“Great quality for money, excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

You added La Compania Hostal to your Saves list
La Compania Hostal
Moran 109 | Cercado, Arequipa AQP, Peru   |
Oslo, Norway
“Great quality for money, excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a basic but excellent hostal 10m from the Plaza de Armas in Arquipa. I got a large room with abundant hot water in my shower. Breakfast was good but basic. The service was excellent, the staff was very friendly and really made an effort to answer my varied questions about the city, tours, etc...Location is great, literally 10m from the Plaza de Armas and many major sights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room giving to the interior of the building to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

10 seconds walk to the main squares, it's amazingly convenient! The place is clean and tidy and have the roof top balcony where you can sit there and relax. Room is clean and tidy with good hot shower. No hair dryer and I think the scent in the room was too strong (they probably did spray some air fresher or what...) the staff was friendly and helpful. We arranged the taxi with the hostel to airport on our check out date for 20 soles but the taxi was late so we just took a taxi on the street (plenty of them. we got a taxi in seconds) and the taxi only charged us 15 soles so we really think it is not necessary to arrange with the hostel. We didn't have the breakfast in the hostel tho so we can't comment. plenty of restaurants in Arequipa we were tempted to eat outside.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed at La Compania hostel twice while visiting Arequipa. It is by far the best hostel in Peru. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. The towels and bedsheets are white and spotless. The atmosphere is peaceful and sophisticated. The service, breakfast, any assistance is superb. The manager and stuff are very friendly, helpful and they all speak English. The common area and the outdoor space in this hostel are absolutely stunning. While the hostel itself is a gem itself, its location is the best of all hostels in all of Arequipa. It is one block from the main square in the safest area of the city. You can be safely out and about any time of day and night - banks, restaurants, tour company offices are within a few minutes walk from La Compania. I highly recommend this amazing hostel and will stay there again when I return to Arequipa. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Pleasant Valley, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed at la Compania in mid October for about 5 days. We stayed in room #4 the suite, a beautiful room at first glance. Midday I saw a cluster of cockroaches near the balcony door, they scurried down a hole in the floor. At night, the parade began, some scattering as I walked through the room, one on top of the bathroom garbage, one in the shower. But don't worry, folks, the roaches are free, gratis, no extra money for them.
Additionally, this was the worst breakfast I ever had in any hotel in any country. The coffee was hot water to which you added a little concentrated already brewed coffee, the rolls were hard, cold, really gross. We went to Starbucks to get a coffee, a first for me.
We are experienced travelers, this place needs to clean up.
PS, back rooms are roach free or freer since they are not over the restaurant. We told the management, they said it is from the restaurant. Thanks. Good luck

Room Tip: Go to back rooms not over restaurant below
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The Hostel is very charismatic. The staff are very friendly and help accommodate you with whatever you need. The Rooms are very large, bathrooms very clean. Hot water 24/7 with great pressure.
It really is very hard to fault this place. The location is 2 seconds from the main plaza, where all the best cafe's and restaurants are. Pus you are surrounded by museums and churches so you never have to go too far if you don't want.
They stored our bags for us while we did the colca canyon trek, then on our return we liked Arequipa and the hostel so much, we booked in for another 2 nights, and they gave us the same room. It felt very homely.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I loved this place. I spent almost two weeks at this hotel and it was one of the best hotels I stayed at in Peru. For about $20 a night I got a great room with breakfast. I have to say the breakfast was one of the worst I had in Peru at a hotel, but the room made up for it. Spacious, high ceilings, nice sheets, nice furniture, very tastefully decorated, comfortable, a little bit of old world charm and the location is excellent, not only right by the main plaza and yet still peaceful and quiet, but also across from a couple of great cafes - cafe y vino and cafe valenzuela.

There was wireless internet available, but when I arrived, it seemed to be down. It took the staff a long time to fix it (days). I had to keep asking and asking. It ended up that the fix was really a quick fix (basically a phone call to the owners in Lima to obtain a password), but it seemed to be a big job for the staff. Other than that, though the staff were very nice, very friendly, and there was a kitchen that could be used to prepare basic food/tea etc.

For the price, this is an excellent place. Safe, comfortable, clean, tasteful, I really recommend it. Fyi, there is another La Compania hotel in Arequipa, on Jerusalen. Run by the same owners. I think it is quite nice too but I haven't stayed there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We were very impressed with Hostal La Compania. It is a very relaxed place right next to the Plaza de Armas. It is a hidden gem in a great location. We loved being so close to everything.
We also loved our large, comfortable room. The bathroom in top condition was also a plus.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to La Compania Hostal? Share your experiences!