“Basic” 3 of 5 stars

Cruz Verde 111 | Cercado, Arequipa, Peru   |
London
“Basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is good value for money but the pictures are very misleading; it is not as nice as the images make it look. It is a very basic hotel, the room was not cleaned throughout our stay, they did not even empty the toilet paper bin and we had to ask for more toilet paper. Some of the staff don't speak any English, but they were all as helpful as possible with our limited Spanish. Overall it is good if you are on a budget - absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the location is brilliant, but don't expect anything too nice.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Estela de Oro is two blocks from the main square (plaza de armas) of this interesting Peruvian city.. The hostel is spotlessly clean and extremely reasonable. I paid $16 for a private room with bath, wifi, and cable TV with many English channels. The posted tariff was $28 a night and it would be a good bargain at that rate. Gloria, the de facto manager, booked hostels for me in two cities, calling on her cell but charging me nothing, and that is the reason I am going to the trouble to write this review.I do not believe you can find a better deal in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Estela de Oro is an excellent value for the money. The staff is super friendly and helpful. They helped us (arranged taxi rides, store our luaggages for free, and gave us maps and directions) even before we actually booked to stay at the hotel. When we did stay, they threw in a complimentary airport transfer. Although the staff had assured me that they had already taken care of the fare, the taxi driver tried to charge us for the ride. I had literally ran out of soles at that point, so I only paid him half, asking him to collect the rest from the hotel. While waiting at the airport, the hotel staff actually sent someone to track me down to reimburse me for what I paid the taxi driver. I am very impressed with how the staff demonstrated their caring for the hotel guests. Definitely recommend this place. I will definitely stay here again, and I hope the establishment retains its charm even as it prospers.

Room Tip: The entire facility is in great condition.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Petah Tiqwa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

last october 2011,we,my mom and I,visited arequipa,we stayed in Estela de Oro Posada.
first of all,we had the amazing Opportunity to meet Yael.
she is an amazing person,she helped us a lot,with all the information we needed.
she helped us planning our 6 weeks in Peru,bus tickets,taxis in arequipa,and all with excellent english,and gentle attitude.

Her place is more than regular hotel.
everything is new and clean,the location is perfect.
and Arequipa is a very interesting and beautifull place,and excellent choise to visit!!
have fun!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

On our trip around Peru we have descided to visit Arequipa and the Colca vally. Yael at Estela de Oro Posada welcomed us with warm friendly way, guided us with all attractions in the town and made her best for us to feel at home. The hostel is centrally located and the room was confortable and causy. We highly recommend it as a base to see Arequipa and environment
sarula and Eytan
Nes Ziona, Israel

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

i was in this hotel and it was soooooooooooo great
the peoples who running this place are amazing (jael y edwin)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011 via mobile

I recommend esteladeoro hotel in Arequipa. It's new and so not listed in the guidebooks. I was told about it by another traveller. It's on cruz verde 111 and so really central eg about 2 blocks from the plaza. It's clean, got very helpful staff (when I got conflicting bus times the woman on reception even asked her friend who worked at the bus station to reserve me a ticket!), great showers, and is good value. I paid 35 soles for single room with bath including bfast. Free transfer from bus station. Tv has english speaking channels. Can't recommend it more highly. Only potential negatives are the street it's on has lots of collectivos stopping but I could not hear traffic in my room at all. Also rooms look onto a light central area (it has a transparent roof) not to the outside but this is typical in south America.
Their email is hesteladeoro@yahoo.com and their web address is www.esteladeorohotel.com

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Estela de Oro Posada? Share your experiences!