“good place at the center cuenca” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostal Yakumama to your Saves list
Hostal Yakumama
Luis Cordero 5-66 y Honorato Vasquez, Cuenca 010150, Ecuador   |
Ranked #11 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Cuenca
“good place at the center cuenca”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

we stayed 2 nights in a double room with private bathroom, incl. breakfast

+ big and clean room with a comfortable double bed and nice bathroom (hot water and good pressure)
+ free and reliable wifi at all places available
+ friendly (swiss) hosts which assist you with all your matters
+ breakfast with fresh brown or white bread (however, quantity a bit at the mimimum)
+ very centrally located
+ beautiful garden to hang around
+ free luggage storage
+ good value for money

what could be improved in our view (details...):
- provide a fruit for breakfast (without charging extra)
- make sure that breakfast is ready by 8am (or even consider to provide the breakfast earlier)
- provide a bar in the bathroom to hang up the wet towels
- provide a chair or similar in the room to put luggage on it
- put a sign at the main gate on sundays (when the restaurant is closed) announcing that the hostel is actually open (we almost walked away without ringing the bell which is not obvious to find)
- check the sink hole in the shower since the water does not really sink well
- provide leaflets with local travel advice, e.g. for day trips to Cajas NP

our conclusion: recommended, we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This recently opened hostal was one of the best I had in my whole trip through south-america. The owners are as young as most of their guests, which lets them perfectly understand travellers' needs. I had really good conversations with them.

The whole property is in a perfect condition, everything just renovated. The hostal is not pretending to have hot water, it actually has hot water, wifi and even a living room, where everyone has a place to meet and share stories.
The food is excellent and at reasonable prices, the free breakfast rounds the whole thing up.
Additionally the property is centrally located and secured by a nightguard.

Last but not least the owners invented with the "hammock"-option a low-budget option with adventure character. If you prefer a proper bed... the rooms are huge. I guess if everyone in the dorm would bring three backpacks, there would be still space...

To sum it up. If you are looking for a (in my opinion) perfect hostal at a reasonable price, go for Yakumama

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hostal is a converted school! The rooms are very clean with nice bedding. They are also very modern as it is a new hostal. We arrived late and the staff was more than helpful when we asked to order a full meal. The bar/restaurant was extremely clean and modern. The menu prices were fantastic and the portions were HUGE! The food was fresh and hot when served. The happy hour includes mojitos for $1.80 and being choosy about my mojitos, I didnt want to miss happy hour the entire time I was there. There were also several other drinks to choose from for happy hour and during regular bar hours. Additionally, we met many locals while in the bar/restaurant, several we will be keeping in contact with in the future.

We stayed in the matrimonial room with private bath. It was a nice treat after several weeks in Ecuador. Towels were not included in the $28 price but the room was large and the showers had hot water all the time. There was plenty of drawer and shelf space to put our items and it" was quiet at night. The front door to the building is locked and secure but several times during our stay, we came in rather late and never had a problem with the door being answered right away. The internet connection was rather weak in the room but it did work intermittently. However, the connection was strong in the bar/restaurant and we had no problem skyping our family members in the USA sometimes for an hour. Since the bar/restaurant is large, there is a quiet area in the back which allows for a couple to have a quiet dinner and a long skype session.

There is included with the price of the room a light breakfast of coffee, homemade bread and jam. The bread was great and we couldnt get enough of the jam. For a mere 50 cents one can add two eggs! The coffee was very important to us as we are coffee drinkers and like two cups each when we wake up in the morning. It was of good quality here and made our morning a bit easier as we weren't forced to search for coffee and bring it back to the room.

For those who smoke, there is either smoking in front of the hostal near the bar/restaurant as well as in the huge courtyard where there is a bar. The bar was not being utilized during our stay but there were plenty of ashtrays and chairs as well as a decent internet connection. The smokers can enjoy their addiction without the nonsmokers being offended.

In conclusion, we are avid travellers, having traveled around the world for many years. We have stayed in many hostals. We want to give a special shout out to Claus, the owner of the hostal. He was very friendly, helpful with providing information about Cuenca and it was obvious he cared about the hostal and his travellers. This is a "A+" hostal and we can't wait to come back again! A big pat on the back to Claus and the gang for a premiere experience!

Room Tip: All the rooms appeared very nice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

So after reading all of the comments/reviews I can say that the owners are not mean-spirited as some may have you believe. They are new owners and it takes time to establish a routine with guests, I know because I've been in that situation. The rooms are great, I slept in the hammocks and had I complaints. The breakfast is basic but when you're paying $4.50 for a night stay, free breakfast is great, don't complain just eat somewhere else, damn! The bar is average in price and I very much e joyed conversing w the staff. I would recommend this hostal to anyone (not just Germans) being that I'm not of Germanic descent a d they treated me fine. Another plus is they are building a skateboard ramp in the yard, that to me is a BIG bonus, cheers!

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights on the top floor in the hammocks. Blankets provided were very good.

Nice vibe about the place. Kept very clean and the shower was hot, not warm!
Breakfast very good.
Wifi was good when working, difficult to join after returning back to hostel from sight seeing. Not a massive complaint, more of a first world inconvenience!

• Stayed August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was seriously impressed by Yakumama. It is really clean, quiet at night, the beds are comfortable and the rooms have a lot of space (apparently the building used to be a school, so the rooms are all quite large). Location is good as well - right in the historic downtown. Fantastic value - high quality and low price. PLUS breakfast is included. It was definitely the best hostel I stayed in in my one month trip in Ecuador.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I came here after recommendation of a friend that I met a while back in Montanita. All I have to say I really loved the place for a diversity of reason.

The first one was that I met a lot of really fun people there to talk to, party with, flirt with. Not to mention a lot of swiss german people there.

The second is that the owners are super friendly, flexible and nice. As well as the personnel, Bartender and what not! All of them are always full of advice for you.

The first few nights, I was there were a bit empty but during the week end, the place filled up real nice!

The internet is really good for inside the old town.

I personally really liked the place but you need to be forward and not afraid of communicating.

Room Tip: Dorms are pretty good, if you can get one on a quiet side it will be nice and you will sleep really...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostal Yakumama? Share your experiences!