“Centrally located and clean” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostal Yakumama to your Saves list
Hostal Yakumama
Luis Cordero 5-66 y Honorato Vasquez, Cuenca 010150, Ecuador   |
Ranked #10 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Cuenca
“Centrally located and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights on the top floor in the hammocks. Blankets provided were very good.

Nice vibe about the place. Kept very clean and the shower was hot, not warm!
Breakfast very good.
Wifi was good when working, difficult to join after returning back to hostel from sight seeing. Not a massive complaint, more of a first world inconvenience!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was seriously impressed by Yakumama. It is really clean, quiet at night, the beds are comfortable and the rooms have a lot of space (apparently the building used to be a school, so the rooms are all quite large). Location is good as well - right in the historic downtown. Fantastic value - high quality and low price. PLUS breakfast is included. It was definitely the best hostel I stayed in in my one month trip in Ecuador.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I came here after recommendation of a friend that I met a while back in Montanita. All I have to say I really loved the place for a diversity of reason.

The first one was that I met a lot of really fun people there to talk to, party with, flirt with. Not to mention a lot of swiss german people there.

The second is that the owners are super friendly, flexible and nice. As well as the personnel, Bartender and what not! All of them are always full of advice for you.

The first few nights, I was there were a bit empty but during the week end, the place filled up real nice!

The internet is really good for inside the old town.

I personally really liked the place but you need to be forward and not afraid of communicating.

Room Tip: Dorms are pretty good, if you can get one on a quiet side it will be nice and you will sleep really...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for two nights and really enjoyed myself. It is a fairly new place with really comfy beds and blankets, decent breakfast and good showers etcetera. The bar at the entrance of the hostel is a good spot to relax and meet other travellers, they have nice drinks and especially like the Tiburon drink they make.

The owners are very friendly and willing to help you out if you have any questions about Cuenca and surroundings. If you go on a weekend chances are that you will be dancing in a Cuenca bar with the owners and other travellers working at the hostel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at yakumama and have already recommended it to friends who have agreed with me. Location is great, facilities are fairly clean, included breakfast was yummy but small (add a fruit salad! It was delicious).I slept very, very well in the hammock dormitory, but make sure you bring a sleeping bag, it gets cold at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I also had the misfortune of staying here for 4 nights and can only reinforce the very negative comments from other reviewers with regards the owners and staff who have taken rude to a new level. Generally they are surly, dismissive of you when you want to speak to them or order drinks etc. and seem to think you should be grateful to them for running a hostel.

During my stay I borrowed some towels and additional pillows at a cost of $5 dollars per item of which the majority is given back when you return them at the end of your stay. Upon returning the items I received the money due back but was then challenged by the staff if I was not happy to come back with my partner to the packed bar area to quote "have an argument with the owners"

Bizarre is all I can say as I was satisfied with the money returned and had not challenged the staff at all.

Sorry guys your hostel is good but you need to realise that this is a service industry so customer service is paramount so I suggest some training is required NOW.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I agree with other reviewers that his hostel has a lot of potential which unfortunately won't be realised whilst it is owned by people with an attitude problem!

The building itself is nice enough and clearly some thought has gone into the decor and the theme of the place, however it is sadly lacking in many ways and badly executed. Although it is apparently new, some things look new and others are filthy. The place is unclean and needs a thorough cleaning, we stayed 4 nights and our room was not serviced once even though we requested it be done. I am not sure it was cleaned in between the last guests and us although the sheets appeared to have been changed - I don't even want to contemplate that they may not have been. We had to constantly ask for a new toilet roll when it ran out, in the end I purchased my own - it was quicker! The bathroom was filthy and the lampshade on the lamp next to our bed was disgusting. That said, it was the only lampshade present in the whole room so........

Little things were also lacking like a bath mat in our private bathroom so the floor got wet and then filthy (I daren't not wear flip flops in there for fear of contracting something)! The shower was warm and decent enough pressure.

Our room was the private ensuite and although cheap and ok, it wasn't the best due to the reasons above. Also each room has a name, when my partner asked for the key once, the woman owner rudely corrected his pronunciation! I could not believe her attitude, we paid for a room not a Spanish lesson!

The breakfast has been commented upon by others and I will say it was nice enough, if basic. It would have been even nicer if it could have been served with a smile rather than a scowl! One morning I came in for breakfast and because the person on duty was eating his food on duty, he gave me a glare because I bothered to ask for a coffee. To be fair if he hadn't been so rude the entire stay I would have said finish your breakfast first, but because he showed absolutely no consideration to anyone, I showed him the same courtesy and went ahead and ordered.

It makes so sense that breakfast is not served until 8am given most tours collect people at 8am, I don't understand why they do not serve from 7.30am. One morning we had an early start for a tour. As our bus was late we asked for just the coffee from our breakfast. We drank it and left when the bus arrived. When we returned from the tour, rude barman asked for the money for two coffees, when I politely explained it was part of our breakfast we didn't even have, he said no and only gave up when I stood my ground - ridiculous!

We hired three towels and two extra pillows, alhtough we provided our own pillow cases as they couldn't find any! We had to pay a despoit on each which they quickly required but took 2 hours to pay back when we returned the items! I think they were hoping we'd forget, I didn't!

Overall the attitude of the staff except for one part-time guy stinks and the owners too. This won't change and makes for an uncomfortable stay. They have an arrogance that would suggest they are running the most successful hotel in the world! Unfortunately they are not and if their attitude doesn't change it will become even less successful.

I've given two stars as the building is nice and the garden with live music is fun plus the drinks are fairly cheap.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal Yakumama? Share your experiences!