“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Las Torres de Ugarte to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
Las Torres de Ugarte
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 a Ugarte Street | Behind of Santa Catalina Monastery, Arequipa, Peru   |
Ranked #5 of 85 hotels in Arequipa
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I chose this hotel after doing my research on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. Staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good with a different treat each day - pancakes, fresh fruit, etc. We were also able to leave our main luggage at the hotel while visiting Colca Canyon for a couple of nights. The location was excellent, within walking distance of the main attractions and they have a resident tortoise in the garden! I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

A family member recommended this hotel, I went with my older mother and we had a great stay. The staff is very helpful and always going the extra mile to make you feel comfortable. The location is great, next to all the main attractions and places. Safe and secure. I will definitely will be back...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Me and my friends spent two nights in this hostel. The location is perfect, staff is also nice and helpful, laundry service available. The rooms are cosy, comfortable and clean. The breakfasts were amazing! Buffet style, always fresh fruit juices (mango, maracuja, orange), bread, cookies, eggs and one day we had pancakes. I would definitely recommend the hostel, the price is very very reasonable for what you get!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Positives:
- The location was perfect! Close to the city center,
- The staff was very friendly. When we arrived early with the night bus from Lima they did their best to have a room ready asap.
- The room we got was very spacious and was located in a small colonial building
- Breakfast was on one of the top floors (good view) and was very nice
- The courtyard is a great place to hang out

The only slightly less positive point that is that the courtyard can be a bit noisy in the morning. However, this is very minor and we would definetely recommend this hotel!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shillingford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The good points: central position, good breakfasts, clean, helpful staff.
But the hotel is dark and gloomy and very much in need of renovation. The first room we had looked onto a building construction immediately outside the window. I complained and we were moved next day to a room with a view of the garden. Both rooms were small and spartan with very little storage space for clothes. The the second bathroom there was only a cold tap in the wash basin.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here for a few days during my time in Arequipa.

Pros:
- Location. Amazing location only a couple of blocks away from the Monastery and a short walk to the Plaza/other interesting places to visit.
- Breakfast. One of the best breakfasts I had during my time in Peru. Every day there is a different dish (fruit/pancakes etc.) and there is always a good selection of bread, juices, teas, ham/cheese.
- Room. I was fortunate to have a room with a window facing the courtyard during my stay. I could even see Misti from my window! The room had enough room to put out all my stuff and had a practical coat rack (it was the only coat rack I had in Peru and it was super useful!). The bathroom was a bit small, but manageable. It took me a while to get used to the water temperature for the shower which was frustrating but most likely due to my incompetence.
- Garden. I didn't spend much time out there, but it was nice and quiet and I frequently looked down at it from my window. The turtle is only out when it's hot (around 10-2), otherwise it is in it's little hut.
- Staff. The employees here are very friendly and professional. There is almost always one staff on hand who speaks excellent English and I always enjoyed coming back from my excursions and sharing the details of my day with them.

Things to think about:
- I had one issue where there was no hot water in the hotel for a period of time (from afternoon to late at night). It would have been appreciated if the hotel had notified everyone that during this period there would be no hot water due to the city's restrictions (I believe it is common of having the water shut down in various areas of the city). Instead, I wasn't able to shower until much later than I had planned which wasn't very fun after a full day of activities.

Side note - I had arranged an airport pick-up through the hotel, but the taxi driver was not quite on the up-and-up and charged me more. It should be s/20 from the airport. The driver acknowledged that yes, the hotel had quoted me s/20 but that is what he has to pay to go into the airport (at which point he conveniently goes through the airport gates which have the prices posted in Spanish and you can see that one of the prices is s/20). He said that it is actually s/27 which I agreed upon (because I was honestly too tired and lacking in Spanish speaking ability to argue). Then when he gave me change, because I was distracted by the hotel staff coming out to great me, he shortchanged me by a couple of extra soles. The taxi driver the hotel used for me to go back to the airport was honest. If this happens to you, I would be more adamant about the s/20 price or wait till you get to the hotel to have the staff help you.

Overall, I would recommend this to any traveller who wants to stay close to the sights!

Room Tip: Request a room with a window facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night in September 2013 and found the stay to be comfortable. We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms which was nothing very special but certainly met our needs. It was clean and the shower was good. The interior courtyard was lovely. The staff were helpful except that they were not able to offer us an early breakfast on the morning of our flight. The location is great, away from the noise but close to the main square.

Room Tip: I would suggest one of the courtyard rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Las Torres de Ugarte? Share your experiences!