“Great Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Torres de Ugarte

You added Las Torres de Ugarte to your Saves list
Las Torres de Ugarte
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 a Ugarte Street | Behind of Santa Catalina Monastery, Arequipa, Peru   |
Ranked #5 of 87 Hotels in Arequipa
Surprise, Arizona
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was in Arequipa for a few days and had been staying in an otherwise perfectly fine place recommended on Trip Advisor, except that it was too far from the city center. So I turned again to Trip Advisor to read reviews on some closer options. I settled on Las Torres de Ugarte and am so glad I did. For one thing, it's just a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas, yet situated in an area with restricted motorized access. It was so quiet and peaceful there, in stark contrast to the traffic gridlock found most everywhere else in the heart of Peru's second largest city. The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable. Rooms are tastefully appointed, and there's a relaxing courtyard as well as a rooftop deck with a view of Misti Volcano. A fantastic breakfast is served in a sunny upstairs dining room, presided over by the ever ebullient cocinero Vicente. The rest of the staff, from the manager to the desk clerks to the maids are just as professional and nice, all doing their part to make one's stay truly memorable. Excellent in-house laundry service. Complimentary luggage storage. All this and at a reasonable price. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Colonial House Inn for the first night in Arequipa but decided to move to this one for a bit more comfort and better hot shower. There's definitely a difference between a $20 hotel vs a $40 one. You get half of everything (ie. 1.5 Wifi bar, semi hot water pressure, semi clean) with the former. Las Torres de Ugarte is definitely a good choice if you want good location, comfort, breakfast, wifi and price. They even have a big turtle in their yard! the turtle is hilarious. It will come towards you to bite you. Its in turtle speed so not too dangerous. Maybe it thinks its a guard dog.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hostel is clean, friendly and located in a great neighborhood, very close to the square. It also has a surprisingly delicious and fresh breakfast and a nice rooftop terrace. The rooms are very simply and the walls are thin. In addition, there is a regular church bell that goes off very early in the morning so sensitive sleepers, be forewarned. Not sure if this is something that can be avoided in the city center though. We stayed for New Years and the family who owns the hostel greeted us with New Years kisses. They are a very friendly and helpful bunch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at Las Torres with my parents just after the new year and split the stay with a trip to the Colca Canyon. We arrived early our first day and they were able to put out luggage in locked storage. When we came back in the afternoon, they had put all of our luggage in our room. When we returned from the Canyon they gave us the same treatment, recognized us immediatly, and were extremely helpful. I came back from the Canyon with major stomch problems and they ordered a doctor to come to my room within five minute, free of charge, "a free service of the hotel, " they said. The Doctor was able to diagnose me kindly, quickly and efficiently and I'm feeling better already. Never have I had such a delightful stay at a hotel. It's a great break from the noise of the city and once you're here, you feel like family. The kindness and professionalism of the staff here is unparalleled. Each person we've met here seems to love what they do. I imagine that this is a very well managed hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed a total of 5 nights at Las Torres de Ugarte, based on the stellar reviews here on Trip Advisor. I was not disappointed in the least. I was given a room on the 3rd floor, in the rear of the building, which looked over the garden courtyard below, and with a sweeping view of El Misti volcano and the snow covered peaks of Chachani.

The room was spotlessly clean, cozy and comfortable, the shower had plenty of hot water and good water pressure, and wi-fi was reliable. Hot water seems to be a recurring issue in Peru, per Trip Advisor reviews, but I did not encounter this here (or anywhere else I stayed at.)  Breakfast was diverse and plentiful, with delicious breads, fresh fruits, cheese, and lots of strong coffee. And each morning I was offered something new from the kitchen to complement the buffet, from bananas in cream to eggs with bacon. In short, I never started my day hungry, but happily full and ready to explore all that Arequipa has to offer.

Jeine Maria and her staff were a true delight, and she always welcomed me "home" with a friendly hug, asking how my day went. As a solo traveler, I appreciate that level of genuine warmth and friendliness, a reflection of the Peruvian character, but which was never intrusive or unprofessional.

I am not the kind of traveler who spends much time in the room. However, the hotel has a lovely manicured garden in the back with tables and chairs for lounging, as well as a roof terrace for 360° views of the city. Keep an eye out for Lolo, the giant tortoise. When he's not in his den, you'll find him ambling slowly about the garden, soaking up the sun.

Lastly, the location is perfect, right near the Monasterio de Sta. Catalina, and a 10 minute stroll from the Plaza de Armas, shopping, and restaurants. I'd give Torres de Ugarte six stars if I could!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Probably the best place we stayed in our one month South America trip !

Definitely the breakfast was the best, with eggs, ham, cheese, 2 types of juice, yoghurt, different types of cereals and a surprise each day, either pancake or fruit salad etc.

The personal is of real help, they have proposed to move us in the inside patio, but we refused although our room was on the street and hence a little bit noisy. They even wanted to help us with the bus schedule from Arequipa to Cabanaconde but the information was not good and we lost half a day in Arequipa as we thought of changing our itinerary.

They have also laundry for 6 soles / kilo which was of real help.

The place is really closed to plaza de Armas and to a lot of restaurants; the personal of hotel recommended some really good quality / price places!

I would definitely go back to Las Torres de Ugarte.

Joker

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

There are not enough words to describe how good this hotel is. So let's start- the rooms are big, clean and well maintained. The shower is great and the water is always hot. The staff in the lobby know english, which is not something you can take for granted in peru. The breakfast is amazing - with fresh juice, coffee, tea, bread, orange cake and a very good home-made omlet. During my stay my friend got sick and the staff actually ordered us a doctor without charging! Also, location is great at the city center and did I mention LOLO the huge and cute tertle who lives there?!. 5 stars, dont even think twice - book it now. i am a fan!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Las Torres de Ugarte? Share your experiences!