“Nice garden setting” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Arequipa
Auckland New Zealand
“Nice garden setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was very reasonably priced and had a good location about 10 minutes walk from the city centre, and was reasonably quiet. It had a lovely garden to relax in with trees and plenty of loungers on the grass. Our room was comfortable but had no windows and to our surprise the room was not serviced once during the 4 days we stayed, with no towel changes or rubbish removal from the room. The breakfast also was fairly basic, in contrast to other hotels and hostals we stayed in during our Peru holiday. Overall the value for money was good, but some small improvements would have made the stay better.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms would have less noise
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is a nice hotel with warm colors. I didn't realize it as I arrived the hotel at around 1am in the dark. The staff there seemed to be sleeping at the time that I could totally understand. He seems to be awaken by our arrival but he served us well.

Staff there was helpful and friendly. They helped us to arrange pick-up for the next hotel.

The room was small but OK. It has its method to make room for you to put your stuff. The bathroom was small. The bathroom door was kind of broken that couldn't be closed properly. The shower area was very small that I would touch the shower curtain when showering. The drainage was not very good which was a common problem in Peru. Anyway, the water was hot enough.

It has a very nice courtyard and a heavy turtle. The turtle was very friendly and liked our shoes. You can see the snow-capped mountain on the second floor corridor. If you climbed up to the third floor (which was quite a secret place), you could see the school beside. The pupils there discovered us and greeted us VERY warmly and excitedly. All waving their hands to us. We were afraid we disturbed their lessons so we just returned a big wave and took pics and left them alone.

We had a night bus the other day and the hotel welcomed us to stay at the little room beside the front desk, use their wifi and sockets for charging.

I saw there was a room for table-tennis and some other recreation.

Do walk around the hotel and enjoy the environment, the scenes and the plants.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
lespino, Propietario at Casa de Avila - Tourist Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
We are pleased you all enjoyed Casa de Avila. Our Staff is always willing to help. That can be noticed immediately by our guests. We keep a "Fare Wage Policy" as a rule with them.
About rooms. If you book on line, you can see we have different options and prices. Our King size room (see pictures in Tripadvisor) is really big for the standard in Peru. 5 x 6.8 m (15 x 20 feet) not including the bathroom. And our family room is bigger and can hold 5 people. See picture. Cheaper rooms are smaller.
We will do our best to keep having a clean room, with clean sheets, warm colored walls, a beautiful courtyard and hot water in our showers.
And girls in school are always happy to wave our guests.
Welcome again anytime and thanks
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel is pretty well located, has a nice courtyard, an okay Peru style (continental) breakfast. Don't exchange money here they have a ridiculous exchange rate. Spilt something on a bedsheet and they insisted we pay for the sheet. Seemed likely they could have cleaned the sheet but who knows.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
lespino, Propietario at Casa de Avila - Tourist Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for your opinion. Seems you liked our hotel. Unfortunately you did not like some of our policies.
Exchange rate: We do not give that service, as you can see from our advertisement (web and printed). Sometimes we help a guest in an emergency (eg pay taxi) exchanging 10 or 5 dollars. Our rate is 0.076 US dollar cent different than the one you can find in black market. (2.6 soles per dollar against 2.8 soles per dollar). Is that too much?
When you pay with a CC, local bank will charge you in soles, and will charge your foreign bank in dollars using what they call "official bank rate". We warn our guests about this difference before charging. But we are not doing any money exchange. Will this be your situation?
About bed sheets. Blood, organic fluids and liquids splited will make us discard sheets. I am sure you will agree you received extra clean sheets on your arrival. Which is probe we take care cleanliness as our main concern. We have very few incidents like yours, so we both know what happened to that sheet. And every hotel will have a protective policy for issues like this.
Thanks again
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights travelling as a couple plus a friend (shared a triple room). We LOVED the courtyard garden and the friendly tortoise. Initially we spent 2 nights before doing a 3-day trek into the Colca Canyon. Our room was at the far end of the U-shaped building and it was very noisy in the morning (traffic, honking, and dogs barking). We were closer to the cafeteria for our third night after the trek and it was much quieter.

