“meh” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Reyna

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arequipa
La Reyna
You added La Reyna to your Saves list
Zela 209, Arequipa, Peru   |
Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Arequipa
barrie
“meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This hostel was alright, the views upstairs were excellent, the breakfast was good, it was the service that was not great. The male service people at the front were quite helpful, however their English was limited (fair enough we were in Peru!), but I found the female workers to be a bit, almost rude, when we needed something. They were constantly running out of toilet paper and not keeping up with it, I received a few eye rolls when I had to ask for some more.

Likewise, it seemed the internet was constantly being used by the staff, again fine, but the eye rolls were back when I asked to use the internet (included in price).

I would definitely recommend that you stay at this place. I liked the look of the interior of the hostel, and it was a short distance from the plaza d'armas. Also very very close to Santa Teresa convent.

Room Tip: The dorm on the main floor was quite loud, bring your earplugs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Great location... Everything you need is walking distance. Rooms are very small unless you pay for the one really big room they have on the roof with its own bathroom. The other rooms share a bathroom per floor. People leave things at desk because they are not secure in room so every time u leave u have to haul your stuff downstairs . It's very cheap! 24 hour bellman. No room service, but as I mentioned everything is walking distance. On a budget this is your huckleberry!!!

• Stayed March 2012
Callalli, Arequipa, Peru
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I am a Peace Corps volunteer in the Colca Canyon. I have lived in the Colca for a year and a half working with tourism and small business development and I usually make trips to Arequipa city about twice a month. My girlfriend and I had heard about an amazing room that overlooks the monastery from other Peace Corps volunteers. I made a reservation for two nights during the anniversary of Arequipa two weeks in advance. When we arrived to Arequipa, they told me the room was occupied. I asked them why they didn´t reserve the room and they said ¨there has been a recent change in management and the reservation was lost¨. In the book my name was clearly marked for those days.

We tried to give the hotel another go. I made a reservation again for the days my girlfriend was coming. I happened to arrive in Arequipa early in the morning to pick her up from the airport. We ended up getting the room, but only because we arrived first. There were two other reservations for the same room on the same day as mine! The other two reservations were unhappy to say the least.

The third time we tried Reyna was on the 26th of October. I had made the reservation about 4 days in advance. I told the lady that I had had problems with reserving a room there in the past and I would really like them to try and get the reservation right this time. Sure enough, the morning I got there on the 26th, they hadn´t even written down my reservation and the room was taken!!!! I also made a reservation for the 30th and 31st the same time I made the reservation for the 26th, which they also did not record. I told the man to write down my reservation for the 30th and 31st and that I didn´t want this to happen again.

Yet again, the same thing happened!! The said the room was taken even though I had a reservation. I was furious!! First we had to deal with a girl that worked there that said we were wasting our time complaining because we weren´t going to get the room. After refusing to take blame for what happened, she started to get very rude. Then another employee came to talk with us. He explained that the people in the room were older so they got the room over us. We explained that this has happened to us 3 times already and they refused to take blame!

The room at Reyna is a very nice room and well priced, but the administration is so unorganized and untrained in how to treat customers that it infuriates me. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

This is such a great value for money hostel, that I have to share this with other budget travellers. We first stayed in another hostel which was more expensive and way less service. We did not even got towels there. Here the rooms are spacious and clean. There is hot water 24 hours. Friendly and helpfull staff. Several nice roof terraces, with a beautifull view over the city and monastery. Perfect location. This is defenitely the cheapest and best hostel in Arequipa. We payed fifty soles for a double room with private bathroom and included a good breakfast!

• Stayed September 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Me and my husband payed 42soles for a double room with a private bathroom. Breakfast was also included. This consisted of an egg, bread, butter and jam, and either tea or coffee. They will also bring breakfast to you on the rooftop terrace that they have. This has mountaintop and monestary views.
The room was quite small and cramped, especially the bathroom but it was clean enough, however, it did smell a bit dusty.
The bed was comfy enough with plenty of warm blankets. The water was also hot - not lukewarm - hot! There was no TV and no fan. But the room did include towels, soap and a small table.
I also think they had free wireless included but you could only get this from the lobby area downstairs.

There is no kitchen access.
They also do have laundry which they do for you, it isnt self service. I am not sure the price of this as I never used it.

The workers here are extremely friendly and some do speak English. They can arrange plenty of activities and tours for you. We booked the 2day/1 night in Colca Canyon through them and everything was great. They also store luggage for free.

The location is very good. It is situated right next to Monasterio Santa Catalina and is just a 5 minute walk from the main square - Plaza de Armas.
You can walk to the main bus terminal in about 20minutes but a taxi is just a few USD.

Would definately return if I am in Arequipa again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011 via mobile

Modest but clean rooms, AMAZING roof top views and super cheap! I had a private room and bath with a double bed and paid 22 soles per night with breakfast...that's around 6-7 bucks. The staff are friendly and Alberto, the manager, is incredibly sweet and helpful. Great location, too!

• Stayed May 2011
Poznan, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

The hotel is situated in the historical center of the city, very close to Plaza de Armas, in the immediate vicinity of the old monastery (Santa Catalina I think). The hotel enchants with diversity with just a labyrinth of corridors and terraces wrapped around two courtyards. Service is very polite and helpful. Restaurant is very good. There's also a local travel agent.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Reyna? Share your experiences!