slices of cheese and one slice of cold meat. We had the two slices of cheese and there was no fresh supply until we left the table. And we were not the only ones having breakfast at that time. We also had to ask for coffee, milk and hot water, which all usually were placed on the buffet but were all empty. We felt like being a pain in the [--], asking for our breakfast....
When we checked out after two nights (we decided to stay in another hotel in Arequipa), we received a call in our room 5min after offical check out time, asking where we are and telling us that check out time was over. We already had our luggage ready and were almost out of the door... We felt unwelcomed and would never book that hotel again.

Other than that the rooms are really nice, there´s a nice garden/ backyard and the location is ok. But how nice good that place be with good service??

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Smithfield, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were looking for a historic building away from the hustle and bustle (noise) of the Plaza de Armas, yet within walking distance, and Casona Solar fit the bill; they've done a nice, tasteful restoration of this former colonial residence, so be sure to check out the pictures on their web site. Breakfast was really Spartan, with a small selection of breakfast items. Each table was set up with carafes of hot water, and no one was sure what they were for, because all the guests were asking the waitress for coffee. There was a computer for guests in the lobby, but they charge 3 soles to use it, which is a pittance, so why bother to charge guests for using it in the first place? Rooms were simple, but pleasant, and had new flat-screen TVs. The showers did have plenty of hot water and the pressure was strong, so that was a nice surprise. Although we didn't hear any discos or other loud music, the rumble made by cars driving by on the brick paved street was non-stop throughout the night, and even the two-foot thick stone walls didn't do much to attenuate the noise. We only stayed one night, and that was about right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
budapest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Casona Solar for a few nights in June. I was making all of the arrangements from my base in Nicaragua, and I struggled from very early on with this hotel. I should have taken note of all of the red flags and looked for a different hotel before even leaving for Peru, but this place is the 'top choice' in the Lonely Planet so I thought it must be worth pursuing. Well, how totally wrong I was, and what a shame that Casona Solar is 'the' choice for Lonely Planet readers. From the very beginning it was an uphill battle to get the reservation confirmed (I have every credit card but Visa), so I transferred USD 400 to the hotel to guarantee the booking, using the bank info provided on the hotel's website. Well, that info is for their Peruvian sole account (so why list it on the page trying to attract international visitors?!), and they wanted ME to somehow figure out how to divert my original transfer to their USD account instead of taking their own initiative to work with their bank to get the transfer credited. They finally agreed to do the work from their end, but this took forever while they still weren't offering to confirm the reservation until the money had arrived. I suggested at that point that we just forget about trying to book a stay there and that they could return the bank transfer. No. They were sure they wanted to make this work so I waited patiently until everything finally cleared. When we arrived and saw the place, we were pleased. Yes, the location is great, the building is attractive. However, accommodations are spartan, as is the breakfast. Why can't a hotel provide a hand towel, for example? My sister and I were in separate rooms. The internet never did work in either of our rooms, and we had tepid water until we finally had NO hot water. As I wanted to shower the day we were departing, I insisted that they find a solution. The solution was to allow me to shower in the apartment of the owner, which has a separate system for heating water. That was a relief until I was drying off after the shower and noticed two pairs of worn women's panties hanging on the towel racks. I guess the quick cleaning and prep for my shower didn't allow for a more thorough job. Fine, but gross. The inconveniences experienced during our stay can happen, sure. So I'm not giving the 'terrible' rating for those. I am giving the terrible rating for the incredibly awful management of the place. The staff were nice and friendly, and we were fine doing all of the communicating in Spanish. But the staff, even as nice as they were, had no power to make any decisions or take any action on any question or concern. I guess this must be why they were also completely incapable of working an issue or question from start to finish. This is simply unforgivable. Why not empower people who work for you to do the best job they can by entrusting them with the authority to make decisions and also act responsibly thanks to the training you as management provide them in order to do the best for your business?? The worst experience of all was when we needed to settle the bill. I had transferred USD 400, and the bill was around USD 200. Not only did they 'exchange' the entire amount at 'their' lower rate (which is not the rate the bank had given them), but they then refused to just disregard my attempt to pay by bank transfer and return my money in full in USD (minus the bank charge, if any, even though I had asked my bank to put all sending and receiving charges on my account) and let me pay with my sister's Visa card on the spot. Thus, the forced exchange rate and forced transaction left the hotel gaining unfairly not only on the basis of my bank transfer, but then also on the basis of the charge in soles. I have never encountered such shady, exploitative and dishonest behavior on the part of a hotel anywhere in the world. Not in big cities, not in remote places, not in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia! And I got this treatment after going out of my way, in advance of our stay, to make sure that there would be sufficient funds in their account to cover our rooms and any normal extra charges we *might* accrue for food and services. So much for acting in good faith. In the end, there is no giving the benefit of the doubt here. The entire operation is shambolic, which is such a shame given that staff were nice and friendly, even if totally underempowered and a bit undercapacitated. As I suggested to them, a fair and functioning operation is the best guarantee of their jobs. I'm afraid that Casona Solar is neither fair nor functioning so I hope that the nice people working there find other opportunities once the hotel finally crashes and burns, or, better yet, as soon as possible! Arequipa has a ton to offer visitors and is, actually, one of the most interesting places I have visited and bases I have used. Therefore, please save yourself that hassle and avoid Casona Solar at all costs. Instead, support other innovative operations and enjoy Arequipa and your accommodation to the maximum. For what it's worth, I also paid for tours to the Sacred Valley and Colca Canyon, as well as our accommodation in Cusco, by bank transfer. Didn't have even the slightest problem with those transfers or settling those bills. Shame on Casona Solar, really!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel in May 2013 for 1 night. Was impressed the moment we saw the grounds and room. Beautiful garden and clean and spacious room. Great breakfast. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Casona Solar? Share your experiences!