We booked our trek through the front desk and were happy with the service we got. However, we also booked bus tickets to Puno through the front desk and were surprised to discover that we'd actually booked a tour, not just transportation. This meant our trip would take an extra 1-2 hours due to stops at viewpoints, some of which we'd already seen during our trip to the Colca Canyon. We would've preferred just the bus tickets and it ended up being a total disaster. For some reason our driver (same company as tour) returned to Arequipa after we were 1 hour from the city and we ended up missing the connection with the larger coach bus and our tour. The driver had to take us all the way to Puno and we arrived 2 hours late. Now, I realize this was not the hotel's fault, but still frustrating since we never wanted the tour in the first place and I thought it would be a useful heads'-up to other travellers thinking about booking bus tickets through the front desk. The tour company was 4M Express.

My biggest dislike is that the hotel expects you to pay in US$ even though this is Peru! When we requested to pay in nuevos soles, they offered us a ridiculously horrible exchange rate for the room cost!

Aside from my comments above we thought this was a well-maintained, clean hostel and the staff was very friendly (English-speaking as well). It was a bit of a walk to the Plaza de Armas.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the cafeteria are less likely to be disturbed by early morning traffic noise. The bu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
ubud
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

A great budget option in Arequipa. Lovely staff who were always willing to answer the 100 questions you wanted to ask every day..Only three blocks to the centre of town.Free internet, a basic breakfast but you can pay more to get more. They organise tours for you and we did a two day Colca Canyon tour which was fantastic. You can take spanish lessons in the lovey garden every day if you wish and they give local cooking lessons too. Their courtyard is beautiful and is a great place to chill out, with their own tortoise which is quite cute. Great place to stay and great people.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the Casa Avila in February for about ten days. I took a week of Spanish lessons. Beatriz and Cecilia were my teachers. best teaching I ever. The lessons take place in the garden, which is a joy in itself. I could amble upstairs, eat some breakfast, take the rest back down with me and sit in the garden to wait for my lessons.
Even in February when it rained like mad every afternoon from 4.00pm, the sun shone on our lessons every morning.Heaven.

The hotel itself is lovely, pretty colours everywhere.The courtyard and reception area are immediately welcoming. The rooms overlook a beautiful central garden with hummingbirds and resident turtle, Pachita. I was so charmed to find her waddling towards me when I went out into the garden one morning.

The staff are wonderful. It is hard to believe I was there for such a short time because they became real friends. Raquel, Melissa and Sandra were so helpful, booking hotels for my onward journey etc. And Melissa went to a great deal of trouble to send me my earphones, which I left in the room.

Armando runs the tours side of the business. he is an interesting man to talk to, especailly if you are interested in really geting to Peru. He organised a tour for me taking in Ica, Paracas, the Ballesta Islands Nasca etc on the way from Lima to Arequipa. I was a little nervous as I was alone and it was my first time in Peru, and I didn't know how it would all work. Everything ran like clockwork and I had a wonderful time

I stayed in Casa de Avila ten days altogether. I moved on because the weather was particularly bad and I couldn't do any travelling in the area - to the canyons etc. I really didn't want to leave and vowed to come back. The combination of accomodation that felt so homely and marvellous teaching and delightful surroundings couldn't be bettered anywhere else.

So I am returning in September! i can't wait!

Stayed February 2012
Urubamba, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed here with a group of 6 volunteers. I was thrilled with the experience! The staff are incredibly nice and attentive. They all called me by my name throughout our stay. And the ambiance is lovely: big garden with comfy chairs, a nice large game room, brightly-colored walls. And the rooms are great--incredibly clean and charming. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in in all my travels around Peru! The pillows were to die for--something you don't fine often! I recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa de Avila - Tourist Hotel? Share your experiences!